INXS influence U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2opra

War Child
Do you think INXS influenced U2?

I think they did, certainly towards the end of the 80's you can hear a similarity in U2's music direction.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Especially in the way bono sings in the lovetown, some of the soudns that we start to hear in achtung baby. Is this just me? :eyebrow:

I don't know whether they were a musical influence, per se, but I think the band, Hutchence in particular had a big effect on the band. We know how close Hutchence and Bono were, so you can't dismiss it that easily.

I always thought U2 had a bigger influence on INXS. Check out some of the images of Hutch during the last tour of the states in 1997. His wardrobe was definitely influenced by Bono.....

Michael%20Hutchence.jpg

U2opra said:
Especially in the way bono sings in the lovetown, some of the soudns that we start to hear in achtung baby. Is this just me? :eyebrow:

:eyebrow:

I mean, yes in the ways friends influence each other, but if anything INXS was much more influenced by U2 than the other way around.

I once read a review of AB where "U2 never sounded as much as INXS as on Even better than the real thing."

COBL_04 said:
I don't know whether they were a musical influence, per se, but I think the band, Hutchence in particular had a big effect on the band. We know how close Hutchence and Bono were, so you can't dismiss it that easily.

:yes: I agree with this. All kinds of influences filter into U2's work, the band have been inspired by a wide range of different artists and styles over the years, so I suppose it's entirely possible that INXS may well be among them. But I think the effect's always been kept subtle, something I'm pleased about not really being a fan of INXS.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
I mean, yes in the ways friends influence each other, but if anything INXS was much more influenced by U2 than the other way around.
Yeah I woulda said it was more the other way around.

david said:
I think Hutch influenced a lot of how Bono postured and posed in the video for The Fly.

That's what I was going to say - there's a hell of a lot of Hutchence in Zoo-era Bono's stage presence. I think I read something somewhere once that said there was a bit of a mutual jealousy between them. Hutchence wished for Bono's emotional connection from the stage, and Bono wished for Hutchence's sexual connection from the stage.

I don't hear much in the music though. Even Better than the Real Thing - mostly in the vocal I think, but otherwise not so much an apeing of INXS as just a similar style of song to a lot of what they did, which is definitely not an INXS thing, but something INXS did very well. ie overtly about sex, a fairly repetive and simple guitar hook driving it etc. Both would owe a lot of that to Prince. The vocal though, very Hutchence.

Back
Top Bottom