MERGED-->Alicia Keys & Bono song = stunning! + new Bono song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:

Yay! Yet another negative comment from Shaun. Joy!

I've read just three threads today, and found negative comments from you in all three!

You create threads just to rip apart U2 and Bono. You take over threads with insults about U2 and Bono and never have anything of merit to write. It amazes me that you are still allowed to post.

But then, despite this, people tell me that *I* am the one who needs to chill. I guess it's far better to have negativity and nonsensical posts - ones that dominate this board - rather than read things of merit.

I've been on only 2 threads today and he's been annoying in both of them. I think we should just ignore him, he's looking for attention...

I can't get the link to work right - it plays for about two seconds and then quits. Oh, well, I only have to wait until Tuesday to buy it from iTunes.

I think it's wonderful that Bono and Alicia did this, but I love the original version with Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush so much that it's hard to imagine anyone improving on it.

I like this version but not as much as the Peter Gabriel one, which I'm not that crazy about either. There are other songs on 'So' that I prefer... like Red Rain, In Your Eyes and That Voice Again. But anyway, it's nice Bono and Alicia did this... it's for a good cause. :up:

It's okay. I do love the original. Bono's vocal, I think he was aiming for the right thing, a bit of force, but I don't think he's quite pulled it off. His voice flat out wobbles in some parts and compared to Alicia Keys it also comes over a little too strong and fast.

Alicia Keys is hot.

It really sounds like two people just fiddling around on the piano trying to cover Gabriel/Bush from memory. Probably a grower, but it totally falls short of the origional. Bono would be lucky to touch PG's voice on JT or Lovetown, much less now. The arrangement kills the atmosphere as well. Listening again now for a 3rd time and I think it could have been done so much better.

Great choice of song though!

I just heard it right through, there's a point in the middle where Bono completely bones it that I hadn't heard when I first heard it. He's got to remember that mostly, with his voice, less is more. The big notes aren't big if you pull them all the time. That one was crying out for his smooth/smokey voice, but he's gone for stadium.

I agree though, brilliant choice of song. They seem to put these charity things together in one afternoon, so it's a decent effort in that regard I guess.

Yeah, yeah, good cause, etc......etc.........but the song is rather tuneless and drab as are pretty much every charity song.

With these things they have to go with "epic" tracks, even if they don't cut it musically people will still buy it because it is person X & person Y singing song Z.

If they wanted Bono to do a PG track that would have totally owned while still having some relevance to the cause... Games Without Frontiers would have been brilliant... A fun track with an easy to reach melody that Bono could have put his own little touch on. :up:

that is a great song done beautifully by PG and Kate Bush, and even later when PG sang it with Paula Cole during the live tours to support 'Us'.

it's loading now..... hopefully I won't hate it

Last edited:
okay I finally got to listen.
The original craps all over it, but that's not a surprise.
All things considered it's pretty good.
Actually better than I expected to hear.
I thought Bono would fuck around trying to be a soul singer on the song trying to match with Alicia Keys but besides botching "e-ffec-ted", it's a a pretty good vocal take. You can tell he's lost some of his lower register, that smoker's rasp peaking through early on.

Hell, after New Day and a couple of other Bono collaborations I've heard the last several years, this shit is gold.

I'm not so wild on Bono's duets. When he does things like this, I wish he'd do them solo. This is nice for what it is, but it's not something I'll be listening to frequently. I might purchase it just to support the cause.

Oh, and I can't stand Alicia Keys.

Not to argue...lol...but I cant for the life of me figure out how Bono would do this song solo

Nor for that matter, how anyone can hate Alicia Keys..

Try Mya or Ashanti - easily hateable

but not Alicia...nope :)

gabrielvox said:
Not to argue...lol...but I cant for the life of me figure out how Bono would do this song solo

Nor for that matter, how anyone can hate Alicia Keys..

Try Mya or Ashanti - easily hateable

but not Alicia...nope :)

Oh, I so agree with you Gabe -Mya and Ashanti are annoying although Mya is a great dancer.
Alicia Keys is a wonderful, creative and she has way more class than most female artist. She does not believe in the "sex sells" thing. IMO.
I like the duet, although I have never heard the original to compare. This song is quite sad though. I hope they raise alot of money for there cause.

I'll wait for an MP3 (unless there's one between here and the first page. Haven't checked). But that is a tall order to fill. The original version was incredible.

Ok I'm listening now, and it's pretty good. I'm not a huge Keys fan, but this is good. I love the bridge when Bono sings.

It's okay...:shrug:

I think the two things that mess up this track for me:

1). The mix--- With Bono sounding distant & Alicia up close and overpowering, it sounds less like a real duet and more like two separate studio performances (quite possibly was..).

2). The words aren't "Bono words." Bono writes songs with words that sound musical to him---and those words suit his voice. You can almost tell that these words aren't his, and if you imagine Peter Gabriel's voice saying them, you'd think Gabriel's voice makes them musical. The words & the arrangement just don't suit Bono's voice, IMO.

I honelstly like it...I think it was a great song choice and Bono and Alicia Keys really mesh well... Overall i liked it

I just got it from iTunes. It's really, really good - the only reason it's not as good as the original is because the original is perfection.

Ive never heard the original version until now. I felt it flat next to Bono and Alicia's peformance. I wonder if because it's such a wonderful song, your first hearing is the one you end up loving.

I think I prefer Bono and Alicia Keys.
It's got more emotion and heart in it.
I still think the original is amazing though.

Hmm...definately have to disagree. The only reason the cover that Bono and Alicia sing *might feel like it has more punch or emotion I would offer is because of the cause...what I mean is that because its something we deeply care about and connect with now, it hits harder...plus Alicia adds a certain soulfulness that to the modern listener might feel stronger than Kate Bush..

If you were an 80s kid like me, the original was easily one of the most emotional songs of that time. And to see it done live.....WOW.....

Still, I think B does it justice. But I still prefer the original...theres not much of Peter Gabriel that I dont like mind you..

G

Last edited:
I liked it much more than I was expecting. I'm not much of an Alicia Keyes fan, but neither am I a huge fan of the original (I like Peter Gabriel well enough, but don't particularly care for Kate Bush), so I dug it.

I did like going to the iTunes store and seeing the cover, where it said:

ALICIA
BONO

like that. My name should always be displayed prominently next to Bono's. ... granted, it's not as cool as Bono saying "Alicia, this is for you" during the 10/10 MSG show, but this girl named Alicia will take it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom