I can no longer listen to U2, too painful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arturod

The Fly
Has anyone had this problem following a breakup? I just broke up with my girlfriend of four years, the long distance thing did not work out (I'm in TX, she's in NJ). Listening to U2 reminds me too much of her. Our songs, the great times we spent together, the concerts we attended together. Has anyone run into similar problems. Maybe if I listen to some of U2's great breakup songs (mostly from AB), that will help. What other U2 songs can help ease the pain?

Life sucks, I 'm so pissed off and disappointed.

I'd also like to say that I'm sorry your relationship didn't work out. I'm in a long distance relationship as well, and it can be very rought at times. There are many U2 songs it would break my heart to listen to if John and I ever parted ways.

Take care.

I know what you're talking about though I it isn't a g/f - or in my case a b/f - I broke up with. She was a very close friend - let's say I thought she was my BEST friend for too long - and I introduced her to U2. Now that this internet-friendship doesn't work anymore, I really have to concentrate on forgetting that I actually relate certain songs with her. Like with UV right now - I can listen to it, but at first I get very sad that she isn't there anymore, then I get angry and want to break something and then I think back that it is a U2 song and I listen just the the music and not the thoughts anymore.....
I'd suggest Wake Up Dead Man - it helped me. :|

I`m also sorry that your relationship didn`t work out.

Songs that could help you:

- Walk On
- Stuck ("It`s just a moment, this time will pass")
- Beautiful Day ("What you don`t have, you don`t need it now")

Walk on!:yes:

Last edited:
I totally hear you and can empathize. My ex and I were both huge fans and U2 was one of the things we shared. When he dumped me and broke my heart, it was so hard to listen to U2 because it reminded me of him. I found though that there were a few albums that I hadn't yet really gotten into and were thus not associated with him. Unforgettable Fire was one. So, I listened to it like crazy and made new memories of recovery and regaining strength. And when I was ready, I took back my band in full-force. No way I'm going to let some bastard ruin my favorite band for me.

Just hang on. It will get better. *hugs*

pinkfloyd said:
just put ' Joshua tree ' in your cd-player and press play ...

Can't do Joshua Tree, I gave it to her last Valentine's Day ):

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. It helps to know that others have been through similar trying times. Things are still mendable between us, we've just come to the realization that we are not ready for each other at this point in our lives. We are not ready for what we ultimately want.

Last edited:
I haven't listened to my other favorite artist, Tori Amos, in 9 months since my best friend died. She was ours. But in my experience, time is a miracle worker.

Don't let anyone tell you Madness is ugly. Madness is a beautiful thing. I say you chop her damn head off to the sounds of "Hold me Thrill me Kiss me Kill me"...

- The Zoocifer -

FallingStar said:
I know what you're talking about though I it isn't a g/f - or in my case a b/f - I broke up with. She was a very close friend - let's say I thought she was my BEST friend for too long - and I introduced her to U2. Now that this internet-friendship doesn't work anymore, I really have to concentrate on forgetting that I actually relate certain songs with her. Like with UV right now - I can listen to it, but at first I get very sad that she isn't there anymore, then I get angry and want to break something and then I think back that it is a U2 song and I listen just the the music and not the thoughts anymore.....

That's odd.

That same exact thing happened to me... I had an online friend, recommended U2, and we both fell in love with the same songs. I still remember watching U2 on the Grammys, chatting with her online. Our friendship ended abruptly- whenever I listen to U2, certain songs I can't help but remember how it was... and how I was so ignorant back then.

Achtung Baby and Pop are the albums that brought me back to U2. If you're recovering from a breakup, I think Achtung Baby would be the best choice... after all, it's all about love not working out.

This has never happened with me and U2 but I did have painful associations with a b/f who turned out to be an egomaniacal a**. That was a horrible relationship for me. It took awhile but the pain did ease--although two years ago I turned down an invitation to renew the relationship because I admit that I was afraid that it could happen again. There was too much of that damned ego in that phone conversation. It was scary.

joyfulgirl said:
I haven't listened to my other favorite artist, Tori Amos, in 9 months since my best friend died. She was ours. But in my experience, time is a miracle worker.

I know a little about death. I also love tori.
put on "twinkle".
let it all go....

it will be ok.

Citric said:
That's odd.

That same exact thing happened to me... I had an online friend, recommended U2, and we both fell in love with the same songs. I still remember watching U2 on the Grammys, chatting with her online. Our friendship ended abruptly- whenever I listen to U2, certain songs I can't help but remember how it was... and how I was so ignorant back then.
:( :( Thats life.....sometimes it is crueler to some than to others - relating the favourite band with a painful thing. :( :(
But we'll got through that state of sadness, didn't we Citric? :)

JOFO said:

I know a little about death. I also love tori.
put on "twinkle".
let it all go....

it will be ok.

Thank you. I will return to Tori, no question about it. Looking forward to the new record that will be free of associations with my friend, except that maybe he'd like to hear it, too (or maybe they get previews on the other side? :))

My uncle also had something like that with certain songs. If you can't stand U2 for now listen to something else for a while. Just be sure though not to throw your U2 CD's in the thrash. For the time will come that you'll regret that.

Back
Top Bottom