MERGED->Check out U2/Mary J Blige version of One on U2exit.com + Mary does it better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Check out U2/Mary J Blige version of One on U2exit.com

They played on the Shelter from the Storm concert.

I agree with U2log.com, that is one of their best ever performances of One - IMO it is up there with the famous orchestra version. Great, great voice from Bono and amazing singing from Mary J.

Wow, that was awesome. It was quite clear Bono wanted to play backup and let Mary J take the spotlight, and she pulled it off brilliantly.

I don't think Bono had a choice in the matter. Mary J has one of the strongest voices I've ever heard.

It was a great version, especially the "did I ask too much" verse and on out, she kept getting louder and more powerful. Really not a fan of hers, but man, that was a great version.

Can't be bothered. I'm totally bored of One and involving Mary :barf: Blige just makes it worse.

I thought she did an ok job!:shrug:

I kinda agree with what u say about One Axver, but when it was announced they were gonna play a song for this event, did anyone EVER think at ANY time that it would be anything other than 'One'?:wink:

Aardvark747 said:
I thought she did an ok job!:shrug:

I kinda agree with what u say about One Axver, but when it was announced they were gonna play a song for this event, did anyone EVER think at ANY time that it would be anything other than 'One'?:wink:

Well, I tried to be optimistic, that maybe they realised dedicating One to everything under the sun was sucking it dry of meaning ...

As I wrote in another thread, I felt Blige's vocals are almost too good - too pure - and they lack that scratchiness that adds so much depth and pleading to the song. Bono's version shines as a result of his vocal style.

Nonetheless, Blige's R&B style provided a new perspective to the song. She seemed a bit flat at first, but really kicked it up near the end. This performance was nowhere near as good as some of the ZOO TV performances (with the extra verse) but it was an outstanding pseudo-cover.

As for the "rededication" aspect... I cannot think of a better song than "One" for this concert, just as "Walk On" was perfect for 9/11. The song emphasizes the universality of humanity, which was the theme of this charity drive.

Given that "One" is one of U2's most popular songs, given that U2 is very popular and given Blige's popularity, I believe this performance hit across many demographics. And that is the ultimate goal - to appeal to as many people as possible to help those who need it the most. In that regard, U2/Blige succeeded brilliantly.

doctorwho said:
As for the "rededication" aspect... I cannot think of a better song than "One" for this concert, just as "Walk On" was perfect for 9/11. The song emphasizes the universality of humanity, which was the theme of this charity drive.

Here's some better choices: Drowning Man, Stay, Wake Up Dead Man, Walk On, and most particularly, One Tree Hill. One Tree Hill could not be more perfect. "And when it's raining, raining hard, that's when the rain will break my heart." Perfect.

A song doesn't need to be a top ten hit to emotionally affect millions.

Doesn't need to be, but its a safer bet. The last thing you want on a charity drive is hundreds of thousands of people going, "What the fuck was that? Forget about the hurricane, I wanna listen to U2." Or, "What the fuck was that? That was awful, I don't wanna watch this crap anymore."

Meghan said:
Doesn't need to be, but its a safer bet. The last thing you want on a charity drive is hundreds of thousands of people going, "What the fuck was that? Forget about the hurricane, I wanna listen to U2." Or, "What the fuck was that? That was awful, I don't wanna watch this crap anymore."

I'm not sure I see your point. I think U2 would've been the only artist I'm seriously familiar with on that show, and it doesn't matter a jot. If a song's emotionally affecting, it's emotionally affecting. If a song's been sucked of meaning, it's One- I mean, it's been sucked of meaning.

Honestly, if U2 are just going to play One, it goes to show they're becoming a charity jukebox and I have no interest in hearing it.

While I don't really care what they played.
I think One lost its energy after Zoo TV, that great perfromance at the War Child Concert.
I can't really comment, as i've only experienced this tours rendition.

Prehaps Walk On or MLK -> Where The Streets Have No Name even Stuck In A Moment?...something other than One....which is a great song. But we've heard enough at charity events.

One's been pretty tired sounding - the last two tours - (I don't think any live version comes close to the album version) but this was very, very good.

Mary J Blige's voice offers a fresh take on the song and she did a fantastic job - particularly from the "did I ask too much" on out.

And is it just me or does Bono tend to sound better on such occasion than the usual tour versions? This version - and his solo apperance a few years back in Modena - is how the song is done.

Last edited:
It might have got to do with the fact that he hasn't just sung 20+ songs at these occasions :shrug:

Axver said:

Here's some better choices: Drowning Man, Stay, Wake Up Dead Man, Walk On, and most particularly, One Tree Hill. One Tree Hill could not be more perfect. "And when it's raining, raining hard, that's when the rain will break my heart." Perfect.

A song doesn't need to be a top ten hit to emotionally affect millions.

How likely is it U2 would play any of those again (save for Stay - a song about a abusive relationship doesn't fit and Walk on - was used for 9/11), realistically?

One fits the occasion far more, it's no surprise it's so often used for charity compilation/shows.

I think One was a perfect choice for a charity concert. But I did not like this performance at all. I did not like Mary J. Blige's vocal, I thought Bono sounded tired, and the synth was overwhelmingly loud. Sorry, but I have to give this one a :down:

Wow! I've hear "One" a couple of thousand times by now, but Mary J. Blige really electrified it. (By the way, that's the first time I've ever heard her sing anything.) The song is so amazingly versatile. It was like a door opened between two worlds when she sang it. (I don't know anything about her music or style of musice; and, let's face it, there are not so many African-American U2 fans out there.)

On the other hand (tongue in cheek), Bono really needs to stop singing with people like Mary J. Blige, Pavarotti, etc. Bono sounds great alone and with U2, but when someone like Pavarotti is exchanging verses with him he sounds like an amateur. That's another thing I like about him.

I like Mary J Blige and think she's an amazing singer, and liked to hear a new twist on the sound, but it didn't quite gel. Bono did sound kind of tentative.

While I know it's not about the camera angles and stuff, what was up with those camera angles?

So yeah, not their greatest performance, but it was an appropriate song to choose, and even though the performance was shaking, it had a lot of heart.

Re: the arguing over song choice: predictable, annoying and depressing.

Personally, I thought it was a great performace and Mary really added to the song. The extra verse at the end would've been fantastic, but I still really liked the way they did it.

Oh, and even if I may agree that "One" is getting kind of old since it's played at all of these types of events, I think complaining that they didn't play some obscure song from their back catalogue is somewhat innapropriate and unnecessary. This isn't a fucking setlist from the Vertigo tour. This is a charity event. :huh:

I enjoyed this rendition-as said by other posters, I liked the new style added my Mary J. Usually I can't stand her or her music but this was different, I guess.

It was a good version I thought, I've never been much of a fan of Mary J's, but she seemed to take control of the song pretty well.

Despite how many times they use this song for charity events, it just fits.

gherman said:
Forget the song did you hear Chris Rock say "George Bush hates midgets"

Yeah!...That was hilarious. I was wondering when someone would mention this. It meant nothing and everything at the same time.

She's a good singer, but not that good. I can't seperate her from other R&B artists. I wish U2 would stick to what they know. The day they perform with that Mariah Carey, I'm out of here.

One is One, and should be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom