GONE!!!! The BOSTON version confirms its genius!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
The incredible version of "Gone" in boston only confirms why I love this song so much. I'm am so glad that they played it the two times I saw them cause they are not playing it in this leg. It's simply one of U2's top ten songs ever. The power, the lyrics the ambiance, The lighting during the show, the EDGE going nuts throwing his guitar. The performance just gave me goose bumps and more.
What do you think?

The only bad thing about the DVD btw is the omission of the other songs (MW, One etc.). Buy I'm glad they had the balls to keep this POP gem

I haven't seen the DVD, but they played Gone at the only show I went to, Vancouver. Pop is one of my least favourite U2 albums but Gone is a good song. I enjoyed it in concert. Because a wonderful U2 fan just sent me a boot of Vancouver, I was able to re-experience it. I think it has great lyrics and a very good chorus. However, I also thought it sounded a bit weak in comparison to many (most?) of the other songs in the show. Not that it was bad at all, just not the greatest. It obviously didn't get the biggest crowd reaction either, that could have something to do with it. But it wasn't one of the great moments of the show for me--though the lighting was extremely cool!

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

I like that full band Boston version of Gone better than the acoustic version of Please that I've heard at a couple of shows. In fact, now that I've seen the Boston DVD, Gone is my new favorite song from the POP album.

Agree

I think it's funny cause during the second webchat with Edge he said that the reason he kicked the guitar is cause he thought they had murdered the song. Personally I thought it rocked!!!!!

Seriously and the thing that cracked me up the most is how when Edge throws the guitar on the floor and then kicks it it's still in synch with the song. I don't know how to explain but did anyone else notice it?

I heard the song in Miami, in all honesty I didn't know it back then, I also don't recall Bono playing the guitar during it (feel free to correct me). Anyway I think half of the audience knew it, maybe more did, but I think only about half were into it. I liked it better after hearing the boot, after hearing the POP album. So audience reaction really has a lot to do with with how you take it in. Unless of course it's like a complete rarity then it doesn't really matter if you're the only one that knows it (e.g. Red Hill Mining Town).

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

ah, well that would explain a lot now wouldn't it? LOL wow so now I wonder who decided it would be cool to keep angry Edge in the video?

I like it, it's cool, it's funny cause I know the context of it. But for an outsider watching it they would think Edge is a Nirvana wannabe and it wouldn't look as cool. I guess what I'm saying is that it's not exactly an accurate representation of our man.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by mbi16:
I like it, it's cool, it's funny cause I know the context of it. But for an outsider watching it they would think Edge is a Nirvana wannabe and it wouldn't look as cool.

Maybe, but if anyone had the gall to suggest that Edge was a Nirvana wannabe I would be moved to remind them that the Who and Jimi Hendrix originated the "Guitar Destruction as a Live Art" phenomenon.
In the late sixties the Who went so far as to plant explosives in their amps for the encore. Townsend would smash his guitar and Moon would do hideous things to his drumkit. Once, when Hendrix opened for the Who he was so pressed for a way to upstage them that he made love to his guitar, jizzed some lighter fluid on it and set it aflame! Not bad, eh? But he stole that idea from Jerry Lee Lewis who set his piano on fire in the late fifties.
By the time Nirvana got around to ritualistically destroying their instuments it had been done by every ten cent punk band. Nirvana were great but I thought that aspect of their live show was very contrived.

MAP

Jimi Hendrix opening for the Who???

Wow. If I had a time machine...

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

any one notice that one second the guitar is on one side of teh stage..then teh other..they edited the whole bit in between...it's really funny when you looks at it close

He actually did not kick it in time with the music at the show, it was edited in that way.

Originally posted by curehp:
He actually did not kick it in time with the music at the show, it was edited in that way.

Well, that takes the fun out of it!
mad.gif
I wish they hadn't done so much editing.

Originally posted by mbi16:

Seriously and the thing that cracked me up the most is how when Edge throws the guitar on the floor and then kicks it it's still in synch with the song. I don't know how to explain but did anyone else notice it?

LOL! I know exactly what you mean, mbi16! My friend and I were cracking up because he kicked the guitar perfectly in synch with Larry's final drum/cymbal crash.
smile.gif

But I do think it's kind of weird that they edited in Edge kicking the guitar. That's not exactly an accurate potrayal of him, and it makes it seem like that's a regular occurence. Do you think the band decided to edit that in? Or was it all up to some director/editor?

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
Do you think the band decided to edit that in? Or was it all up to some director/editor?

According to our buddy UCLA it was edited in, whose decision it was is still a mystery to me.

And Matthew I know Nirvana didn't start the guitar smashing but I figured if anyone is gonna be ignorant enough to think Edge is always like that then they're obviously not gonna credit the right person. Do you follow my train of thought?

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Nevermind Matt I just re-read your thing and realized we agree.

Actually noon is pretty early for me.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Back
Top Bottom