Had Bomb Been Released In 2003...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phattom

The Fly
how big do you think it would have been? This, of course, means that the version that would have come out would have been the Chris Thomas version (you'll have to lean back and imagine that those songs were eventually finished, along with some newer ones, but try to capture the feeling of the album).

it be compared to boy or war i think , rough and hard. It be recieved well among non u2 fans and fans alike but it be poked at by critics.

it would of had commerical success whateva happened.

I think it would have been considerably bigger than it was the one that eventually came out. The feeling of the record, that excitement and fevor that comes alongside side a great record, that's what people were expecting from U2, not songs that sounded like U2. I don't think anybody was expecting How To... to sound the way it ended up (and not in an awesome Acthung way, but rather "sounds like warm milk and in bed before 7").

Native Son wouldn't have been as big a single but would have been a bigger album seller as even super indie dudes who say even Animal Collective are unorginal love that song, considerably over Vertigo, which sounds like an album opener, but thematically doesn't really make any sense at all for it.

It also would have prefaced the Killers, Arcade Fire, etc., and since the album has a similar Joy Division-like sound it would flatlined even more people as of being something new, plus the return of Joy Division music, which everybody loved the prior two bands for. Younger people like myself would have gone nuts over hearing Native Son, then All Because of You (alternate), then City of Blinding Lights, then Mercy, then Love and Peace or Else, Sometimes..., as singles. It would have been huge.

The timing for it would have been aweseome considering it would have come out just before 2004: the American elections, Iraq exploding, Africa getting a chance to turn around, during which they would have toured, becoming even more relevant. In fact, I'd say they would have been the single most relevant, eyes-on-you band, as opposed to this time around when they were simply a really big band touring.

Bono's message of equality and dreaming for a better world have benefitted hugely from all this as well. What album released in 2003 would have competed with this one in terms of total wide-sprung I-need-this-ness?

If HTDAAB had come out in 2003 Xanax and Wine would have made the album instead of Fast Cars= Good.
All Because of You with better lyrics= Good.
Native Son instead of Vertigo= Not so good.
Early version of Sometimes w/o the falsetto bit couplet and massive "Can You Hear me when I sing" finale= Unfortunate.
Early version of Yahweh= A pleasant but murky mess.

My take is that when they brought Lillywhite in they threw a bit too much
of the baby out with the bathwater. He had such great ideas about
Vertigo/Native Son (it's not there yet boys) and Sometimes (something is missing Bono) that they listened to him too much. I love Fast Cars but Xanax and Wine is a touch better, especially lyrically. The Itunes alternative version of All Because of You is superior in every way to the album version.
I guess the difference between my feelings and those of the various and sundry snivelers here on Interferece is that I just took my favorite versions of each tune and made my own HTDAAB. It is the digital age. That is what U2 intended by releasing the alternative version. What's the problem?

Back
Top Bottom