I feel that U2 has peaked musically...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You want to know what I think?:no:

If you dont think the new LP is one of the best we have ever done....I'll be very surprised!!

If you dont like it....I will put a curse on you and all of your children will be born completely naked!:yes:

Wow, I am so cynical I don't believe that's Edge.

But if it is. 99% of the people on this forum and the new album forum love the new tune.

Leak some more shit for us, will ya? Pretty please??
One song..... just one, I won't tell anyone. :drool:

Angela, a very large arse kicking thing you say?

safety-boot-big.jpg

:wink:

Last edited:
The Edge said:

If you dont think the new LP is one of the best we have ever done....I'll be very surprised!!

If you dont like it....I will put a curse on you and all of your children will be born completely naked!:yes:

Well, how does the album compare to say...the female orgazmatron?? ;)

AussieU2fanman said:
Don't worry Edge, the feedback from this song has been unbelievably one-sided its not funny. Has a U2 song EVER had this much positive feedback?

One can only hope 11 O'clock Tick Tock did back in 1980! Haha.

This was a dumb thread to start with anyway. Someone hears U2's new song once and then comes up with lame arguments that they have peaked musically. This individual wasn't going to be happy with ANY new material U2 put out. For the record, I LOVE the new song and I LOVE that U2 still takes risks.

The Edge said:

:reject:
*is now afraid that if he ever gets children and they're born naked, that he's cursed. Even when he likes the album*

Does anyone else here find this whole thing a little surreal? Here are people bantering back and forth about whether or not U2 has 'peaked musically' and is 'selling out for the money'...and the Edge is actually reading all of this garbage right this moment. It's embarassing. I didn't even post in this thread until now and I feel embarassed for everyone at Interference. Not everyone in the world loves U2 or everything U2 makes, and the band doesn't expect them to. But some of the comments in this thread have been juvenile and insulting. No person, however famous or well known, should have to read this kind of stuff being written about him.

Ignore these people, Mr. Edge. We're sending large, strong men to their houses right now. And if by chance any of their babies are born clothed, you can bet I will be there to remedy that. :)

-Mike

No Control, your points are invalid.

U2 picks up influences from other bands to incorporate with their sound. They listened to American music and that showed on JT and Rattle and Hum, they listened to Manchester scene and that influenced AB, they listened to dance and that influenced POP, they listened to pop and that influenced ATYCLB. (they were listening to garage rock phenomenon and that may show on "Dismantle")

If U2 would be about the money, all they'd do would be repeating the sound of either JT and AB.

As for ticket prices, blame the game, not the player. Popular acts do have high ticket prices, like it or not. (BTW, U2 made VERY little money with Zoo TV)

Last edited:
Was going to include this in my other reply ... don't know quite what happened there, I got a bit distracted. So here we go, the rest of what I wanted to say.

The Edge said:

Edge - intelligent AND funny! We really are fans of the coolest guitarist.

I realise I'm contributing nothing to this thread. Oh well, ignore me and keep posting. With regards to the thread title (I can't be bothered reading the whole thread), I think we're in for a treat from this new album because U2 consists of four very creative guys who continue to realise new things they can do with the music they are making. Maybe it's not 'out there' like Zooropa, but something doesn't have to be like that to be creative or clever. I very much doubt the talent flowing through the veins of U2 will run dry soon, or ever.

Last edited:
Originally posted by ultraviolet_j This individual wasn't going to be happy with ANY new material U2 put out.

And with that statement, it shows you know nothing about what I've been talking, since my very first post on this thread. All I've ever done is repeat myself over and over again some more. I've shown why others are wrong about their disagreements with me and have been crystal clear regarding why.

If that really is The Edge, then you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. And you can make jokes all you want. I like jokes. But what I don't like is you taking your audience for granted and pumping out mediocre, formuliac work for the past five years in order to strictly make money. You see, you used to be about music primarily and not strictly business, now things have changed and it's extremely obvious. But nonethless, I think you're the most innovative guitarist from 1979-1999 and it's a shame that you've conformed to what just about everyone else in the music industry has given in to...GREED.

Oh and btw, even though the Zoo TV tour netted the band only 2 or 3 million dollars in tickets sales, they made $30 million in merchandising sales. Thank god for the might t-shirts!

You can all now go back to the "U2 is the greatest band ever and could never do anything wrong but we haven't heard the word denial Club" and continue worshipping cash-cow sellouts.

NoControl said:

And with that statement, it shows you know nothing about what I've been talking, since my very first post on this thread. All I've ever done is repeat myself over and over again some more. I've shown why others are wrong about their disagreements with me and have been crystal clear regarding why.

If that really is The Edge, then you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. And you can make jokes all you want. I like jokes. But what I don't like is you taking your audience for granted and pumping out mediocre, formuliac work for the past five years in order to strictly make money. You see, you used to be about music primarily and not strictly business, now things have changed and it's extremely obvious. But nonethless, I think you're the most innovative guitarist from 1979-1999 and it's a shame that you've conformed to what just about everyone else in the music industry has given in to...GREED.

Oh and btw, even though the Zoo TV tour netted the band only 2 or 3 million dollars in tickets sales, they made $30 million in merchandising sales. Thank god for the might t-shirts!

You can all now go back to the "U2 is the greatest band ever and could never do anything wrong but we haven't heard the word denial Club" and continue worshipping cash-cow sellouts.

It has always been about money. If it wasn't, U2 would be a bunch of nobodies by not caring about what we think and purely doing their own thing. And as long as they are not doing rap or RnB, who gives a fuck? It's brilliant rock music nontheless. That's all it boils down to. Vertigo is an unbelievable song and that's all that matters. If it's successful, well that's even better. Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it is crap.

NoControl, get a grip. It's one thing to think U2 already peaked musically. It's quite another to suddenly get the notion that everything U2 does is motivated by greed, despite evidence to the contrary (re: U2 vs. Madonna ticket prices and prices of Elevation vs. ZooTV). If you think U2 is charging too much, then guess what, every major rock band charges too much and it looks like you're just never going to see a concert again. If U2 is so greedy, then why does Bono spend most of his time vigorously campaigning for those who have nothing? Your argument is extremely weak.

I may have preferred when U2 were more openly experimental, but I have to admit that I like Vertigo and the direction it might indicate more and more with each listen.

Lighten up a little.

Originally posted by Diemen NoControl, get a grip. It's one thing to think U2 already peaked musically. It's quite another to suddenly get the notion that everything U2 does is motivated by greed, despite evidence to the contrary (re: U2 vs. Madonna ticket prices and prices of Elevation vs. ZooTV).

Evidence to the contrary? What are you talking about? The majority of their tickets are at least $85 and $130. And just because a few other artists are charging more doesn't mean they're not being greedy. It's still too high for most people or fans regardless. Ticket prices never used to be like this even a couple of years ago.

Originally posted by Diemen If you think U2 is charging too much, then guess what, every major rock band charges too much and it looks like you're just never going to see a concert again.

Not true.

Originally posted by Diemen If U2 is so greedy, then why does Bono spend most of his time vigorously campaigning for those who have nothing? Your argument is extremely weak.

Good point. But my argument isn't extremely weak. You see, Bono helping out people who have nothing is great! Nothing wrong with that. But...it doesn't detract from the fact the reasons I've discussed regarding money. And it's quite a contradiction that he's going ahead with that yet charging an exorbant amount to see a concert, let alone $60 dollar t-shirts, don't you think? Hypocritical, dare I say? I mean the world's been starving for centuries and U2 haven't ever overpriced their products or whatever you want to call them before the past few years.

Btw, you'll see an increase in ticket prices of at least 15% on their next tour. Their prices will be at least $50/$100/$150. So start saving!

Originally posted by Diemen Lighten up a little.

I'm lightened up. It's just that certain things piss me off and expressing them is a good release.

Last edited:
NoControl said:

Evidence to the contrary? What are you talking about? The majority of their tickets are at least $85 and $130. And just because a few other artists are charging more doesn't mean they're not being greedy. It's still too high for most people or fans regardless. Ticket prices never used to be like this even a couple of years ago.

Actually this isn't entirely true. It was pretty close to a 50/50 split between $45 tickets and the higher priced tickets - and the BEST tickets were the cheapest. I paid $45/ticket and got to stand 10 feet from the band for an entire concert on two occasions. That's a pretty damn good deal! :D

I mentioned other artists charging more because you mentioned them first in the same breath as U2 - even (unfairly) equating U2 with them. And it seems pretty obvious that the prices aren't too high for most people or fans regardless, because attendance was extremely high. Besides, base ticket price for the Elevation Tour was only $10 more than base ticket price for ZooTV, with nearly a decade between them.

The Edge said:

:lmao:

NoControl said:

But what I don't like is you taking your audience for granted and pumping out mediocre, formuliac work for the past five years in order to strictly make money. Oh and btw, even though the Zoo TV tour netted the band only 2 or 3 million dollars in tickets sales, they made $30 million in merchandising sales. Thank god for the might t-shirts!

New Years Day, Pride, I still haven't found..., Mysterious ways, Stay, Staring at the sun have the same verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo/bridge-end formula, so don't act like it started with ATYCLB (which had more strong songs than previous two albums combined). U2 changing their sound constantly shows exactly opposite: they don't take anyone for granted.

Saying how much a band made on a tour isn't really much unless you know how much the expenses were. (U2 took their two biggest money spending tours around the world, not regarding how much it'd cost and visiting places they haven't before. doesn't sound like something a money-obsessed band would do.) No one forces you to buy a ticket, much less any of the mechandise. Also consider inflation has a share in lifting the prices.

No one here has that attitude, but I do find it funny that one of their most succesful albums/tours gets critisized.
(If I'm not mistaken, Madonna and Britney both charged more for tickets and U2, and frankly, they don't even come close to them, musically)

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

*is now afraid that if he ever gets children and they're born naked, that he's cursed. Even when he likes the album*

yeah but if your kids are gonna be cursed, isnt it cool that they're cursed by The Edge and not some weird old cat lady who talks to herself and hides behind the curtains in a rundown delapedated house at the bottom of the road that no one walks but always runs past?

Diemen said:
Actually this isn't entirely true. It was pretty close to a 50/50 split between $45 tickets and the higher priced tickets - and the BEST tickets were the cheapest. I paid $45/ticket and got to stand 10 feet from the band for an entire concert on two occasions. That's a pretty damn good deal! :D

But you if will, an example...

18,000 seat arena (the majority of what they were playing to in 2001):

8,000 tickets are $45 (balcony and floor)
10,000 tickets are $85-$130 (main level or plaza)

Not a good deal if you ask me, unless you're on the floor or the balcony.

Originally posted by Diemen I mentioned other artists charging more because you mentioned them first in the same breath as U2 - even (unfairly) equating U2 with them. And it seems pretty obvious that the prices aren't too high for most people or fans regardless, because attendance was extremely high.

The Elevation tour was their lowest attended major tour since The Joshua Tree tour in 1987...

The Joshua Tree tour: 3 million tickets sold (add at the most 500,000 tickets because they didn't hit South America)
Zoo TV tour: 5.4 million (add at the most 500,000 tickets because they didn't hit South America)
PopMart tour: 3.9 milllion tickets sold
Elevation tour: 2.3 million tickets sold (add to this at the most 1 million tickets because they didn't hit South America, Australia, etc.)

Originally posted by Diemen Besides, base ticket price for the Elevation Tour was only $10 more than base ticket price for ZooTV, with nearly a decade between them. [/B]

Not true. Zoo TV's top price was $30. Now that's a good deal! Gee, I wonder why that was their highest attended tour?

And the only reason why U2 aren't selling their ticket prices at $300 a pop like for example Madonna is, is that they can't get away with it without having 20,000 seats arena being half full.

Last edited:
NoControl said:

The Elevation tour was their lowest attended major tour since The Joshua Tree tour in 1987...

The Joshua Tree tour: 3 million tickets sold (add at the most 500,000 tickets because they didn't hit South America)
Zoo TV tour: 5.4 million (add at the most 500,000 tickets because they didn't hit South America)
PopMart tour: 3.9 milllion tickets sold
Elevation tour: 2.3 million tickets sold (add to this at the most 1 million tickets because they didn't hit South America, Australia, etc.)

And the only reason why U2 aren't selling their ticket prices at $300 a pop like for example Madonna is, is that they can't get away with it without having 20,000 seats arena being half full.

You can't really compare a tour attendance of Elevation and previous two tours because those were longer and had bigger venues and went to other countries (surely all signs of greed right?) and not even Joshua Tree because their tours got more elaborate since.

But if we're talking past tours, if I recall right, Popmart had attendance problems, something which no other tour had.
(since all shows were sold out - apart from 6 - you can't really say Elevation tickets were too expensive - they sold every seat that was on sale, 45 dollars or more. if people want to pay 130 dollars, that is not U2's problem) U2 had such a high demand on the last tour that even the biggest concerts at Slane sold out in minutes.

EXACTLY. What's the point of charging redicioulus prices if you play to half empty venues?

Nice selective replying, BTW.

Last edited:
NoControl said:

Earlier today, I heard for the first time their new single, Vertigo. It's not a bad song, I think it resembles I Will Follow meeting Beautiful Day. And you know, I was really hoping that U2 would return to putting their balls on the line and to start making innovative music yet once again. But after listening to Vertigo several times, I've come to the conclusion that they are yet once again way too concerned with popularity, money, accolades and acclaim to make music that is refreshing and progressive, hence pushing the envelope like they want to be doing and IMO what they should be doing.

I might pick up How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb when it's released in two months, I may not. And I might go check them out when they play here in the Spring if it's affordable. But my friends, in terms of sheer innovation and uniqueness, U2 have reached their peak musically.

It's sad I know but that's how I feel.

And BONG went the idiot gong. Vertigo is a great song. Just wonderful. What exactly could U2 do to be more inovative? Play the accordian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom