Have U2 ever helped you through a bad time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So about 2 weeks ago, my fiance decides that we're through, all the sudden. It really came from nowhere, and I just didn't know how to react. But I spent so much time with her and she became such a huge part of my life, and now there is this huge empty hole. I'm seeing more of my friends than I have in awhile, but it doesn't really do it.

Thank God for the music of U2. Songs like Walk on, Beautiful Day, Kite, One, Whos gonna ride your wild horses, pretty much all of ATYCLB...they've all been extremely helpful in my quest to get my life back.

Has anybody else ever been touched deeply by U2s music, and if so, your story please?

Aw, The_acrobat, I'm sorry to hear that about your fiance :( :hug:.
Her loss, I say.

Interestingly enough, U2 helped me out before I'd become a big fan of them. Some of you have heard this story before, and it's kinda long, but...*shrug*.

I was in 11th grade at the time. And I'd developed this crush on a guy I knew from my poetry group, as well as from my gym class.

Unfortunately, he was a senior. And I'd just really gotten to know him that year in particular, and was therefore bummed because he was graduating at the end of the year. I was also jealous of the girls who had known him for a long time, particularly this one girl who was, like, his best friend (and it sucked even more that I was jealous of her, 'cause she was so nice). The guy and I were good friends and all, but we just never got that close as friends, and if I couldn't go out with him (some people told me he had a girlfriend, and at times it looked like he was rather friendly with this one girl, but other times, the things he said and did made it seem like he was single), I'd at least like to have been his close friend.

So, like I said, I was unhappy about the whole situation.

Well, one day, a girl from my gym class had given me a ride back to school (our class had gone to the bowling alley, 'cause that was our unit we were doing at the time), and I was sitting there kinda listening to the radio and zoned out at the moment.

And then "Stuck In A Moment" came on. I liked the song, so I was listening to it, and then I heard the verse that goes, "I never thought you were a fool, but darling, look at you. You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere, baby."

Now as a whole, the song doesn't really seem to have anything to do with a crush (at least, most people wouldn't interpret it that way), but that verse, at the moment, was kind of a nice one for me to hear, 'cause it, to me, seemed like it was telling me that, yes, I can go ahead and miss this guy when he's gone and all, but I shouldn't just focus on him and mope around over him. I can't change the past, I should just enjoy the time that I do have with him and move on.

So that's, as one person referred to it one time on here, my "Dawson's Creek" type story :). That's a song that's helped me out.

Angela

The_Acrobat,

Sorry for the loss, i agree its hers. yes, u2 have helped me through hard times. about 4 years ago i was head over heals in love. things happend, and we went our seperate ways. you could say for a while i was "stuck in a moment". U2s music got me through.i am engaged now, so things happen for a reason.

Walk On!

good riddence to her acrobat, better to find out now then go through with the marriage and have her divorce you down the line. Have a Guinness, listen to So Cruel, Dirty Day, and then Walk On........you see first the saddness, anger, then uplifting.

you'll be fine bud

good riddence to her acrobat, better to find out now then go through with the marriage and have her divorce you down the line. Have a Guinness, listen to So Cruel, Dirty Day, and then Walk On........you see first the saddness, anger, then uplifting.

you'll be fine bud!

arw9797 said:
U2 actually saved me and I just am not quite sure where I would be today without them.
Same here too. My story would take up far too much room, as it's pretty much a year-long epic. The Halloween show in 2001 came at the right time, at the perfect place, and it carried me through the darkest winter. There have been other times when the music carried me through something difficult, but not as difficult as that time.

One Tree Hill definitely helped me through it when my dad died :yes:

When I went travelling last year, I went up One Tree Hill, sat on the hill side with my walkman and listened to that song on repeat, thinking about my dad. It was a very special moment :)

Kite from the Slane DVD does it for me. I lost my dad quite unexpectedly 18 months ago and I sometimes get annoyed with myself for still breaking down over it. But when I saw Bono's emotions during this performance, it made me realize that even after a lot of time has passed-the hurt never really goes away. You just learn to live with it, but it's ok to let it out when you need to.

Acrobat-keep your chin up. You'll meet someone who will truly love & appreciate you someday.

U2 saved my life, my sanity, my soul. I never thought music could have such a great impact. Some of the songs that have helped the most are Walk On, With Or Without You, Wake Up Dead Man, and The Electric Co. (whenever something really annoys me, I just crank this up, yell it out, and feel much better).

Yes at least 2 times that I can think of.

I had been a casual fan of U2 since I was 7 yrs old thanks to my cousin who was from Mexico and was a huge fan. Well there was a point in my life when I was going through some rough things and I had gotten to the point where I was suicidal at the age of 11. Well my cousin came up to San Antonio a weekend and he played me his Achtung Baby cd and played me One. As soon as I heard the first line I broke down. It summed up exactly how I was feeling at the time and were it not for my cousin I would probably not be here today. He ended up giving me his cd and I would play it whenever I would feel really down.

:hug: Acrobat just keep your head high and keep faith

Last edited:
U2's music has done it all. Giving me joy through those first days of falling in love with someone. Giving me comfort in those days when my heart was ripped into pieces. Giving me the sweetest memories of my wedding day (All I Want is You edit being the wedding song). And being blessed to hear the world broadcast premiers of U2 songs on the very days my children came into this world (Aug.31/00 Beautiful Day - my daughter and Aug.28/02 Electrical Storm - my son)! Now that is something to treasure. As well, my mother was diagnosed with cancer a day before I was to see U2 live in Vancouver for the Elevation Tour. That show really did amazing things for my soul in dealing with my mother's mortality (She is doing well these days, but bone cancer is inoperatable and it will likely take her life at some point).

Like I said, U2's music has done it all. They are quite obviously the soundtrack of my life.

Clayton.

life eh? it gets tough at times..and so cruel
Achtung Baby came out during a very bleak part of my life, so somehow knowing we all suffer sometimes in the name of love, we all feel confused, lost, alone made me feel somehow........less alone.
Yep, U2 help..a lot.
Good luck everyone...live and learn, survive and grow, rise up.
:)

I've had a problem with depression most of my life, and it comes and goes. Twice, I've had it really bad -- I mean, suicidally bad -- and U2's music has gotten me through it. The first time was my senior year in high school (1985-1986), and I'm going through it again right now. :(

I don't mean to sound like some loony fangirl, and I am well aware the guys have many faults (they are human beings, after all) and they certainly don't have all the answers. What they do have is faith, intelligence, compassion and a strong understanding of the human condition, not to mention the ability and willingness to explain it through song. As Cass said, somehow knowing we all suffer makes us feel less alone. :yes:

Thank God for U2.

Sue DeNym said:
I've had a problem with depression most of my life, and it comes and goes. Twice, I've had it really bad -- I mean, suicidally bad -- and U2's music has gotten me through it. The first time was my senior year in high school (1985-1986), and I'm going through it again right now. :(

Aww...:( :hug:.

:hug:s to everyone else here who's gone through tough times as well.

Originally posted by Sue DeNym
I don't mean to sound like some loony fangirl, and I am well aware the guys have many faults (they are human beings, after all) and they certainly don't have all the answers. What they do have is faith, intelligence, compassion and a strong understanding of the human condition, not to mention the ability and willingness to explain it through song. As Cass said, somehow knowing we all suffer makes us feel less alone. :yes:

Thank God for U2.

Amen.

Angela

Kite

I'm not a very emotional person usually but Kite has helped to realize that sometimes you have to get past pride and let the pain go especially when it come to family. I come from a family where we don't talk about our feelings that how I grew up. My dad and I never had a great relationship and not once have I ever heard him say I love you. I spent alot of time trying to make him proud , playing sports etc.. etc.. I tried to be daddy's girl . but it was never enough his comment always seemed to be you could do better. He drank alot and could sometimes be very cold, we fought like cats and dogs all through me teenage years . Anyway I built up alot of hurt.
The day I found out he was sick was every emotional and I was going through alot it's when I heard Kite for the first time and I cried something just hit me. It was like my Dad talking to me
It helped me to reconcile with my Dad somewhat we still have tough times , what I realised was that he thought he was making me stronger by acting the way he did by pushing me to do more and do better.

So I thank U2 for the song , and Bono for the lyrics for the heart to sing them. It makes my time a little better .

My father is a tough man .. but I know he loves me and Kite helped me with alot of that pain and still does.

Yesterday I went to visit my grandmother in hospice. She's been there over a year, and will never get out; she has senile dementia as the result of several strokes.

She hasn't been eating, rarely takes in any fluids, and has lost a great deal of weight. When I spoke to her, she looked at me but didn't recognize me.

I can't describe how awful I felt, how awful I still feel.

When I came home, I put on ATYCLB, listened to Walk On and Kite. Those two songs are amongst the most powerful the band has ever done. They can express how I am feeling, and they do help to soothe the pain, giving voice to my emotions in a way that I cannot.

I'll say it again: thank God for U2.

Sue DeNym said:
Yesterday I went to visit my grandmother in hospice. She's been there over a year, and will never get out; she has senile dementia as the result of several strokes.

She hasn't been eating, rarely takes in any fluids, and has lost a great deal of weight. When I spoke to her, she looked at me but didn't recognize me.

I can't describe how awful I felt, how awful I still feel.

:( :hug:. Same to you, Katey.

When I came home, I put on ATYCLB, listened to Walk On and Kite. Those two songs are amongst the most powerful the band has ever done. They can express how I am feeling, and they do help to soothe the pain, giving voice to my emotions in a way that I cannot.

:yes:. I've felt that way about those songs before, too.

I've always seen songs like those as hugs. It's like they're right there next to us, telling us everything will be okay, comforting us.

I'll say it again: thank God for U2.

:yes:.

Angela

Thanks for including me in the note..
I just want to give U2 a gigantic bear hug because especially forKite .. what that song did for me I can not even put into words. It also reminded me of the great things my Dad showed me like the value of "love thy neighbour" He instilled in me to be informed and be a good global citizen. that the value of a life in the third world is every much as valuable as mine.. He taught me those things and I carry them with me everyday. Kite helped me to realise the gifts he did give me and that his lessons and life will be carried on. Although my dad was tough on me others saw him as a very very caring compasionate man, and he is . He saw the good and hope in everyone, although we had our differnce I am thankful for that He taught me to stand on my own two feet, I got so lost in the bad parts that it was difficult to see that ..

Bono is right Communication is the Key!!

Oh geez! where to start....so many times, so many ways. Walk On is my all-time favorite U2 song -- it became that way at the 10/24 NYC Elevation show. I think that totally summed up what alot of us in that building were going through at the time.

Sue-- sorry to hear about your grandmother. My grandma was diagnosed with dementia/Altzeimer's earlier this year so I am beginning to understand what you're going through.

They have helped thru many a hard time over the last few years.

Right around Popmart I had been what was probably one of the most unhappy periods of my life due to many different reasons. I was on the verge of suffering panic attacks it was so bad and the fact that I had tickets to the show got me out of the house and my worries off my mind for the first time in months. Somehow it cleared my mind and not long after that I set goals to change the things that were making me so unhappy and not long after I reached the goals I had set. That concert was a turning point for me.

I'd have to say that I have found the most comfort from their music after ATYCLB was released...somehow it came at the right time. It helped me get thru my father dealing with cancer and feeling like I had to be the strong person in the family and realizing that those closest to you are truly mortal and may not be there forever. There was also other family drama going on at the same time. Then again I turned to ATYCLB to help me deal with making thru my father's surgery this summer. I can put on that album and lose myself in the music and somehow when I'm finished listening I get the sense that everything is going to be ok. The Elevation show when I went seemed to lift a huge weight off my shoulders...I cant put that into words.

Last edited:
You're welcome, Katey.

:hug:s to everyone out there who's gone through or is going through some hardships in life.

I wish U2 could read this thread so that they could see just how much their music means to us, how helpful they've been to us, if they don't realize it already.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom