LP 13/Invisible: Please return, there's stuff to see!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

Hold up, why is everyone so sure the album will be delayed now? The last time Bono was interviewed at the Golden Globes, he suggested the album wouldn't be out by June and nobody here believed him...thought he was full of it...now it's time to take him seriously? :scratch:

What am I missing?

Bono suggested in the interview that they were going to try to get it out by Summer, but that they "don't want to let anyone down". Suggesting that it might not be out until even later.

If so, they lost it a while ago, I feel like.

Here's what happened...

1) Pop goes out unfinished and mostly uncared for by anyone outside of their fanbase. This lack of confidence leads to a stripped down pop record that appealed to a hell of a lot more people and critics (although it now isn't as loved by their hardcore audience). In ATYCLB's defense (and I personally think it's a friggin' masterpiece), they didn't overthink that record whatsoever.

2) Larry says HTDAAB isn't quite there so the band spends extra time retooling it. "Native Son" becomes "Vertigo"..."Sometimes" literally changes shape entirely, etc.

3) Once again, the new album is momentarily shelved for some reworking before becoming what will be known as No Line On The Horizon. This could partially be due to the critical and fan reaction for HTDAAB just missing where the band wanted it to be. Bono himself said it's an album that's less than the sum of its parts (and that it annoyed him) while ATYCLB was more than its parts.

I don't think the last two records are necessarily worse for the retooling. Obviously, we know the HTDAAB material gained the spark that wasn't quite there earlier according to Adam/Larry (although some might argue otherwise). But it's definitely been a 15 year-plus process of lost confidence and perhaps a ten year process of really over analyzing everything about the recording process.

I also don't fucking get the point with Bono whining about HTDAAB. You won the Grammy for Album of the Year and it sold by the bucket load. Yes, your own ears realize that it's not a consistently great album, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that the last two record's least memorable moments were the generic songs that were rarely if ever played live. If you want to make a better LP, don't spend so much time putting on such shitty/bland tunes. Just have Edge play some weird chords over Eno's ambient shit and then mumble some stuff ("Exit", half of Original Soundtracks I). There's a new track and these albums are already better. You don't need 10 would-be singles. Practically every U2 fan would prefer some artsy/weird 4 minutes to some boring pop number.

Bono suggested in the interview that they were going to try to get it out by Summer, but that they "don't want to let anyone down". Suggesting that it might not be out until even later.

They'd be letting themselves down for once again producer shopping. What exactly do they want I wonder? They seem to place a lot of importance on the choice of producer but then seem to not show any conviction in sticking with it. Odds on we'll hear soon that Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite are being brought in.

ok i have a shit load of work to do today and don't want to be wasting my time on this rubbish... if anyone sees me posting any more today please kick me out or ban me or something :hug:

U2 is my favorite band after The Beatles. Joshua Tree is my favorite album ever, "Streets" is my favorite song and U2's best tracks do more for me than any other artist. I consider the last two albums to be about an 8 out of 10 and the best songs from HTDAAB ("Vertigo"..."Sometimes"..."City") honestly did more for me than practically anything else that came out in 2004. This is still a very capable, very good band, but they overthink things far too much and are too concerned with playing to the masses. I mean, do you think The Beatles ever actually gave a fuck about that? It just so happened where they were the Seinfeld of their day, putting out the most creative product and it also happened to coincide with what the public at large absolutely craved.

So, as a fan of my favorite active band, I just get annoyed at the five year gaps between new material and a new tour (they are, after all, the best live act of all time). I love their music so much that they annoy and frustrate me to no end with their schedules. I would much rather have a couple of unpolished albums with stuff like "Levitate" and "Native Son" than wait five years for a single new record that's still full of filler. Waiting four years for "One Step Closer" and "Crumbs" or five years for "Stand Up Comedy" is just effin ridiculous.

One theory is that the extra time involved actually helps keep the band from breaking up. The Beatles broke up in early 1970 after only being in the major spotlight for 6 or 7 years. The Beatles stopped touring in 1966 and their tour schedule in 1965-1966 was nothing like what U2 does these days. Far less shows. So U2 deals a lot with things the Beatles never had to.
The bands rate of album releases has not changed at all really in 20 years. I won't start to lose my cool until 2015 and the album is still not here yet. :wink:

But he already suggested that the album probably wouldn't be out by June at the Golden Globes....if we're taking his word this seriously, I don't see how these articles tell us much more about the album release. Most people just thought Bono was blowing smoke in attempt to make the actual album announcement/release more dramatic...I don't see how this is any different :shrug:

this is why low expectations are gooooooooooooooooood :love:

You can't have low expectations when you wait five years for something. Rationally, you would expect the album to be great if they spent five years reworking it or coming up with songs they felt were deserving.

Good to point out, again, that they haven't been working on this thing for that long. In real time, it could be like 18 months of honest effort, off-and-on. But with all of their downtime in between, it became five years in real time.

Misdirection from Bono I think. Album announced on Jimmy Fallon.

But he already suggested that the album probably wouldn't be out by June at the Golden Globes....if we're taking his word this seriously, I don't see how these articles tell us much more about the album release. Most people just thought Bono was blowing smoke in attempt to make the actual album announcement/release more dramatic...I don't see how this is any different :shrug:

i think it's the possible change in producers that giving everyone the jitters...

You can't have low expectations when you wait five years for something. Rationally, you would expect the album to be great if they spent five years reworking it or coming up with songs they felt were deserving.

Good to point out, again, that they haven't been working on this thing for that long. In real time, it could be like 18 months of honest effort, off-and-on. But with all of their downtime in between, it became five years in real time.

ok i should have said "zero expectations" - expect nothing, then anything more is nice...

Here's what happened...

I don't think the last two records are necessarily worse for the retooling. Obviously, we know the HTDAAB material gained the spark that wasn't quite there earlier according to Adam/Larry (although some might argue otherwise). But it's definitely been a 15 year-plus process of lost confidence and perhaps a ten year process of really over analyzing everything about the recording process.

I also don't fucking get the point with Bono whining about HTDAAB. You won the Grammy for Album of the Year and it sold by the bucket load. Yes, your own ears realize that it's not a consistently great album, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that the last two record's least memorable moments where the generic songs that were rarely if ever played live. If you want to make a better LP, don't spend so much time putting on such shitty/bland tunes. Just have Edge play some weird chords over Eno's ambien shit and then mumble some stuff "Exit", half of Original Soundtracks I). There's a new track and these records are already better.

I'd just like to say that I love "A Man And A Women" and that HTDAAB is my favorite U2 album!

These people have to be a fucking nightmare to work with. I know I shouldn't pity Danger Mouse because he probably got enough money out of it, but to work with them on and off for four years on twelve songs with only one song "being really finished" and then have them hire "extra producers" afterwards has to be unbelievably frustrating.

These people have to be a fucking nightmare to work with. I know I shouldn't pity Danger Mouse because he probably got enough money out of it, but to work with them on and off for four years on twelve songs with only one song "being really finished" and then have them hire "extra producers" afterwards has to be unbelievably frustrating.

Well, Rick Rubin and Chris Thomas had similar experiences.

How about the remaster? Is it delayed too?

It's actually fucking irritating that they had probably left open this past fall for a new album release back near the start of 2013 in case they needed it and instead ended up not putting anything out. We could've had a 25th anniversary Rattle & Hum set or a deluxe edition of that Zooropa remaster (20th anniversary). Instead, they clearly kept the field open figuring a new record could be out in the fall. And because a new album is somewhat imminent (as in, within the next year barring something unfortunate), the release schedule for that sort of product is clearly going to be halted in the meantime.

Well, Rick Rubin and Chris Thomas had similar experiences.

Yeah pretty sure that DM would be aware of their recent history with producers. When U2 come calling it's probably hard to say no. Whatever, this news today is really annoying. Why can't they learn from the past and stick with a producer through to the end?

Did I really just read that they're considering other producers? Please no.....

The part that's actually scariest is the fact that Bono said "Invisible" is being put out their because it's the first song that's finished.

Seriously, that's what he fucking said! :doh:

There are no other songs, therefore, that they aren't at least considering tinkering with. Nothing is complete in their eyes.

And what's funnier, we could've known this all along since Bono said they halted work on the album to begin the masterpiece known as "Ordinary Love"...so, not only did they spend God knows how long working on that Globes-bait, but nothing else was actually finished at that moment (except, perhaps, "Invisible").

And the photo shoots on the rooftop and the subway.
They've never appeared.

Jeez, if any of those things had to be with the album they most of been close to having something out. I just don't understand what the hell is going on. Seems like a huge waste of time if true.

To be fair, though, it doesn't say anything along the lines of scrapping Dangermouse's work. That's just our assumption.
The article's wording was he produced "most of" the album. That could be taken as him producing about 9 songs and some other person working on the final few.
Ah who knows.

I must say I really like all your posts tonight BigMacPhisto!

Personally, I don't get that some are saying that u2 doesn't care anymore.
I'd say the problem is that they care too much.
About having a hit single or album, about selling to the masses etc.

They might also be forcing something that is no longer there.
Good luck with that, since that is tough.

Or perhaps this album is taking so long, because they know it will be the last one and they want it to be a masterpiece. (where all 10/12 songs could be singles, no fillers).

Last album - last tour - BAM! - the end.
Go out on top!

Yeah pretty sure that DM would be aware of their recent history with producers. When U2 come calling it's probably hard to say no. Whatever, this news today is really annoying. Why can't they learn from the past and stick with a producer through to the end?

How about this, they play the whole album live in the studio one day and put it out like that. U2 Produced by U2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom