McCormick tells a bit more on the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LeopoldoBloom said:
ATYCLB songwriting scares me. I think it was among the worst U2 has done. Why? Because it is so un-subtle. Achtung Baby was great because you had to listen carefully to the lyrics and read into them, it was poetic. ATYCLB was just slap-you-in-the-face sort of stuff so that the lowest common denominator would understand - I mean "peace on earth", "grace"??? Give me a break, there was a time when U2 could convey those ideas indirectly and subtly and thus more powerfully. So I hope ATYCLB songwriting refers to the music and NOT the lyrics.

Please. :rolleyes:

Are you referring to such past great, subtle lyrics like in "With or Without You" where the song discusses living, uh, with or without a person? :scratch:

Or perhaps you mean such hidden gems like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" which is blatantly full of war thoughts and phrases. Or perhaps you meant "Even Better than the Real Thing" which is full of spiritual thoughts (as if).

Of course, there's always the classic "Babyface", the cliche-filled "Love Is Blindness" (even the title is a cliche), or the thought-provoking "October" with its leaves so bare.

Bono's lyrics have always had a duality to them. At times he has beautiful ideas presented in abstract ways, like "One". Then there are times he just has "fun" ("Some Days Are Better than Others"). And sometimes he is far more blunt and direct ("Pride (In the Name of Love)").

The lyrics on ATYCLB fall right into line. You mentioned two more obvious songs, but others like "Walk On" and "Kite" are far more subtle. Even "Beautiful Day" has a hidden message not apparent on the surface (the beauty of life and of the earth iself, from the perspective of a man who has lost everything).

I'm tired of seeing ATYCLB take such a bad rap, considering it's one of U2's best and probably one of the best albums released this decade. It's not that different from past U2 work to deserve such harsh criticism, yet it's still fresh and thought-provoking enough to be inspirational. I listen to it far more than other "classics" like JT.

Judging from the review and from the recent photo shoots especially Bono's "looK" I have came to the conlusion that we're going to get one weird ass trippy experimental country rock record!!

yeee hawww!

VertiGone said:
On initial listen, the worst part for me about ATYCLB wasn't the songwriting necessarily, (although "a mole, digging in a hole" isn't the greatest) but it was more Bono's voice. It sounded extremely strained, especially on songs like Wild Honey and WILATW. As for the songwriting, certainly the album didn't have the depth and intimacy of achtung baby, but then again as larry has said, ATYCLB was U2 competing with Brittany Spears. In the years up to the release, boy bands were all the rage and i think that probably influenced their songwriting (to some extent). They were looking for songs with immediate tunefulness. On that level i think it was a resounding success. This album, they really aren't out to prove anything to anyone, so it should be more natural and U2 like, which is a good thing.

While it's true Bono's voice has aged - what else could have happened to it, siging all those notes all those years? - I liked the conviction and the passion on the album, not heard IMO since the 80's and some moments on AB. He sounded very weak on Pop.
BTW, I think ATYCLB is the one U2 album where they aren't proving anything to anyone.

Leopoldo Bloom: apart from the 90's albums, Bono's songwriting has always been pretty direct.

Discothequelp: apart from biggest rockers Gone and Last night on earth, Pop has rock songs in mid tempo. (counting Discotheque as a techno song of course)

3 rocking songs will tie ATYCLB's BD, Elevation and New York.

Last edited:
I think the title is definitely going to be 'How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'. It is a philisophical idea in a couple of ways: First, Bono has equated Africa and it's economic and AIDS struggles as a bomb about to explode, about to be destroyed and flushed down the toilet. So this title could be about his work towards trying to stop that destruction. Second, it could be about the war in Iraq. Iraq was presented as a bomb ready to go off and threaten the world. The U.S. invaded as a way to "dismantle" it, but the title could raise the question, "How is the best way to dismantle it??"

Anyway, I would say that I'm 95% sure this will be the title. Add this to the fact that the domain name was registered on the same day as Vertigo and you have the album title and lead single.

I really hope the album isn't called 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'. I just think it sounds bad. Think of it on a CD case, it would just look awkward and silly.

And Bono, PLEASE, I don't want this album's theme to be AIDS OR Iraq!!! Sing about something more personal. I don't want a political album.

shart1780 said:
I really hope the album isn't called 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'. I just think it sounds bad. Think of it on a CD case, it would just look awkward and silly.

And Bono, PLEASE, I don't want this album's theme to be AIDS OR Iraq!!! Sing about something more personal. I don't want a political album.

The album title is a bit meaningless to me. That is, it is what it is. "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is about as good as "The Joshua Tree", "Unforgettable Fire", "Rattle & Hum", "Zooropa" or "Achtung Baby" (especially this one). If anything, at least the "Atomic Bomb" title has some meaning behind it.

However, your comment about AIDS or politics is unique!!! Most U2 fans WANT a political album. If there was one criticism I heard about "Achtung Baby" it's that it was too personal. Most U2 fans loved "Joshua Tree" for its political sides.

Knowing U2, most likely the album will be a mix of both. While AB was more personal and "War" more political, the bulk of U2's albums (JT, "Pop", "Zooropa", "Boy", "October" and ATYCLB) had both themes expressed.

Who cares what the title of the album is (is ATYCLB that great of a title?) or whether 3 songs really rock, 4 songs are pop and the other 4 are slower. I mean if the songs are good, who the f*#k cares what the tempos are?

I know I was looking more towards and all "Rock" album, but if the Edge plays his guitar like he did on War and Achtung Baby, and Bono sings like he did on the Joshua Tree (yeah, yeah I know, I know) and Adam and Larry kick it like they always have, hell call the album "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up" and I will buy it and love it.

Originally posted by Roland of Gilead

...but what I really loved about Neil's comments (and this was pointed out earlier here) was that this is an Edge album. That comment, to me, speaks volumes and right away separates itself from All That...

Are you saying that Edge doesn't have a big guitar role in ATYCLB?! Are you kidding me? You say you're a huge ATYCLB fan, but you don't think Edge plays some great 'guitar on it. Put on some headphones and listen to Elevation, Stuck, Kite, New York, Grace, and especially IN A LITTLE WHILE. Edge has about 6 guitars playing during New York, and the left guitar on In A Little While is just plain cool. ATYCLB was one of the finest albums that Edge has played guitar on. It's not big and in-your-face as much as Pop as, but it is still a very strong and important part of the album.

discothequeLP said:

Are you saying that Edge doesn't have a big guitar role in ATYCLB?!

The guitars are great on All That..., but All That... is NOT a guitar driven album in the way that Achtung Baby and other U2 albums are. All That... was very much U2's "Pop" album. Even Pop is more of a guitar driven album than All That... . I think Bono said it best once about All That... , it is 4 guys playing together in a room. That is exactly what I hear. No one is there to outshine the other and I believe this is what Neil meant by an "Edge album" coming out this November. We are going to hear the Edge really blow away our ears and minds. ....and I want it now!!!

ps - I can't for the life of me understand all the All That... negativity around these parts. My comments were not to be understood in a negative light concerning All That... . I love it! It is 4th on my U2 chart.

I'm not saying that because I think the album will be titled How to Dismantle... that it will necessarily be completely political. But maybe a song or two brought that title up as a possibility and they liked it. I like Achtung because of it's personal nature and i hope that this album has personal themes as well as more global themes. But during the recording of Achtung they were going through personal hell, and it made it's way into their songs, which created a monster album. They are all pretty happy at the moment, so I'm not really expecting a dark, heavy Achtung-like album unfortunately.

I kinda like the Atomic Bomb title. It's a little strange, and a little awkward, but I like it.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Who cares what the title of the album is (is ATYCLB that great of a title?) or whether 3 songs really rock, 4 songs are pop and the other 4 are slower. I mean if the songs are good, who the f*#k cares what the tempos are?

thank you, my friend. I was a little surprised to hear only 3 songs will be rockers, after ALL the things that Bono has said. But in the end, who cares? As long as its good, everyone who is close to the album has said its great. The biggest thing to take from this article is that its EDGE'S RECORD! We're in for something good.

About the whole politics and AIDS subject, I think theres a 5% chance that this kind of stuff will be on the album. I remember Bono was asked if he'd discuss the African situation in the new album and he said no.

The only reason I thought "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" was a good title is because I thought it was going to be a full on rocker, but now thats its not I think they should come up with something else.

RademR said:

The only reason I thought "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" was a good title is because I thought it was going to be a full on rocker

You know, maybe Neil doesn't think the other 8 or so songs "Rawk", but maybe you and I do. Maybe Shaun Vox will hear this album and say "hell, U2 really put up this time." Maybe Salome will hear this album and say "wow, they really have a lot of nice acoustic influences on this album!"

Maybe we should all just wait to hear the album ourselves and then decide what we all really think. Speculations leads to......to disappointment.

I also get sick of all the ATYCLB bashing. Whether you care for the tempos or the ballads or not it's a great album. The songwriting is beautiful on it, and it was the centerpiece of one of the most successful tours of all time. U2 will not please their entire fan base every freakin' time and I don't expect that this album will either.

