Love Is Blindness: Your Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
I've been listening to this track alot lately, it could well be U2's most chilling song, and it was the perfect way to end their shows on the Zoo tour, capturing the confusion and uncertainty the band felt during the early nineties, even though it was written during the Rattle and Hum sessions. It's full of eerie lyrics:

'in a parked car, in a crowded street, you see your love made complete'

'the thread is ripping, the knot is slipping'

'Love is clockwork, cold steel, fingers too numb to feel'

And I think we can all relate to that part in the chorus 'Love is Blindness, I don't want to see' , that sometimes its better not to know,

Plus 'a dangerous idea that almost makes sense' conjures up all sorts of feelings, not forgetting Edges haunting solo of course.

I always preferred the live versions to the studio and wished they still performed it occassionally, I suppose it didn't really fit with the themes of Elevation and Vertigo.If you can get your hands on the Rotterdam 15/6/92 rendition, I'd defintely recommend it, it's a soundboard recording so Bono sounds as if he's singing in your ear.

Fookin love this song. Always have. Live, it was one of the best songs on ZOO tv tour. The guitar solo may well be (IMO) the one that best captures the essence of the song that edge has ever produced.

The video for that song is very haunting, and it gives it a great perspective.

One of the finest songs ever by U2, simply unbelievable, especially the stunning live versions.

Check out the Birmingham, June 1st 1992 version: the best Edge solo ever.

One of the three songs on Achtung Baby I can actually say I love. It has a very haunting, sinister atmosphere, and then Edge strikes with his mournful solo, possibly the most emotionally powerful and eloquent piece of music he has ever created. And live, it only gets better. The snippets of poetry by W. B. Yeats in a few performances in May/June 1992 were especially incredible, as was the snippet of All Along The Watchtower in the Oslo performancei n 1993. That really took the song to another plane entirely.

U2 should bring LIB back.

i sent a copy of Achtung to a non-fan friend of mine in Portugal recently, and this was the track that she really liked surprisingly.

great track though... and even better live. Edge's solo absolutely floors me every time...

the first time I heard this song hairs all over my body stood up.... I got a huge chill! I absolutely love it, and I agree that it's better live... I've a version from Washington 92 that has a great solo!

This should be played live along with other great songs again!

U2 kick some old shit out and turn in the new better songs! Please, Love is Blindness, Stay, Dirty Day, Gone, MOFO

You name it we need it!

The Disciple said:
Does anybody have those versions that Axver referenced, and would b willing 2 share them w/ us?

Create an account with u2start.com and you can download the whole shows ;)

I actually think it would have fitted well with Vertigo's "political section". Ie, the love of something can cause terrible things (terrorism etc).

LAPOE > SBS > BTBS > LIB

Haunting. Thought provoking. Totally captures post-Cold War Berlin the way the YSL perfume called Paris captures Paris.

"All the secrets and no one to tell" that has to be one of the saddest lines ever... And one of my favourite U2 lines:D

This song is one of my favourites of AB... Maybe this one and The Fly are my favourites of that album and are on my top10 of my favourite songs.

djerdap said:
One of the finest songs ever by U2, simply unbelievable, especially the stunning live versions.

Check out the Birmingham, June 1st 1992 version: the best Edge solo ever.

that one is pretty amazing, though the version from Kiel 6/13/92 might be just as good, if not better

but yes, one of Edge's best solos, possibly his best, as it packs so much emotion. What a haunting, beautiful song. The studio version is fantastic, but the live version really takes it to the HNL. They should bring it back. You never know, it could happen... people didn't expect Zoo Station or Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses either. I'd say anything from Achtung is game, except Acrobat and So Cruel.

edit: here's the Kiel link

http://download.loveisblindness.com/1C11AA4C492726D4

[you know what to replace loveisblindness with]

Last edited:
great song...even better live.

its incredible live, especially Edge's solo :drool:

His solo from the Sydney DVD is great.

They played it in Buenos Aires 2006.

Kiel is really very great :)

Last edited:
Didn't know they wrote it during R&H. I always felt that the Cole Porter experience influenced the style and theme of LIB - a few studio things aside, it seems like such a timeless song.

Wish that U2 could mine this kind of territory again.

Axver said:
One of the three songs on Achtung Baby I can actually say I love. It has a very haunting, sinister atmosphere, and then Edge strikes with his mournful solo, possibly the most emotionally powerful and eloquent piece of music he has ever created. And live, it only gets better. The snippets of poetry by W. B. Yeats in a few performances in May/June 1992 were especially incredible, as was the snippet of All Along The Watchtower in the Oslo performancei n 1993. That really took the song to another plane entirely.

U2 should bring LIB back.

:up: :up:

It taps into a place that's so sincere and devastatingly moving. It's been quite a while since U2 went to that kind of well for inspiration.

Love Is Blindness is a fantastic song and the perfect closer for AB. I really loved the song from the very first moment. I always had the scenario of the sinking Titanic in my mind... does anyone know the original Titanic movie, when the band still played on deck while the ship already was going under... the distorted aching guitar...all the metal of the ship breaks apart...and then they waved a last goodbye... (tam tam tamtamtam... the last seconds of LIB)...
I really really love LOVE IS BLINDNESS!

Everything you all said, and more...

Thank you, AtomicBono! :bow:

I also didn't know it was written during R&H... It fits so perfectly with that AB mood.

Kiki said:
it is one of the best of theirs. Does anyone else find they go through "stages" of which types of their songs, you like? I'm in the dark stage again. I'm liking all the darker songs now.
Yeah, I go through stages like that too - although regardless of what stage I'm in, Love Is Blindness always gives me chills, live or album version. It's a perennial favourite, and I think one of U2's career high points, musically and lyrically.

I would have loved to have seen it played live, with that starfield playing over the stadium... Beautiful.

I thing its one of their darkest songs.

The live versions have always been better. The solo from the Sydney DVD is to die for.

So much truth and heartache in the song

My second fave song from AB....UTEOTW holds first place

Back
Top Bottom