How long have you been a fan??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
September 9, 1992 at the MTV Video Music Awards. I was fourteen years old. Going fast and steady ever since. Any dollar I earned was a dollar spent on them.

I admit that I've changed the exact year I became a fan a few times, sometimes I date it from having "I Will Follow" knock my socks off in 1981--I thought it was the most *amazing* rock 'n roll song-- but more usually from getting hypnotized while watching Red Rocks on MTV in 1983. Anyway, I've been doing this fan thing awhile. :wink:

Last edited:
My musical awakening took place in 1998. I was a ticking time-bomb with U2 being the fuse. In the fall of 98, I purchased the best of the 80s. To this day, I don't why I did it. As a poor student at the time, I barely had enough money to purchase the CD. As fate would have it, I purchased the CD without having too much of a clue of what would be on it.
BAM!!!!! A personal explosion occurred and I became an instant hardcore fan. I've been ever since.

Had a familiarity with the band throughout late 80s...a vague memory of Bono being really drunk at some ceremony and someone having to take away his drink and cigarette so he could make some sort of speech ...a vague memory of Zoo TV and cartoons (not sure why)...realized around release of "Best of 80-90" that I really liked WOWY, Streets, Desire, Pride....started buying them all...and ended up being more of a 90sU2 than 80sU2 fan.

Aardvark747 said:
Since Discotheque...

Hellz yea, Discotheque is THE SONG! I was only in 3rd grade, 9 years old, the only bands I knew and liked were the Dixie Dregs and Jethro Tull (I know. I was a weird kid.) My mom tried to put on this new CD she had gotten, telling me I'd like it, but I whined, saying I wanted to listen to Jethro Tull...eventually she just put it in, and as soon as the first song was over my response was "...can we hear that AGAIN?!" Mom eventually got tired of me listening to the same song over and over (though it was actually the reason she bought the album in the first place, she heard Discotheque on the radio and loved it) so she let me "borrow" the CD... I must've listened to Discotheque 948 times before I realized there were actually other songs on the CD. :lol: of course once I realized this I fell in love with the whole CD. When my mom divorced her husband (my stepdad at the time) a couple months later, we were in the car driving to our new apartment, and I was crying, and my mom was all "I'm sorry sweetie, I know you're sad, and I know you'll miss David, and I know it's hard, but..." and I was like "yeah I know, I mean I'm sad about the divorce and all, but mostly I'm sad because...I'll never get to hear Discotheque again..." My mom couldn't believe that was why I was crying, but when she reassured me that the CD was hers, I stopped crying. True story. I wasn't sad because of the divorce, I was sad because I thought the divorce meant no more U2. :p after that I bought the Discotheque single, then The Joshua Tree, then Zooropa, and I went on from there, loving every CD I bought... so I guess I've been a fan for, what, 7 years now? That's practically half of my life. U2 has shaped my childhood, my adolescence, and now my young adult (aka teenager) years... they're a pretty big part of my life :D

Since I was 13, and a friend took me to go see Rattle and Hum...Now I'm 30 and my 5 year old knows who they are, and asks me to play them all the time, and loves to dance to the IPod commercial! I also like to tell people that my 3 year old has already been to one of their concerts, I saw an Elevation show while I was pregnant!

I liked their music since around 1982.

But I became a fan in 1984 (I was 14) when I saw them live on the Unforgettable Fire tour in San Francisco. The Red Rockers opened.

I tried desperately to get up to front of the stage and after being only 3 rows away had to be carried away - I'm only 5'2 and was being crushed by the others that were creating "waves" to push up to the front.

To this day, I still hope to make up to the front. :sad:

Last edited:
Evalicious said:
I became a fan when "Beautiful day" was released.

I had never listened to U2 before that, but now
i looooove pop and achtung baby and all those
older albums

took the words right out of my mouth, except sometime in 2001. Err, so not when BD was released. Rather, I became a fan after buying atyclb all because I loved BD.

I think about 8 years now...

I'd love to say I was a fan since they first started but I kinda wasn't born until 1984. :wink:

Good question.... ummm, I was always somewhat familiar with the band, I guess. In the mid-late 90s, I remember hearing ISHFWILF and With Or Without You, thinking they were pretty decent songs. Didn't know they did the Sweetest Thing for awhile then. I do remember watching the ABC special in 1997 with my older sister, thinking Bono was some crazy dude in concert, haha.

I guess that all changed when I tried remembering a song I liked as a kid in 2000, and all I remembered was the lyrics "it's alright, it's alright... she moves in mysterious ways". I eventually find out the band did it. And awhile later, I took a chance on Achtung Baby. Realized they also did One, and listened to those two songs a bit. I did listen to AB the whole way through once then, but I didn't take to it right away.

Eventually, I bought All That You Can't Leave Behind, after liking the singles off that one. Overtime, I began to appreciate more of the tracks off Achtung Baby, and after that, I bought the albums, the Best Ofs, and became a permanent fan. Never looked back either.

ultrraviolette said:

:yes: it's a happy little addiction :wink:

Sure is - though I don't think my Dad would agree. Not that he doesn't like U2, there are a numbered of songs he likes - but, U2 is all I've been listening to the last 2 months, every time I go for a drive be listening to U2. :)

This is gonna be long...

I was fourteen in '87, just after The Joshua Tree, and I cannot remember exactly where I heard With or Without You, but I was instantly hooked, and bought all their previous albums, tried to get my hands on anything U2, recorded as many videos as possible which I later lost :( went to see Rattle & Hum by myself 'cos I was the only U2 fan I knew. Anyway, been a HUGE fan ever since, but kinda backed away from the obsession thing for them between 97- 2000. I still listened to them, but just wasn's as obsessed like before. Now though, since coming to this site, I'm revisiting the obsession thing and wishing I had the cash to order all this U2 paraphernalia I'm seeing!!! Can't wait for their tour, am really hoping to meet Bono this time!!! :love:

1984. I was 13. Saw the "New Year's Day" video on MTV, back when it was cutting edge. Fell in love with the song, (not to mention the drummer) and have been a fan ever since

Last edited:
Didn't listen to them till I came to college two years ago. Now I'm one of the biggest fans at my school. I have all their albums and love War, TJT, Actung, Zooropa and HTDAAB!

1982 when I was 15. I saw a clip of them doing 'Gloria' live from somewhere and I was mesmerised!! Started saving my £1 a week pocket money so that I could get their albums!

Well, I'm 15, and although I liked Beautiful Day, it was Elevation that hooked me. I bought the album, went nuts, two months after I bought the Best of 1980-1990, then Joshua Tree. I had those three for a year or something. Then Best of 1990-2000 came out, I first heard Stay, and then I bought all their albums.

AtomicBono said:

Hellz yea, Discotheque is THE SONG! I was only in 3rd grade, 9 years old, the only bands I knew and liked were the Dixie Dregs and Jethro Tull (I know. I was a weird kid.) My mom tried to put on this new CD she had gotten, telling me I'd like it, but I whined, saying I wanted to listen to Jethro Tull...eventually she just put it in, and as soon as the first song was over my response was "...can we hear that AGAIN?!" Mom eventually got tired of me listening to the same song over and over (though it was actually the reason she bought the album in the first place, she heard Discotheque on the radio and loved it) so she let me "borrow" the CD... I must've listened to Discotheque 948 times before I realized there were actually other songs on the CD. :lol: of course once I realized this I fell in love with the whole CD. When my mom divorced her husband (my stepdad at the time) a couple months later, we were in the car driving to our new apartment, and I was crying, and my mom was all "I'm sorry sweetie, I know you're sad, and I know you'll miss David, and I know it's hard, but..." and I was like "yeah I know, I mean I'm sad about the divorce and all, but mostly I'm sad because...I'll never get to hear Discotheque again..." My mom couldn't believe that was why I was crying, but when she reassured me that the CD was hers, I stopped crying. True story. I wasn't sad because of the divorce, I was sad because I thought the divorce meant no more U2. :p after that I bought the Discotheque single, then The Joshua Tree, then Zooropa, and I went on from there, loving every CD I bought... so I guess I've been a fan for, what, 7 years now? That's practically half of my life. U2 has shaped my childhood, my adolescence, and now my young adult (aka teenager) years... they're a pretty big part of my life :D

best.fanstory.evar. :D

Since 87 with Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day. About the same time I discovered the Cure's Catch Me and Just Like Heaven.

riverfari

Since 1983 for me. I just fell in the love with the Boy album. It was one of the first three records I ever bought (on vinyl no less).

Been into them from the start really&always realised that they would be MEGA, but i'd say there were maybe varying stages of loving them. Red Rocks was when i realised they had something really special in the way they performed, LIVE AID got me well hooked and then i felt so proud to see them become THAT big during The Joshua Tree! I keep loving the more and more, if that's possible :bow: :bow: :bow:

It's funny how it seems like either you've been a fan since War or since ATYCLB. Interesting dichotomy here.

I've been a fan since 1995 when I went to this writing camp and this guy played One for me and so I went out and bought the album with One on it.

:)

Then it sort of spiraled from there.

I've been a U2 fan since 1992 when I saw the video for Where The Streets Have No Name for the first time. It was the coolest video I had ever seen and still is! One of my roommates had a collection of U2 tapes- one of them being the Joshua Tree. I began listening to Where The Streets Have No Name over and over on the tape deck. Then I started playing the first 3 songs over and over and I was hooked! (Streets, Still Haven't Found, and With or Without You. How could I not get hooked?)

Later in the year I saw the Fox Zoo TV special and that's what got me into listening to Achtung Baby and realizing that "I gotta see these guys in concert!" That was the beginning of U2 becoming my undisputed #1 favorite band! :bow:

Back
Top Bottom