I have heard the clip and I must say that it sounds awesome, and gives me great hope for the new album. I hope this album gives something to everyone in this forum, but I know that some people will love it immensely and other will despise it and the rest will be in the middle.

As long as the songs are good, whether they rock, or make me sit I don't care. Just give me a great U2 album.

ATYCLB was an amazing album, "Kite" was on that album! They could have put that as track #1 and left the other 10 with just guitar feedback and it would have been great. There are great tunes on it. Do I like it as much as AB? No, but I think AB is the greatest album ever created. I feel you cant really compare the two, their two totally different albums in two different directions.

The only reason I thought "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" was a good title is because I thought it was going to be a full on rocker, but now thats its not I think they should come up with something else

But you dismantle one with LOVE (c Bono), not rock tunes. And there's always been, and always will be LOVE in the music. :heart:

"Skykisser" will be the name...
but I won't bet a ? on it

Desperation is a tender trap
It gets you every time...

i don't want a full rocker. for that there's lenny kravitz.
i want simply what u2 deliver best: graet songs with touching melodies and inspired poetry, being some of them with more experimental approaches revealing other sounds, other atmospheres, other feelings...

Tizer said:

But you dismantle one with LOVE (c Bono), not rock tunes. And there's always been, and always will be LOVE in the music. :heart:

*kisses tizer hard on the mouth*

I was beginning to think I was alone in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I would like to hear a more vibrant record than ATYCLB. I ain't sayin' it's a poor record, it's just not my U2 record. I'm hoping for a mixed bag which you can rest assured you'll get with U2. But I must admit I'm looking forward to hearing the 'rock' songs we've been hearing about. Vertigo from what I hear is sounding pretty tight. I can hear elements of The Who influence in there.

I see the U2 record's of the '90's as the brothers (AB, Zooropa, Pop) strong and independant sounding and ATYCLB as the little sister (softer but quietly assured). I would like there to be another brother on the way!

Mmmmm.. I remember Bono saying about POP that, in the end, it was the typical U2 album... which makes sense when you think about it.
I think a typical U2 album has a real sense of unexplored territory... new and strange places, that couldn't be seen before... at least for U2...
So, I really think that's what McCormick is trying to say with "the usual ambience and weird adventures" ... Every great U2 album has had that, and I hope the new album has it as well...

I LOVE THE TITLE -"How to dismantle an atomic bomb" it is such a U2 title, and what other group has come close to a title like that? ITS F-ck-n-g BRILLIANT. Other then that, I hope that this album is political, and that bono is sincere as he was on the war album singing every word, with rage and desire, so that the people can hear, grow, and have a change in us.
Every U2 album is diffrent, and that is how I want it to be, I dont want an atyclb2, or another war, or another JT, I could never say what U2 ablum is my favorite, because personally, I love every U2 album the same as the other. HAIL U2 for life, and may we always carry on U2's spirit.
Peace

macphisto23 said:
I LOVE THE TITLE -"How to dismantle an atomic bomb" it is such a U2 title, and what other group has come close to a title like that? ITS F-ck-n-g BRILLIANT. Other then that, I hope that this album is political, and that bono is sincere as he was on the war album singing every word, with rage and desire, so that the people can hear, grow, and have a change in us.
Every U2 album is diffrent, and that is how I want it to be, I dont want an atyclb2, or another war, or another JT, I could never say what U2 ablum is my favorite, because personally, I love every U2 album the same as the other. HAIL U2 for life, and may we always carry on U2's spirit.
Peace

*agrees with every word*:up:

Love the discussion in this thread. :yes:

And Rastat and macphisto23 are exactly correct - U2's albums eachhave their own distinct feeling and flavor.

The minute they become "predictable" is when they would lose their POTENCY to move us, inspire us and excite us. :hyper:

U2 's music works best in the deepest depths of our hearts and in the often unexplored territories of our souls. :wink:

It's great to see such excellent discussion about U2's music. :adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love: :hug: ;)

Is there a U2 album out that has more than 3 real rawk songs? I think from what I have heard and read so far the sound of this record can not be compared to ATYCLB. ATYCLB was a solid record but it did not make your hair stand up on the back of your neck like songs off of AB, POP, JT, UF did....at least for me. From the crappy recordings of ABOY, COBL I have heard some pretty cool stuff already...all in all I think this record is going to be so huge that 3 years from now people are going to be sick of U2 kinda like after AB

Back
Top Bottom