I Pity The Fool Who Can't Appreciate Mofo...(aka An In-Depth Analysis Of Mofo)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to read some of Jick's posts..i was not here to see them...could somebody please point me in the right direction?

Re: Re: Re: Re: I Pity The Fool Who Can't Appreciate Mofo...(aka An In-Depth Analysis Of Mofo)

starvinmarvin said:

The concept behind the lyrics is deep, but the execution is problematic.

There's some truth to that. Mofo always reminds me of early U2 because it comes across as somewhat bombastic in its execution. I've always thought the mix overemphasized muscularity. If U2 were starting out in 1997, instead of 1980 that's the sound they would of latched onto. Not the Echo and the Bunnymen imitation stuff they latched onto with Boy. Mofo carries a heavy load, but feels a bit hefty in the process. It's a common U2 problem throughout their career when they try to get heavy in an aggresive way.

On the other hand, even though it's flawed I find Mofo to be quite impressive. They went to the Prodigy school of rock and aced their test. It's not easy for a middle-aged band to find inspiration in music a generation younger and pull off a take on it without sounding like you're attempting to 'keep up'. They really found a unique emotioanal definition using that late '90's electronic stuff. Very creative, if you ask me.

Re: Re: I Pity The Fool Who Can't Appreciate Mofo...(aka An In-Depth Analysis Of Mofo)

starvinmarvin said:

All this adoration for a below average U2 song...love is blindness, indeed.

:|

Then you are one of the ones I pity. You hear noise. I hear so, so much more.

Re: Re: Re: I Pity The Fool Who Can't Appreciate Mofo...(aka An In-Depth Analysis Of Mofo)

namkcuR said:

Then you are one of the ones I pity. You hear noise. I hear so, so much more.

I have no doubt that you do.

COBL_04 said:
Yet another example of people saying how great a song is based on its lyrics. Yes, a song may have terrific lyrics, but if it doesn't sound good, then in my opinion it is not a good song. This is not a shallow way of looking at things but I can't give a song 5/5 if it's lyrics are good.

I won't say anymore, since I haven't heard Mofo, I'm just speaking in general. I went through it when I reviewed So Cruel and One of Achtung Baby.

It's not just the lyrics. I wrote about the music too in my post. The music of Mofo is just headphone candy.

The term 'Headphone Candy' Copyright © 2005 namkcuR :wink:

It's just not a great song. It's OK, and it will grow on you upon repeated listening, and it is better in concert, but compositionally speaking it bites off more than it can chew. I think the lyrics are actually kind of dumb.

And when Bono starts sucking his thumb, I cringe for him.

starvinmarvin said:
It's just not a great song. It's OK, and it will grow on you upon repeated listening, and it is better in concert, but compositionally speaking it bites off more than it can chew. I think the lyrics are actually kind of dumb.

And when Bono starts sucking his thumb, I cringe for him.

Firstly, wrong song for the thumb sucking lyrical reference. That's Staring At The Sun. How about you get your songs right before bashing?

Secondly, you're lucky I'm in Cancun right now and on limited internet time, and as such I don't have time play your games.

If you think the lyrics of Mofo are 'actually kind of dumb', then I can't/won't ever be able to take your opinions on lyrics seriously again. Because you are the only person I've ever heard/read say that about Mofo's lyrics. Honestly.

namkcuR said:

Firstly, wrong song for the thumb sucking lyrical reference. That's Staring At The Sun. How about you get your songs right before bashing?

Secondly, you're lucky I'm in Cancun right now and on limited internet time, and as such I don't have time play your games.

If you think the lyrics of Mofo are 'actually kind of dumb', then I can't/won't ever be able to take your opinions on lyrics seriously again. Because you are the only person I've ever heard/read say that about Mofo's lyrics. Honestly.

Actually I think Bono sucks his thumb live during Mofo, doesn't he? And no reason to cringe... "Now I'm still a child, no one tells me no." Just interpreting lyrics on stage, I like it when singers do that.

But you're right, even most people that hate Pop/Mofo acknowledge it has some damn good lyrics. If you think the lyrics to Mofo are kind of dumb, I can only imagine what you think of Elevation or Vertigo...

namkcuR said:

Firstly, Bono does suck his thumb during the MOFO performance at Mexico City, and it looks dumb.

Secondly, what are you doing on the internet in Cancun? Jeez...live a little, why don't ya...

Thirdly, the lyrics for MOFO aren't great. Maybe not dumb, you're right, but not great. But this thread and your statements are so typical of Pop lovers, who shrilly deride criticism by claining that people who don't love Pop just "don't get it." They are, as you put it, "fools." Well, whatever....I don't love some of it, and I think it's weak in parts

AtomicBono said:

Actually I think Bono sucks his thumb live during Mofo, doesn't he? And no reason to cringe... "Now I'm still a child, no one tells me no." Just interpreting lyrics on stage, I like it when singers do that.

But you're right, even most people that hate Pop/Mofo acknowledge it has some damn good lyrics. If you think the lyrics to Mofo are kind of dumb, I can only imagine what you think of Elevation or Vertigo...

:applaud:

starvinmarvin said:

Firstly, Bono does suck his thumb during the MOFO performance at Mexico City, and it looks dumb.

Secondly, what are you doing on the internet in Cancun? Jeez...live a little, why don't ya...

1.Maybe it's just to emphasize the point of the lyrics - but then, you aren't crazy about the lyrics, so I suppose that doesn't mean anything to you.

2.I've been living all day. I spent all day on the beach. It is now nighttime and I'm on the internet.

Elevation is fucking Shakespeare in comparison with MOFO. I know I may not be in the majority here, but I truly believe it.

namkcuR said:

1.Maybe it's just to emphasize the point of the lyrics - but then, you aren't crazy about the lyrics, so I suppose that doesn't mean anything to you.

2.I've been living all day. I spent all day on the beach. It is now nighttime and I'm on the internet.

Midnight is when the day begins......

starvinmarvin said:
Elevation is fucking Shakespeare in comparison with MOFO. I know I may not be in the majority here, but I truly believe it.

Oh my...I don't even know how to respond to that in a manner that won't get me banned, so I won't.

Just so it's clear we're talking about the same songs here. :wink:

High, higher than the sun
You shoot me from a gun
I need you to elevate me here

At corner of your lips
As the orbit of your hips
Eclipse
You elevate my soul

I've got no self control
Been living like a mole now
Going down, excavation
I and I in the sky
You make me feel like I can fly
So high
Elevation

Vs.

Looking for to save my save my soul
Looking in the places where no flowers grow
Looking for to fill that God shaped hole
Mother...mother sucking rock and roll (Mother...)

Holy dunc, spacejunk coming in for the splash
(Been around the back...been around the front)
White dopes on punk staring into the flash
Looking for the baby Jesus under the trash

Mother... rock and roll (Mother...)

Zootlesque said:
Just so it's clear we're talking about the same songs here. :wink:

High, higher than the sun
You shoot me from a gun
I need you to elevate me here

At corner of your lips
As the orbit of your hips
Eclipse
You elevate my soul

I've got no self control
Been living like a mole now
Going down, excavation
I and I in the sky
You make me feel like I can fly
So high
Elevation

Vs.

Looking for to save my save my soul
Looking in the places where no flowers grow
Looking for to fill that God shaped hole

Holy dunc, spacejunk coming in for the splash
White dopes on punk staring into the flash
Looking for the baby Jesus under the trash

Mother... rock and roll (Mother...)

I think you have only succeeded in proving my point :wink:

MOFO lyrics are just as inane as Elevation's, the only difference being that Elevations'a ARE MEANT to be inane. MOFO tries to be deep, but only superficially scratches the surface of what it purports to express.

Anyways, that's my two cents....we're not going to change each other's mind's on this subjest, so why fight about it? All of us still love U2, only some of us prefer differenty eras over others.

I still like Pop, but it doesn't grab me like other albums do.

starvinmarvin said:

MOFO tries to be deep, but only superficially scratches the surface of what it purports to express.

How do you know that? You think it's silly because of the goofy antics Bono does on stage. Maybe you don't understand the meaning of these lyrics...

Mother...am I still your son
You know I've waited for so long to hear you say so
Mother...you left and made me someone
Now I'm still a child, no one tells me no

Looking for a sound that's going to drown out the world
Looking for the father of my two little girls
Got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
Still looking for the face I had before the world was made

starvinmarvin said:

Okay, first off let me say that I LIKE the lyrics to Elevation. Unlike most people here I think it's a well-written song...definitely NOT Bono's BEST lyrics but they aren't bad, really. But come on...

"A mole, diggin in a hole, diggin up my soul now, goin' down, excavation" is miles ahead of "Mother, am I still your son? You know I've waited for so long to hear you say so...mother, you left and made me someone. Now I'm still a child...no one tells me no" ?? To each his own I suppose but as far as I'm concerned the lyrics aren't even in the same league, though the songs aren't really comparable. One is a fun rock song, the other is far, far deeper... if you want to know the darkest thoughts of our dear Bono's brain, pay attention to the lyrics of POP.

And besides, "mother-suckin' rock 'n roll" is WAY more badass than "WOOOHOOOO" :wink:

AtomicBono said:

Okay, first off let me say that I LIKE the lyrics to Elevation. Unlike most people here I think it's a well-written song...definitely NOT Bono's BEST lyrics but they aren't bad, really. But come on...

Actually, that was what I was trying to get at...that comparisons to Elevation/Vertigo aren't really valid, because they're totally different styles of music.

I actually do like MOFO...I know I've dissed it...but I still truly beleive it's not actually "great," and that much of Pop is emberassingly overrated by many Interferencers. That being said, I watched Mexico last night, and I have to say that Velvet Dress is one motherfuckin' kick ass tune (although the studio version is pathetic).

I might add that I was stoned when I watched Velvet Dress, but it really was mesmerizing. Fantastic!

Zootlesque said:

To each his own I guess.. cos the studio version of Velvet Dress is a combination of :drool: , :heart: , :love: , :combust: and :faint:

:wink:

Really? You like the studio version? I thought even most pop lovers hated the studio version....regardless, it is great on the Mexico show.

Back
Top Bottom