HTDAAB - as described by the band!!! (Q magazine)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philod

The Fly
This week's Q magazine has a track-by-track description of HTDAAB by the band themselves!!!

It also has a massive 5-page article, but I can't type it all and I don't have a scanner - sorry......maybe someone can help us out.

Someone, scan this thing! At least post highlights!

Lol, if you weren't going to post anything about the article, why did you make a thread? Anyway, thanks alot for typing the NME article last time, can you please at least post some key points? :D

'Vertigo'
U2 as garage band. Over power chords, Bono sings about boys who play rock and roll.
Adam Clayton: "It was originally called Native Son and had a very different feel. Bono and Edge rewrote it when we started work with Steve Lillywhite. The bass and drums have a little bit of Echo & the Bunnymen in there - a nice wink to where we came from."

'Miracle Drug'
The sort of wide-eyed anthem that should by now carry a U2 patent.
Bono: "It started off being about the Irish writer Christopher Nolan, who was at our school (Nolan, who was born with cerebral palsy, won the 1988 Whitbread Prize for his autobiographical novel 'Under The Eyes of the Clock'). But in a more oblique way it's probably as much about Aids and the drugs developed to arrest it. I couldn't write specifically about that without feeling an idiot."

'Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own'
Bono on his father's death. As stately and emotive as One.
Bono: "There's a line, 'You're the reason I have the operas in me.' My old man was a beautiful tenor. He was this working-class guy who loved opera. He used to sit conducting the stereo with knitting needles."

Love and Peace or Else
As close as U2 have come to being Led Zeppelin
The Edge: "I'm delighted about this one. It's been around since the last record. All we had was an amazing keyboard part of Brian (Eno)'s and a rhythm section Larry and Daniel (Lanois) had worked up. I fought for hours trying to figure out what to do with this fantastic raw track. We cracked it this time."

City of Blinding Lights
Back to the wide-open terrain of The Unforgettable Fire, via a vintage Edge motif.
Bono: "It's a New York song. About going there for the first time. We were the first band to play Madison Square Gardens after 9/11. During Where the Streets Have No Name the house lights came up and there were 20,000 people in tears. It was beautiful."

All Because of You
Three minutes of gleeful stomping and a likely single. Sample lyric: "I like the sound of my own voice."
Adam Clayton: "Often when we have something which is straight rock it never goes anywhere - we just keep churning it around. But this was one or two takes."

A Man and a Woman
Motown by way of The Rolling Stones' 'Waiting on a Friend'
Bono: "The sound of sitting on a stoop in New York in the summer. I wanted a song that rolled up The Clash and Marvin Gaye into one."

Crumbs from Your Table
The Edge breaks out I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For's ringing guitar. Bono rails at the Aids crisis.
Bono: "I went to speak to Christian fundamentalist groups in America to convince them to give money to fight Aids in Africa. It was like getting blood from a stone. I told them about a hospice In Uganda where so many people were dying they had to sleep three to a bed. Sister Anne, who I mention in the song, works at that hospice. Her office is a sewer."

One Step Closer
Bono ponders the meaning of death over a hushed backdrop
Bono: "Noel Gallacher gave me that line. We were in Birmingham on the last UK tour. I was telling Noel that my old man had lost his faith and didn't know where he was going. And Noel just said (adopts passable Mancunian drawl), Well, he's one step closer to knowing, isn't he?"

Original of the Species
A strident torch song. Contains the lines, "Some things you shouldn't get too good at/Like smiling, crying and celebrity."
The Edge: "The last time I cried was listening to that song. It was a song Bono started on the last record about my daughter Holly. He's her godfather. The lyric became more universal. About being young and full of doubt about yourself. He probably won't agree, but I think it has connotations for Bono, looking back to when he was 20."

Yahweh
Quintessentially U2 - from soaring chorus to a title that co-opts the Hebrew word for God.
Bono: "I had the idea that no one can own Jerusalem, but everybody wants to put flags on it. The title's an ancient name that's not meant to be spoken. I got around it by singing it. I hope I don't offend anyone."

Fast Cars
Bizarrely, U2 come on like the house band in a Morrocan bazaar.
Bono: "We did this on the very last day in the studio. It was really just for fun, but it came out so well it'll be an extra track on the record in some countries."

There we go people.

Forever a servant of the Blue Crack.....

Thanks very much. What does the rest of the article talk about? These reports seem to discuss more on the origin and story of the songs, rather than the songs themselves, which is what I really want to know about. Cheers anyway philod. Anything else to say?

Wow...this seems to go as deep as I thought it would. It's does seem to be focused on doubt about love beyond yourself and what your place in the scheme of things truly is in light of being a child of God. I'm estatic over here, this is so going to be a U2 masterpiece. :sad: Those are my boys! :sad:

Last edited:
A few article highlights:

Las Christmas the band scrapped a year's work and replace original producer Chris Thomas with Steve Lillywhite.

Most U2-sounding album since The Joshua Tree.

All Because of You has a guitar solo.

Bono says he is the Atomic Bomb of the title!! Bono: "A bomb went off when my old man died and I had no idea how to deal with it."

Excellent stuff. Thanks a million Philod. Heres to see the next 5 pages:wink:

philod said:
[B
Bono says he is the Atomic Bomb of the title!! Bono: "A bomb went off when my old man died and I had no idea how to deal with it." [/B]

:hug: Bono :hug:
I wonder what exactly he means. I wonder if it meant he had a crisis in what to believe life really meant and what the significance was....like a crisis of faith?

starsgoblue said:

:hug: Bono :hug:
I wonder what exactly he means. I wonder if it meant he had a crisis in what to believe life really meant and what the significance was....like a crisis of faith?

Yeah - plus three weeks after his father's death it was 9/11.

This album won't blow our minds. It won't blow them to the moon and back. It wil blow them a LOT further.

That review makes me desperate to hear it immediately. I appear to be typing so calmly because I'm simply out of words. People, this album is going to be huge.

For Starsgoblue:

"If I'm honest, I've been running away from it for the past two years. I've always enjoyed drinking and going out, but I found I was drinking far more. I went to Bali for a drink. Got on a plane, went for two days, came back."
Why Bali?
"I don't know. Because I could. I was sitting in a beach bar when I got there thinking, What am I doing here? I took on more and more projects. But eventually you have to turn and face yourself. That's come to an end now with finishing this work. Literally in the last week I've felt a sense of putting things to rest."

Help any? :wink:

Poor Bono:hug:

The loss of a mother/father is one of the worst things to happen to you even if you havent had a perfect relationship with them.

I dont think we will ever know just how hard losing his Dad hit him, my Mum was fighting cancer the same time as Bob and I lost my mum 18 months ago and it still hurts like hell.

philod said:
For Starsgoblue:

. But eventually you have to turn and face yourself.

YES! That's the crux of my theory right there! Facing yourself and figuring out what and who you are in light of things. Thank Philod! This album is going to be the next "big one"...I'm not just saying that 'cause I'm a fan, this is going to be a monster.

With songs like One Step Closer to Knowing U2 are doing something that I think is almost uinique. By sharing an intensely personal experience openly they are helping others who have gone and are going through similar experiences, but also, providing songs that we will go back to when we encounter the same experience in the future.

I think this song will be something in the bag for many of us to return to when we need it.

This is what great music is - as opposed to disposable throwaway pop - but thats their prerogative!

:bow:

A bit more on the album's sound:

The first impression is of the most U2-sounding album since The Joshua Tree. It has that album's epic scope, while also harking back to early career peaks The Unforgettable Fire and War. Anthems and big themes are very much back in, confirming the trajectory of 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Back
Top Bottom