It's true, it's true...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob33

Rock n' Roll Doggie
this has probably been touched on already lightly, but I found an excellent video and I thought I'd start a topic on it :)

it's amazing to me how much stronger Bono sings the "it's true it's true, we can break through......" part of New Year's Day on the Vertigo tour in comparison to ZooTV and other tours...

a good example of this is right here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jq71dHnrSwc

hopefully this will continue! :)

I agree his voice is the strongest it's been since the ZooTV days, but this was a horrible example... this clip isn't thread worthy.

yea i have noticed that as well he has been singing that part better than ever.

check out this preformance of the - its true its true, we can break through, though torn in two - part - I think he sounds the best he ever has - Also its a TV broadcast so its great quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niiDzfkZo84

voice strong, powerful, and rich

that clip was not meant to be watched in its entirety, I should have included the time: from 1:40-2:00

I'm sure there are better examples but that one is sufficient to demonstrate B's vocals...

To be dead honest, it sounds fuller, thicker, and more colorful than zooTV versions...all i'm saying is...this is a good sign as far as the new album is concerned!
:)

Last edited:
Rob33 said:
t
it's amazing to me how much stronger Bono sings the "it's true it's true, we can break through......" part of New Year's Day on the Vertigo tour in comparison to ZooTV and other tours...

"other tours" - more specific, please :wink:

in December we are going to be able to see a really strong performance on DVD -

here in low quality:

New Years Day from Paris 1987 - that was a "strong and powerful :drool: :drool: :drool: " performance...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hirYyjSeIM8

As said a zillion times before: Bono's singing on the last "Vertigo" tour – which could be regarded not only because of the dates' postponement as a very special tour "Under Australasian Skies 2006" on its own, too – was exceptional great. In comparison especially to POPmart, Elevevation and also a lot of (especially European) shows during Vertigo.
So this video is a real fine example: "New Year's Day" might be an old war horse, played by U2 since the world exists – for some people here played to death. But it is also one of their finest songs.
U2 chose this "Greatest Hit" as 2001 to be played quite regularly, also on their last leg. But what might be not that exiting via Internet aka while setlist watching in front of your screens ("Nah, why NYD again, boring, I would like to have heard Father Is An Elephant, bla, bla , bla ...") was live in concert a true gem.
U2 played the tune fast, with power and great instrumental elements (Adam's bass pumping, Larry thundering with the drum kit and Edge really on fire). Bono sung it with power, passion and inspiration, switching from shouting it out to near whisper – truely one of many, many vocal highlights during these few weeks. And lucky for those in the audience to witness this. By the way, even the now often quoted 80ies, had tons of much worse performances. Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Hawaii – a celebration, especially for Bono, who rarely sung better ...

Re: Re: It's true, it's true...

perrypickwick said:

"other tours" - more specific, please :wink:

in December we are going to be able to see a really strong performance on DVD -

here in low quality:

New Years Day from Paris 1987 - that was a "strong and powerful :drool: :drool: :drool: " performance...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hirYyjSeIM8

ironically enough, I prefer that part in the Buenos Aires and Australia videos...it's more smooth and powerful, sooothing :wink:

I think what I'm saying is...Bono's best version of that explosion in New Year's Day is during the vertigo tour, where he combines raw power, smoothness, and color, superior to that Paris performance and zooTV ...but yeah that 1987 performance was great nonetheless...can't wait for it!

Vertigo versions of NYD were best since ZooTV '93,but in 1992 he sang part "Under a blood red sky, a crow has gathered....
the chosen few"
much stroger than on Vertigo tour, since Zooropa tour he sang "the chosen few" in falsetto. I think this song has been declining since then

He sounded realy good on ZooTV on that line, but on the 5th leg on one show he holded the line very long and had power in it also. On ZooTV it was only power.
Popmart Mexico also got a nice one on that line, 1986-06-06 also.

Diemen said:
Wow, we really get excited over 4 words these days, eh?

:wink:

well..it's much more than that....

Under a blood-red sky
A crowd has gathered in black and white
Arms entwined, the chosen few,
The newspapers say, say, say it's true
And we can break through,
Though torn in two, we can be one

Nobody in the world sings those lines with more emotion, spirit, color, and soothing power than Bono....

THAT IS WHY IT IS EXCITING...

Petrr, that link doesn't work for me? You sure it works?

manana69 said:
What do you think of Chorzow 2005 performance? :> Besides the whole flag thing, in my opinion this performance was pretty powerful (how 'bout that "say it's true, it's true")... as well as Bono's voice that night..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyFFyyorNmw

Cheers!

yeah it's all good haha, he pretty much owned it the entire tour...very encouraging!

that crowd was amazing haha

Rob33 said:
Nobody in the world sings those lines with more emotion, spirit, color, and soothing power than Bono....

Well, yeah, nobody sings those lines with more ___ because um, Bono's the only one who sings those lines. :wink:

I get what you're saying, just being a bit of the devil's advocate. :) To be honest, in the clip you posted I thought he sounded fairly subdued, even a little weak until those four words.

These are ALL fantastic. And love JT era though I do, I think I love even more the way B sings it these days. The wisper moving into the soaring "say it's true, it's true". Brilliant.

This thread wouldn't be complete with out the Slane clip (that whole fucking dvd blows my mind). 4:08 makes it all worth it. :giggle: By the way, what's he saying after he wraps himself in the Irish flag? "Close your eyes, and imagine: it's...??" I could never figure that out :scratch:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sudlxUNj30I

Rosebud said:
This thread wouldn't be complete with out the Slane clip (that whole fucking dvd blows my mind).

I love this version too. Although Bono's voice wasn't its greatest that night, he really nails *that* part. :drool:

maro_chik said:

I love this version too. Although Bono's voice wasn't its greatest that night, he really nails *that* part. :drool:

His voice wasn't his greatest there? Wow, his peak must be really super-amazingly awesome then!! :wink:

Oh, I can't remember what song they played before that, but I seem to remember it was something really energetic, etc, and it did obviously take a minute to recover.

:drool: Slane...

Back
Top Bottom