LP13 - It all comes down to this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:up:

Yep. I'd say their legacy was "cemented" with ATYCLB. At that point, they did it all...a well respected debut, huge commercial success, wide spread critical phase, reinvention, experimentation, critical backlash, a loss in popularity and finally culminating in a massive critical and commercial comeback which crucially created a new generation of fans. Everything a band can do, they've done. Nothing that they've done since 2001, or will do, IMO is going to significantly impact their legacy one way or another, and certainly comments that they're "damaging" their legacy are absurd. Despite them doing their best, most crucial and memorable work prior to 2001, that "comeback" was critical, IMO, to how they are regarded today.

Had they just fizzled out after Pop, it might be a different story. They'd still be respected and fondly remembered, but not among the elite of the elite as they are now.
Definitely agree.

Despite them doing their best, most crucial and memorable work prior to 2001, that "comeback" was critical, IMO, to how they are regarded today.
The comeback was especially critical as back then the general public would say that their 'best, most crucial and memorable work' was achieved prior to 1992.
And 10 years is a long time.
Which is also exactly why they seem determined that the new album has to perform well.

The comeback was especially critical as back then the general public would say that their 'best, most crucial and memorable work' was achieved prior to 1992.
And 10 years is a long time.
Which is also exactly why they seem determined that the new album has to perform well.

I think it's probably unrealistic for them to expect it again. But hey, if it happens they will have a legacy that is considered on par with any artist ever.

Article by Nice Matin re. the video shooting - it's in French:

U2 tournerait un clip dans des studios niçois | Nice | Nice-Matin

From ATU2:

The French newspaper Nice-Matin has a report out today with details from a visit to Rivera Studios in Nice, where it says U2 has been shooting a video since Tuesday.

Here's the original article in French, and here's a link to the Google translation. I'll highlight some of the English phrases from that translation:

"dozens of trucks filled with music equipment and spotlights"
"huge platform raised in the heart of Studio 1"
"surreal deployment of security personnel [with] British accents"
"they [U2] arrived here around 11am on Tuesday"

The article also mentions restrictions about using mobile phones and one studio employee comparing the scene to a visit by President Obama for the G20 (in 2011). It also says that a caterer is due to be on site through August 18.

http://www.atu2.com/news/nice-matin-u2-shooting-video-at-riviera-studios.html

I think it's probably unrealistic for them to expect it again. But hey, if it happens they will have a legacy that is considered on par with any artist ever.
I agree it's probably not realistic.
But it wouldn't be U2 if they were not aiming for something somewhat unrealistic.

Man, I hope this first single is as big as Beautiful Day or Vertigo, for the band's sake. They really seem to care about that sort of thing.

As a fan with whom U2's music has always resonated very strongly, I'm really looking forward to whatever they're going to throw at us. Especially after Invisible and Ordinary Love, both of which I liked a lot.

As a fan with whom U2's music has always resonated very strongly, I'm really looking forward to whatever they're going to throw at us. Especially after Invisible and Ordinary Love, both of which I liked a lot.

I would be expecting something more uptempo than those two. They are going to want to make a splash.
Just as long as it's nothing like Vertigo or GOYB. They wouldn't be that foolish.

ooh errr - didn't anyone spot this bit?

"Peut-être de la mise en images du premier morceau de leur nouvel album annoncé en 2015"

roughly translates to "maybe the video for the first song from their new album announced for 2015"

hopefully shoddy reporting though

I wouldn't worry - it hasn't been announced yet which it claims it has, and they are probably only reporting on whatever rumour they could find (most likely the billboard article)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well, I'd be fine with early 2015 if we get a single in the autumn. Just a confirmation that the album is finished would be a godsend at this stage.

I wouldn't worry - it hasn't been announced yet which it claims it has, and they are probably only reporting on whatever rumour they could find (most likely the billboard article)

:up:

Well, I'd be fine with early 2015 if we get a single in the autumn. Just a confirmation that the album is finished would be a godsend at this stage.

no way man - it's U2! we're not safe til we've got the damn thing in our hands! :D

#sauce?

:lol:

As far as I can tell from the article it says that the catering is ordered until 18 August, which is Monday.

As for the 2015 thing, I guess it's just media copying one another. The 2015 story goes back to the old Billboard article and while some media are simply copying that date, others (like the Irish Times) are sticking with the 2014 theory.

Let's see. It's a good sign that things have finally started to get moving, it won't be long until we hear/see something ( I hope).

no way man - it's U2! we're not safe til we've got the damn thing in our hands! :D

The worst part is you're right :(

As long as it's called 'the first single' and not 'a reminder that we're still out there' (like Invisible) I'll be ok though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom