Love rescue me-a glimpse of transition to 90's U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I was listening to the song a while ago, and some of the lyrics made me think of the whole transition U2 made with the AB album.

"i conquered my past
the future is here at last"

U2 dealing with the 80's image and thinking about changing the attitude of the songs?

"in the cold mirror of a glass
i see my reflection pass
see the dark shades of what i used to be
see the purple of her eyes
the scarlet of my lies"

First idea about a new look=the Fly? Thinking about rejecting the stardom status, first sings of self doubt?
Betrayal-another similarity with AB.

"i have cursed thy rod and staff
they no longer comfort me"

I think this is the first U2 song where Bono, like later in the 90's, expresses doubt in his faith.

"i stand here at the entrance to a new world i can see
the ruins to the right of me will soon have lost sight of me"

Moving on to a new period in your life-but not really sure what's coming, a feel similar to Zoo station from AB.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

I agree this is a krasno thread.

I agree with the comments on the lyrical transition, but I think in terms of musical style, "God, Part II" from the same album began the transition, further augmented by the 1990 benefit song "Night and Day." I think poopkidu2 once said the same of "God, Part II."

~U2Alabama

I agree with Bama about God Part II.

Even though those lyrics mentioned in Love Rescue Me could be interpreted that way, I really doubt that's what Bono was writing about at that moment in time.

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

LOL, what's this? A "krasno" epidemy ? First TheU2, now U2Bama as well. What is the world coming to?
biggrin.gif

I don't know, i think God part II is very, ummm, Rattle and Hum IMO.
From the pre-AB time, i see the similarity to 90's U2 in Exit from JT. In terms of dark lyrics and the amount of Edge's guitar.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 11-10-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom