Literate forum members: I salute you.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
One can judge a member's posts along several criteria: relevance to the thread, amount of animosity, degree of levity, and general level of literacy.

There are certain members who consistently show a precision in their writing: Words are rarely misspelled; those that are are still easily deciphered. Grammar mistakes are few and minor; verbs agree with their nouns, and sentences begin with capital letters and end with punctuation marks. The thoughts are complete, rational, and in a logical order. Finally, the post itself is split into paragraphs, making it easier to be both scanned and analyzed.

Now, I'm not attacking those whose typical post is one long paragraph, riddled with both fragment sentences and stray punctuation. I am not suggesting that these members are illiterate, or even less literate than their peers (just as a fourth grade is less literate than a novelist even though both can read and write). I am merely suggesting that some members do not demonstrate the same level of literacy on this forum -- and I am not attacking them for it. Some of these users are not writing in their primary language, some cannot type quickly enough, and some are merely exercising their right to express themselves in unconventional spelling and grammar.

But to those who generally take the time and effort to consistently create posts that are both easily read and worth reading, I thank you. In my opinion, you make this forum more civilized and much more enjoyable.

Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 10-27-2001).]

Eh....I love Bono!

*runs away*

------------------
~*Mona*~the Shamrock n rolla!

"We got the soul - we got the honey"-Bush

TURN EACH SONG INTO A PRAYER

What's my grade, professor?

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono

No, sir. There's a very good reason I did not name names or give examples.
smile.gif

I agree. The unserious banter threads are well and good, but I really like to read well thought out dissertations on a variety of subjects (especially U2) now and again.

and but post that dont have punctuatin and like to rattle on for centurires abotu nothin in big long sentenses are always so fun to read and shouldnt be ridiculled for their incoherrance cause this is only a fourm and we gotta be cool wit our talk boys i mean is it that hard to read a big long paragraph that makes youre eyes bleed till they fall out of theyre heads its no big deal relaly i mean have some fun why dontcha?wouldnt you agree i would its like those kids on wire who write an essay about the use of the word intransigence and pretend to be oh so intelligent while forgetting to put in any full stops and or paragrpahs.i think i just contradicted myself maybe i dunno

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
...Some of these users are not writing in their primary language, some cannot type quickly enough, and some are merely exercising their WRITE to express themselves in unconventional spelling and grammar...

Do you mean their right to express themselves, or was this a clever and deliberate pun?

Originally posted by SkeeK:
I agree. The unserious banter threads are well and good, but I really like to read well thought out dissertations on a variety of subjects (especially U2) now and again.

My point is that, in all threads -- serious and otherwise -- there are posts that are far easier to read and understand than others. It takes time, energy, and thoughtfulness to ensure that one's posts are coherent, and I just want to show my appreciation to those who do.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, and -- above all things -- love.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

Do you mean their right to express themselves, or was this a clever and deliberate pun?

It was a faux pas that I will correct immediately.

(Forunately, I'm not praising the impossibly high ideal of perfectly written posts -- just the extra effort some people expend in creating posts that are more easily read and understood.)

It takes time, energy, and thoughtfulness to ensure that one's posts are coherent
true, I guess

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I blame the adults of this forum.....they should set a better example
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Salome, of course it does!

I can speak for no one else, of course, but I put a bit of effort into my posts. For my longer diatribes, I actually spend quite a bit of time reviewing and editing my posts.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 10-27-2001).]

For my longer diatribes, I actually spend quite a bit of time reviewing and editing my posts.
that's the main reason why I don't have 6,000 posts already

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I wanna see Bubba post one sentence.

biggrin.gif

------------------
I'll laugh until my head comes off

Since you asked, I will post one sentence, but the sentence will be a compound complex sentence with "Since you asked" as the subordinate clause, "I will post one sentence" as the first independent clause, and the remainder of the sentence as the second independent clause.

puts on Monty Holy Grail voice

GET ON WITH IT!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 10-27-2001).]

He makes more sense than you diamondbutt.

------------------
Rats and children follow me out of town

Bubba has a strong hold on his subordinate clauses, but he does make the mistake of neglecting to mention that he also used a coordinating conjunction to connect the independent and dependent clause, which in turn, make the clauses stand together as one sentence, and thus failing to confuse the reader more.

you know underneath that exterior of Bubba's lies a party animal just waiting to post some good ole fasion thread crap like the rest of us
tongue.gif
I think its our juty to summon this animal out

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 10-27-2001).]

Ha ha acro!

I'm game.

------------------
Rats and children follow me out of town

I am not suggesting that these members are illiterate, or even less literate than there peers (just as a fourth grade is less literate than a novelist even though both can read and write).

Hey Bubba! Sorry to rain on your parade, but shouldn't that say "their peers"?

smile.gif

Some of these users are not writing in their primary language

Sometimes I wonder how many of you, native english speakers, might be laughing at the stupid mistakes that foreigners like me commit with your language, on a daily basis.
smile.gif

It?s tough to convey my ideas in a language that it?s not my own, many times I can?t find the right word, it?s really frustrating, but I try to do my best. I like to write. I can produce accurate and well structured texts, but only in portuguese. The posts that Bubba referred to as both easily read and worth reading make things easier for me. I?m learning a lot with you all, even some swear words, LOL. And I can learn fast.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

I was just considering the fact that this message board is a multi-national faceted type of message board.
I personally would never make fun of someone else's comments; rather I would look for the context and the comments.

[This message has been edited by beardog (edited 10-27-2001).]

i have neither the time, nor the desire to post coherent, grammatically acurate, well thought out posts. rather, i opt to save my brain power for those things which actually count...like my papers for college. ok mr. anal?!
mad.gif
wink.gif

------------------
Muah>> http://www.geocities.com/tripthruurewires/brookey.html

[This message has been edited by TripThruUreWires (edited 10-27-2001).]

beardog, you?re a nice guy (or girl?)
wink.gif

I forgot to say that any help coming from you, nice people out there, pointing me out my mistakes would be very much appreciated. I?m a diligent student. Yeah, I?m that boring.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Back
Top Bottom