Great songs never played live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwc333

The Fly
Two of my favorite songs are A Man and a Woman and Heartland.
These songs aren't ever played live but they are still great. Any other fans of them?

nwc333 said:
These songs aren't ever played live but they are still great. Any other fans of them?

Why, why and yet again why?

I think you will find that most people are fans of Heartland, but torn about Man and a Woman. I like Heartland and I wish it had been on the Joshua Tree. A Man and a Woman is a song (for me), that comes in and out like "wild honey"...kind of a break from the flow and sound of the album(s) overall outlook. I would have preferred mercy or are you gonna wait forever in its place, but it is not the worst song in their catalogue.

Re: Re: Great songs never played live

roy said:

Why, why and yet again why?

isn't it obvious that the person only has like 30 entries....i think some slack should be given every now and then...:)

You mean they haven't been around long enough to be brainwashed or intimidated into hating certain songs? I happen to like Man and a Woman, Heartland, and Wild Honey and I think Zooropa is a severely underrated album. That's not going to change no matter many I hate.... threads I read. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and shouldn't cave in to pressure to change. The posters who seem to feel it is their duty to evangelise their hate for certain songs remind me of obnoxious bible thumpers. I don't have a problem with them believing what they want but that doesn't give them the right to attack me for what I believe. One of the greatest skills people lack these days is the ability to agree to disagree. Its something that I wish more people would learn from Bono. That skill has served him very well in his career both within the band and with the activism. It is at the root of how he gets people from diverse backgrounds to work together.

Sorry, I'll climb off my soapbox now.

Dana

nwc333 said:

I like em both and belive they could both be easily acheived live. I think Heartland live would have the potential to be a show stealer.......and win a lot of doubting Thomas's over.

nwc333 said:

I like them both also, neither blow my mind but they're both pleasant enough and I don't skip them all that often. I'd say that A Man and A Woman is actually one of the better songs on HTDAAB and could have possibly been a single.

I think AMAAW could have been huge but Bono screwed it up on the chorus.

My favorite song from AB is Acrobat, and my favorite from War is Drowning Man. Trust me, I feel your pain. :wink:

I'm not too huge of a fan of the album version of OSC, but I have a feeling that live, it would be fantastic. More clearly defined guitar, a bit more substance to it. Or perhaps stripped down, with a strumming acoustic performance, not unlike Stay during Elevation... the possibilities are endless:drool:

Acrobat, Drowning Man.....two of my favorite songs and never played live.

Did they ever pull Red Hill Mining Town off? Might be too late with Bono's voice. :sad:

all in all I pretty much agree with U2's choice of axing songs from their live repertoire or changing them to acoustics versions, because usually they weren;t really that good

(U2 actually is not that dumb to kick out stuffs that works)

Acrobat is my all time favorite song, from anyone, it's unfortunate they never used it, they claim it's too strange to get right live.

Oh and Heartland is such an amazing song, imagine that coming out of nowhere on the next tour as a closer? It'll never happen but it's fun to dream.

powerhour24 said:
Acrobat is my all time favorite song, from anyone, it's unfortunate they never used it, they claim it's too strange to get right live.

I agree with this :yes: It's not my favourite all time songs but I like it a lot... And I would love to see it live. I think that if they never played it they won't play it now... but who knows?

jedi Larry said:
Did they ever pull Red Hill Mining Town off? Might be too late with Bono's voice. :sad:

Never at a concert, but they attempted it at soundcheck on the Joshua Tree tour in Tennessee. Bono said even then the song "wrecked" his voice. Larry had some timing problems on it. Unfortunately they never tried it again and I doubt they ever will.

In general, I would like to see U2 play "the other half of albums" away from their current comfort zone

Exit, & others from 2nd half of Joshua Tree. (yep, dump the 1st four songs for a while...)

Acrobat, definitely.

Actually, looking at my above post, they have played Exit live. But I'd like to see it and others replace the Nostalgic stuff from Boy that they put on Vertigo tour.

Lynz778 said:
I have a live version of Acrobat on my Ipod...

That's not live in the sense that it was played to an audience.

It was performed at a closed, private rehearsal on 6 August 1992 in Hershey, Pennsylvania. However, one fan outside the venue just happened to tape it.

Acrobat has never been performed publicly.

Personally, I think the two songs U2 absolutely needs to perform live are Acrobat and Heartland. I can perhaps see why some others not done live may be better left in the studio, but those two would rule in the live arena.

By the way, just for the record and to help out those unsure, here's a list of those songs that have never been played live. It's in chronological order by album.

An asterisk means it was snippeted.

- Stranger In A Strange Land*
- Is That All? (Musically, it was essentially done live as The Cry before The Electric Co.)
- Drowning Man*
- The Refugee* (Note: there is a claim that Drowning Man and/or The Refugee MAY have appeared at an early June 1983 concert in Salt Lake City for which we have only a partially known setlist. I rather appropriately take this claim with a grain of salt.)
- Red Light
- Promenade (There is a performance of Bad from 1987 where Bono makes a mid-song speech referencing "the spiral staircase to the higher ground". Snippet? You decide.)
- 4th Of July (Adam has soundchecked it as a warmup.)
- Elvis Presley And America
- Red Hill Mining Town
- Heartland*
- Acrobat
- Some Days Are Better Than Others
- The Playboy Mansion*
- Peace On Earth* (There are a handful of very extended snippets of it that some might count as sufficiently lengthy to be full performances.)
- When I Look At The World*
- Grace
- Electrical Storm
- A Man And A Woman
- One Step Closer

Only one song from Passengers has been done, Miss Sarajevo. And as for b-sides, it's quicker to list those that have been performed rather than those that haven't: and it's even easier to link to my article about it than listing them here!

Back
Top Bottom