Gone (new mix)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
On the Gone new mix version did Bono record new vocals in 2002 because they sound much stronger than the version on Pop. I have never heard anyone talk about. Did the whole song gret rerecorded by the entire band? Also I think the new mix is perfect realy love the song.

I think Bono's vox and some additional guitars were added. They've definitely tweaked the rhythm tracks, but I don't think Larry and Adam redid anything.

To my ears, the new vocals are too loud. It's a good performance, but maybe I'm too used to the Pop version.

I think the whole tune was rerecorded, except for th 747 guitar bit.

There's no doubt the vocal is completely new.

And the old vocal was better.

phanan said:
Disagree. The old vocal sucks.

This is the one song where the best of mix blows the original out of the water.

Absolutely true.

phanan said:
Disagree. The old vocal sucks.

This is the one song where the best of mix blows the original out of the water.

Nope. Bono falls back on his "Indian Chat" thingy cause his voice had nothing. Weak as could be.

The background vocal was better though.

How can anyone say the new beats the old? The guitar solo was removed from the new version.

I'm with MrBrau1 here. Neither version is perfect, but original just seems more raw and emotional, not overproduced. Also the vocals are much better, just compare "I'll be uuuuuuuuuup with the sun, you're still holding on" part.

I stopped listening to the Pop version now that the great live-version mix is here. Same with Discotheque.

Personally I never liked the additional Edge backing vocal.

This is one of the most butchered songs by the band, EVER.

I'll refer yet AGAIN to the interview when Pop came out where Bono described the sessions for recording the album version's vocal. He said he felt as though someone was walking over his grave when he sang it. The lyric is one of the most autobiographical of his career.

I don't know how you can wish for an "improvement" on that, as it's a one-of-a-kind moment.

Do you people just have no soul? Music isn't about fucking perfection, it's about feeling. And no, the band wanting to tamper with it doesn't mean the gesture is right.

Leave well enough alone. It was the best song on Pop to begin with.

I only really liked the song during the Elevation tour
I can do without either recorded version and the POPMart live version

Zooropean103 said:
I'm with MrBrau1 here. Neither version is perfect, but original just seems more raw and emotional, not overproduced. Also the vocals are much better, just compare "I'll be uuuuuuuuuup with the sun, you're still holding on" part.

But the new mix isn't overproduced. U2 has overproduced songs. The new mix is not one of them.

gman said:
I prefer everything about the "new mix" over the original. Even if it was for just the Edge "Down" vocal

I second you there mate! Every time the original is on my ipod, I just miss those backing vocals! and the original seems to bore me these days... prolly cause I'm used to the live versions... :shrug:
Imo Live >> best of >> album version

Bono's vocals are realy realy strong on the best of version listen to first of all the whole thing compaired with the pop version but listen to the - Goodbye, no emotional goodniiiiiiiiiight, I’ll be uuuup with the sun, Are you stiiiiiiiiiiiill holding on - if that isnt Bono singing good I dont know what is. His voice is way above the top of his range. Great redo of the song the way it was supose to be done originaly.

As for staring at the sun on the best of that is just watered down beyong beleife. Discoteque still sounds good more of like a single version cant complain about it

Not a fan of the new mix either. Bono's vocals are so OTT it's actually quite funny. And they should have stuck the orginal Discotheque single mix on the Best Of too, if only for the intro. It pisses all over the album and new mix.

U know what I've come 2 realize? A lot of the people that hold Pop so close 2 their hearts just refuse 2 even b OPEN 2 the possibility that the later versions of some of the trax r better... almost as if in doing so, they would have 2 admit that the album is not perfect.

I LOVE Pop, but I have 2 admit, the single versions on Please, LNOE, IGWSHA and the Best of Mix of Gone r all significant improvements! And apart from the "boom-cha's" that I miss, the Best of Mix of Discotheque rocks Ur face off!

phillyfan26 said:
But the new mix isn't overproduced. U2 has overproduced songs. The new mix is not one of them.

Agreed.

Gone is in my top ten U2 songs because of the new mix. It is superior in every single way to the original. I find this argument with regards to the emotion being destroyed by the new mix to be baffling, as I think it's only in the new mix that the song's power is realised to its full intensity.

The "New Mix" could be called "cheesy mix".
The new version stole all the soul and epic feeling of the original one.
Those new guitar tracks are very bad taste, Bono's singing too loud and... where's the fucking great piano in some parts? I can't almost hear it sometimes...

There were "Pop" songs that got improved, that got better with the new (much more produced) versions. "Gone" ("Staring At The Sun" and "Discotheque") are exceptions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom