I just finished watching SLANE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I was quite impressed. It's a very good show. If I needed but one word to sum up the show though -

ONE

The rendition of One has to be the best rendition of a song I've ever heard. Most of you will know that I haven't been as big a fan of One as others, but this version is now my third favourite song. Axver will be disappointed in me :wink: but this version is NOT just another tune.

Other highlights were Out of Control, Beautiful Day, Angel of Harlem, Walk On, Staring at the Sun, etc.

I was a bit disappointed though with UTEOTW. Where's the guitar that kicks in when Bono sings "In the garden I was playing the tart" or "Waves of regret, waves of joy"? But the guitar that kicks in after the last line of all the verses was awesome.

Slane made me think...

U2 COME TO AUSTRALIA!

:up:

IMO the best part is UTEOTW - NYD - OOC - SBS. :drool: :rockon:

All I want is you - streets is also beautiful. and of course angel of harlem, a great song. I really love it, it's so beautiful and uplifting...

Angel of Harlem I didn't really like on the best of, but it was a lot better live. Very energetic. All I Want is you is great, I loved when he goes "all i want is fucking you man" when he gets water on him. Streets, I didn't think there was a lot of emotion behind it, likewise Kite.

COBL_04 said:
Streets, I didn't think there was a lot of emotion behind it, likewise Kite.

About Kite, are you kidding me?! The man had lost his father the previous week - there was plenty of emotion behind that!

I actually somewhat agree on the count of One. Certain live performances are truly incredible, and I adore the additional "do you hear us coming, Lord?" verse. The best live performance I think was 1997-09-23 in Sarajevo, and the Live 8 one gave me chills. On special occasions, very little can beat One live.

Slane equals best day of my life :drool:

COBL_04 said:
I didn't think there was a lot of emotion behind Kite.

:ohmy:

:mad:

are you watching the same slane? did you get to the part where Bono sings "I know that this is not goodbye..." that IS SOOOOO emotional, i think people will agree

MrBrau1 said:
Isn't he actually crying during Kite?

If he isn't for most of the song, I'm sure he's definitely crying at "I know that this is not goodbye".

I didn't mean it like that. I used the wrong word. The I'm a maaaan I'm not a child didn't get me as excited as it does on the album version was all that I meant. I watched it again only half an hour ago and it was only that part. The rest of it has the most emotion of just about any song on the DVD.

I know that this is not goodbye almost brings tears to my eyes too. I listened to Kite when my grandfather died.

I feel guilty for what I said sorta. I didn't know his father had passed away that long ago. I thought it was just before HTDAAB was released.

Bob Hewson died on 2001-08-21. I don't know how, but Bono managed to go on stage that night. Gone's absolutely chilling, he yells out "Bob Hewson!" at the start. Gets me every time.

COBL_04 said:
Thanks Axver! :wave: What night was that Slane concert actually on?

The Slane DVD is from Slane II, 2001-09-01. Slane I was on 2001-08-25.

Slane! :hyper:

I agree that One is amazing, also agree with what you said on Angel of Harlem. Not one of my fav album tracks, but it's a highlight on the DVD. I love how Bono goes from the emotional Kite (and yes it is emotional! :mad:....:wink: ) to a fun, joyous performance, like it's nothing. Amazing. :yes:

btw...I'm a New Yorker! :dance: :hyper: :cool:

Good god, the Slane performance. I remember the first time I watched the video.

All I Want is You -> Streets

o/' All I want is......yooooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu o/'

Sends chills down my spine every single time I hear him scream it. I mean Bono's voice is incredible and shows he still has "it". And the crowd is just absolutely loving the entire performance. You can tell that Bono was just feeding off the crowd's energy in some of the songs and enjoying himself because of it.

I can't remember where, I think it was on this board, (correct me if I'm wrong) but people said that the Slane performance was a show in which U2 was, well, really laid back and relaxed but also just trying to enjoy themselves. Sort of like the Vertigo tour I guess, haha.

Great show. :heart:

COBL_04 said:
I was quite impressed. It's a very good show. If I needed but one word to sum up the show though -

ONE

The rendition of One has to be the best rendition of a song I've ever heard. Most of you will know that I haven't been as big a fan of One as others, but this version is now my third favourite song. Axver will be disappointed in me :wink: but this version is NOT just another tune.

Other highlights were Out of Control, Beautiful Day, Angel of Harlem, Walk On, Staring at the Sun, etc.

I was a bit disappointed though with UTEOTW. Where's the guitar that kicks in when Bono sings "In the garden I was playing the tart" or "Waves of regret, waves of joy"? But the guitar that kicks in after the last line of all the verses was awesome.

Slane made me think...

U2 COME TO AUSTRALIA!

You get to watch the Unforgettable Fire documentary yet?

(Unless it's not on all copies of Slane DVD)

I have Slane and Boston, I like Slane's setlist more, but Boston is good too.

"New York" sounded so much better live, compared to the album.

Re: Re: I just finished watching SLANE

thrillme said:

You get to watch the Unforgettable Fire documentary yet?

(Unless it's not on all copies of Slane DVD)

I have Slane and Boston, I like Slane's setlist more, but Boston is good too.

"New York" sounded so much better live, compared to the album.

Nah, haven't been able to watch the UF doco yet. Does any vocals from Bad happen to be on it?

New York would be good live. :nod:

liamcool said:
New York is incredible live.

Great on the album, incredible live. My 3rd fav song of ATYCLB, I really like it. Maybe I have some connection with New York (the city) because I also love Angel of Harlem.

btw, COBL_04, by now which are your 3 favourite U2 songs?

liamcool said:
No vocals from Bad are on the UF documentary. It should be called the Pride documentary. A completely unreleased track has a snippet on there though.

Well, that other track was released, as it is The Three Sunrises (a B-side and also included on the Wide Awake In America EP and the bonus disc of The Best Of 1980-1990).
:)

Out of Control :drool:

All I Want Is You- That ending!!! The sheer power of Bono's voice!!!

But all of it was good. 'Cept maybe Bullet The Blue Sky, I just never took to this song...

the performance of Bullet on slane is awesome! possibly my fav version of that song (yes more than the Zoo ones :ohmy: ). when bono shines the flashlight on edge durin the solo, and then on the crowd who are all clapping as one.......:drool:

The Slane DVD is amazing! I DO think it is one of Bono's most emotional performances ever. It would have to be in light of the events of the day.

I think the Slane version of Kite is tremendous. Bono's story at the beginning about he and Edge's fathers was a great way to remember his father in a positive, humorous light. I felt the same way immediately after my father died from cancer 6 years ago. I cried, but then afterwards, I just wanted to soak in fond memories of him. Bono does exactly the same thing here. He sings at the top of his lungs and just seems to be relishing in having an outlet to share his feelings and love for his departed father. I love his performance!

Someone else mentioned All I Want is You, as well. It is emotional, too, as Bono clearly wants to send a message to Ali about how much he loves her. She was no doubt a big support for him through his dad's illness and passing, as any good spouse or partner would be. Listen to his vocals in transition from AIWIY to Streets. Wow! It's incredible how much emotion he pours out!

MCF74 said:
Listen to his vocals in transition from AIWIY to Streets. Wow! It's incredible how much emotion he pours out!

:yes: If you wanted to persuade someone that U2 are a fantastic band live, then show them that!

Does anyone else think Slane had an absolutely rubbish setlist?

had nothing from Zooropa
not enough from achtung baby
and some of the worst/ overated songs from 'all that you can't leave behind'- stuck in a moment, beautiful day, kite :reject: (even with Bono's emotion that night. I'm still not a fan of kite.)

Some of the performances were brilliant, and the atmosphere was just incredible :rockon: A better set list would have just capped the whole think off I reckon!

Back
Top Bottom