Good Album = Bad News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Sorry to bring up this thought, but it may be true.

The new album is supposed to be a killer album. Tons of rock tunes that will blow us away.

But...if it's too good.....

Would it be their last?

I don't know, i think half the reason theysaid theywere pushing for a new album to keep the momentum going was because of ATYCLB's success. Not saying they did keep the momentum, but they are definately hungry and anxious to be back in action. I can't see u2 settling with the end either...there just too much artistic creativity and hunger...

it'll be interesting to see what the band says when the new album smashes through the roof of the charts!

If it was their last, then it will either be the worst album they have made or the best.

I think it's somewhere in between. but it still could be their last.

Did I cover my ass on everything?

It's out Falll '04, it rocks, people move on. It happens. always.

The band probably have too much ego to quit now. Lets see how this album and tour go.

For me I'm gonna enjoy this next album from them and the subsequent tour and then i'm gonna let them drift off into the back of my head meaning I will not be as much of a fan as I am now in the sense that I don't expect too many more albums from them. :( Sometimes it's good to let things go so you remember the good times instead of times like these. :wave:

Well I know they said they'd rather go out with a bang than fade away, but I don't think so - they still have that 3 Best ofs contract and 6 albums after Zooropa contract to fullfil. I'm confident that they will finish this decade too, and after that they might stop. 30 years of career, (at least) 2 classic albums - what more could they ask for?

It could be their last album only if it REALLY flopped.

*edit* I don't know if they're capable of making another album to rival Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby at this point, I think it's more likely they'd come up with a song that will be as strong as With or without you or One. Maybe our expectations are too high.

Last edited:
Isn't it strange though how people hold on to things just because they're older. I mean, would you ever want the Joshua tree or Achtung baby to be replaced???

Has anyone here loved Joshua tree, but when AB came out they said,hey this is soo much better?

Plus, the Joshua tree was their break out album into the main stream and the Joshua tree was the beginning of their next step of music interpretation.

So even if the music on the next album surpasses both the Joshua Tree and AB, will anyone admit that it is better, or say it's almost just as good, and hold on to the sentimental values of JT and AB???

hopefully this makes some ounce of sense to someone out there, LOL!

Plus, the Joshua tree was their break out album into the main stream and the ACHTUNG BABY was the beginning of their next step of music interpretation.

relace the joshua tree in that paragragh with the capatlized AB, as i did above, sorry, lol!

innocent_eyes said:
So even if the music on the next album surpasses both the Joshua Tree and AB, will anyone admit that it is better, or say it's almost just as good, and hold on to the sentimental values of JT and AB???
I don't think many people will

at least that's how I explain the dislike for Zooropa + POP from a lot of people who became fans in the 80's
and the dislike for ATYCLB from a lot of the people who became fans in the 90's

interesting aspect is that both these groups claims the band sold out in making the albums they don't like
go figure

i know what youre saying and i would welcome a Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby type album with open arms. any fan that wouldnt give the new album a chance to recieve that status simply because JT or AB was "their" album needs to be assasinated. if U2 can churn out a real classic album that can hold a flame to either of those albums and mark a true "3rd masterpiece" then i believe it would solidify their race to be the best band in history. however, the new album would also have to convince the non u2 fan that they are indeed the best ever. theres a lot riding on this record, lets keep our fingers crossed and pray for the best.

i don't think a band with integrity like U2, would release an awful album knowing that it was an awful album.

POP wasn't released favorably by critics and fans as they were in the past. But U2 believed in it. And I have to say, POP has some timeless element and staying power that grows on people.

ATYCLB was favorably received by critics and fans. Tho it wasn't their hardest rockin' album, the album was well done.

I'd like to take Bono's word at face value when he said in an interview something like, if they've lost that sense of adventure, you know it's time to go.

Why wasn't POP received well???

I'm under the impression it did well everywhere but USA and UK, consequently, the 2 biggest influences in the music industry.

?

innocent_eyes said:
Isn't it strange though how people hold on to things just because they're older. I mean, would you ever want the Joshua tree or Achtung baby to be replaced???

Hey I'm sure all of us will be like this :bow: if U2 pulls it off and come up with something that will match (or surpass) "their" albums. I will gladly admit it I was wrong.
I just have my doubts about it, I mean think what they're up against every time they make an album: the classic songs of JT/ and One, the impact of the both albums, the groundbreaking tour (Zoo TV), the huge success in US with JT - two no. 1 singles...

(what do you mean "older"? I'm 25 lol) ;)

This is a good thread...I love JT, and I was 21 when it came out so it's kind of a album of my young adulthood. Achtung came out when I was 26, I was married and into a career. ATYCLB came out when I was 34 and established with kids and all. This album will come out in the twilight of my "youth" and I'm let it slide to the top of my list if it proves to be that 'great'. I'm banking on it giving me new memories, just like all the great U2 albums.

I personally don't think whether you came up with U2 in the 80's or didn't join on until the 90's or later matters when picking your favorite U2 album, they all offer something different. What you were going through in your life when you heard them plays a big part in which one you dig the most.

Great!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
bono said in the oprah interview, and has also said this before... that the band is always "2 crap albums" from quitting. so that being said, we've got at least 2 more albums to go before we even start thinking about them retiring

GREAT! THANX FOR DEPRESSING ME :( :sad:

I suppose :sad:
Bu why did Bono say that the albums are going to be 'crap', ALL of their albums are GREAT!

*prays they don't make any crap albums until they're 100* LOL j/k

Although like salome says at least we've got 5 years at least *crosses fingers*

Well they haven't made a crap album yet, so things look pretty good. ;)

I wish other artists (you know who you are) would use that strategy though...

pop wasnt recieved well by some critics, the ones who didnt understand u2.

some fans didnt like it, a lot of them have grown to adore the album

it sold brilliantly considering, hit the top of world charts straight away, but end result was that it wasn as successful as previous albums such as AB and JT

Back
Top Bottom