Intro to The Fly (Elevation) => Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
ok, we've all just drooled over the Elevation version of The Fly, with its cool intro where Bono sings, "You walk into the sports, hall, lights go down, it's a whole different scene...." It's funny, i just watched the CD:UK performace of Vertigo and during the last verse when Bono sings "Lights go down, and all I know..." he does that same thing with his hand as he did during The Fly (the sort of falling pricess wave). Maybe the intro to The Fly was the beginning of Vertigo?

I thought that also on first listen.
Maybe "Vertigo" was the song U2 were rehursing before some elevation shows, the U2 Live Book says they were working on something.

when i play 'the fly' from elevation, in particular the end when bono drones 'gotta go, gotta go, gotta go', it reminds me of 'vertigo' and even starts to sound like he's saying vertigo...the pace of the 'gotta go's' changes too, getting distorted and overlapping one another. with that in mind, it very well could have been an inspiration to creating 'vertigo'.

i never thought of the intro relating to vertigo...makes perfect sense.

I don't have the Fly from elevation, but I'm noticing a whole lot of connections between The Fly and Vertigo lately...
because it feels to me like the Fly is down that hole/d, the empty swimming pool, contemplating how we try to climb the sheer face of love (is it love? what is that wall?!), knowing lots of apparent truths cliched profound paradoxical foible-y human truths...
oops gotta run for now...

will be post-whoring later perhaps...

cheerio!

bono_man2002 said:
I thought that also on first listen.
Maybe "Vertigo" was the song U2 were rehursing before some elevation shows, the U2 Live Book says they were working on something.

Its not.

I think Bono liked the phrase or saying and is using it again. I think its that simple.

slightly off topic but in the slane video during mysterious ways, bono also shouts out "teach me how" to his daughter
(chuckling to myself on how pathetic that sounds)

that's because it's synonymously in the lyrics to mysterious ways (learn how to kneel)

The Fly gets the effects of Vertigo and is trying to crawl back on that wall :wink:

Both songs about temptation, IMO 2

The Fly - being tempted by person on the other line of the phone to believe him or *bumbumbum*...it
Vertigo - Being tempted and not knowing wut to do

Blue Room said:
Its not.
I think Bono liked the phrase or saying and is using it again. I think its that simple.

you seem to know a lot ;).
Do you know what song it was they were working on?.....i'd a thought it might have been "We Love You", and then they just eventualy decided to play it.

Back
Top Bottom