MERGED ---> the fly.... why isnt it on now? + The Fly officially off the best of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the fly.... why isnt it on now?

i mean it really doesnt make a difference to me, because i have all of their songs on cd anyway... but i checked out www.billboard.com... and it said it was a 16 track set.... and then the shocking part came when "the first time" was the last listed song. alright.. they made a typo... i know that the fly was last track listed on u2.com... so i'll go check it out. when i went to www.u2.com, i clicked on all the new info for the best of 1990-2000, and "the fly" was not there.

this was their first real single of the 90's, one of their more rockin tunes, and a fan favorite.

now it could be a typo, and someone tell me i'm dreaming.

no lemon? no big deal.... no "wild horses"? i'll live... no "if god will send..."? i'm happy... but no 'fly'? if it's true that the fly is taken off the track listing.... i'm gonna be really pissed at interscope (or is it still island?) for screwing up that poorly.

but then again.... two new songs, 4 new mixes, a decent b-sides album AND new dvd's coming out... u2 isn't doing too bad.

this post isnt meant to be bitchin in any way, by the way. i'm just trying to find out of this bull is true, or if i'm just hallucinating :sexywink:

AHHH! It's off on U2.com!!! I'm already upset enough at the removal of Lemon and WGRYWH, but THE FLY?!? Dude, it's like...one of the most enduring, most important, BEST songs of the 90's! Oh dear God, I hope this is just a typo...:sad:

This MUST be a typo!! :sad: :sad: :sad: However if it isn't, that means they've left off Lemon and The Fly, two of the very best '90s U2 efforts. Both songs are pretty unique, couldn't they cut some ballads out instead?:mad:

I hope record company pressure isn't to blame....Stuck In A Moment's inclusion already has me slightly suspicious....:sad: :sad: :sad: :down:

It's true The Fly has mysteriously disappeared off the tracklist at U2.com. I can't imagine it being now used as the hidden bonus track though maybe that's what they are going to do with it.

I'm betting on The Fly as the hidden track. I actually thought that the first time I saw The Fly as the last song.

You know, U2's people read Interference. Maybe they are punishing us for all our earlier bitching. :reject:

lol. I agree with Mikal. The Fly is probably a ghost track. The U2.com people probably just screwed up and typed it in as a regular track, so when the realized their error, they fixed it.

Tip Top Prince said:
Maybe it's the Bonus/Mystery track, so it'll be there, but it's not supposed to be 'listed'. :cool:

Good theory...it will be interesting to find out!

The Fly= #1 Hit in UK
Lemon= #1 Hit in Australia
Both= Not officially on new album (since The Fly is probably hidden)

Am I missing something here?

oh my god this is fuckin stupid if its a hidden track ill be seriously ticked off; The Fly is my fav. U2 song - why can't Lemon be the hidden track? U2 r stupid 4 doin this

I noticed that when the official release first came out it said something about '16 Tracks' - but I counted 17. I didn't say anything, though - figured it's the bonus track.

- z -

i can see myself lettin a mate listen 2 the best of and he asks "so whats the best song?" i reply "oh its The Fly but uve gotta fast forward 3 mins after the last song to hear it" - sounds stupid, doesnt it. now is havin the best song EVER as a hidden track a good thing? NO IT IS NOT :( :sad:

How could they not put The Fly on? That was the single that introduced the new U2 of the 90's! I think of all the 90's singles that would should be on there the most. I know it wasn't a huge US chart hit, peaking at I think #61, but still wasn't it a #1 hit in the UK?

I have to say I am very suprised at the tracklisting...

No Walk On...or Elevation...or The Fly (the song that paved the way for 90's U2)...or

the first time???
the hands that built america???

whatver, not the end of the world but really kind of strange to me....

The Fly officially off the best of

Those looking at u2.com today might have noticed that they reposted the best of tracklistings and the first time is the last track with the fly gone. Its also been noted on rollingstone.com and billboard.com

THIS ABSOLUTELY SUCKS>
the 1990's to me when looking at u2 was the fly and lemon. both are not on it and therefore, this best of is A FARCE>>>>>>>>>>>
They should remove The First Time (never was a single to begin with) and Staring at the Sun (this song bombed severly) and include these two tracks.

I guess the Fly isn't even on the DVD as well anymore. What a disgrace.............

soctheo - Not that i am defending the tracklisting completely, because i am quite dissapointed, most of all with the exlusion of Lemon and Please. But Staring at the Sun is a must on the album. Not only a great song, but it did NOT bomb. In fact it was top 25 in the U.S. (quite good for U2) and I believe number 1 in Canada.

Aside from that, the Fly should be the last song on the album with The First Time as the hidden track (if there even is a hidden track)

ericb said:
I know it wasn't a huge US chart hit, peaking at I think #61, but still wasn't it a #1 hit in the UK?

Ok so does this mean that they are gearing this best off for the US market???? kinda appears so when you look at both Lemon and The Fly- I remember that here in Australia that both of these songs went to either #1 or top 3 (just cant remember the exact figures) and appears that they were both kinda big elsewhere in the world, apart from America, please tell me this is not so, why do they always make everything so American (please dont flame me Americans) but you have to look at this from my perspective- no elevation tour here and now they leave off two of their biggest Australian hits from the 90s of their supposed best off- gee U2 really push my friendship sometimes!!!!!:angry:

womanfish said:
Aside from that, the Fly should be the last song on the album with The First Time as the hidden track (if there even is a hidden track)

I agree with womanfish here. I think the tracklisting will be better when The Fly is officially included (although I think it's still weird to be an album closer) and The First Time moved to the hidden/bonus track section. Don't get me wrong, I love The First Time (it's the best song on Zooropa, IMHO), but it is indeed a hidden gem. So, just like October on the first Best Of, it maybe works best as an extra track (and as it is quite downtempo it's also a perfect album closer).
Then again, if I had my say about the total tracklisting we would have seen some differences (and maybe even more pissed off fans as there are now with this tracklisting).

C ya!

Marty

Honestly, I think the Fly is a perfect hidden track

"The First Time" plays, and you get all peaceful. The music fades away, and just a bit later... "The Fly" comes on and scares the bejeezus out of you. Putting it after "The First Time" really plays up the nature of the 90s, the unexpected sounds. It comes at you out of nowhere, and just BAM!

You know, when I came up with my proposed 90-00 tracklisting a few years ago, I actually had The Fly as the first song on the album, because its such a rocker. Might be interesting to see how it works as the last song. Right now, I don't like it. I think they could have made The First Time the hidden track, as it is much in the same vein as October. But we'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom