George Harrison about U2 in todays newspaper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloria

The Fly
This is a translation of what I read in todays (Dutch)newspaper. I can't understand why he would say this about U2 but here it is:

"...Harrison realized the Beatles influence on music. The music of the Beatles is everlasting, he said. That wasn't his opinion of some of todays hitmakers. In an interview with a French newspaper he said about the Spice Girls " The good thing about them is that you can watch them without listening to their music. For bands like U2 the only thing that is still important is to make a lot of money. It doesn't have to do anything with talent. Will we remember the Spice Girls and U2 in 30 years? I doubt it".

Yeah, my guess is that in reality Harrison paid very little attention to U2's music and was just making a statement about popular music at the time. I mean, does anyone believe he actually gave a serious listen to the songs of the Spice Girls?
biggrin.gif
rotfl

I was wondering if anyone else remembered that...

August 1, 1997
From The Associated Press:

PARIS (AP) - They may revere and try to emulate the Beatles, but the chart-busting group Oasis doesn't impress George Harrison. He'd rather get out his old Bob Dylan records.

To one of the former Fab Four, the younger quintet is "not very interesting." Nor are U2 or Spice Girls for that matter, he said.

"It's nice if you're 14 years old," Harrison, 54, told the French daily Le Figaro in its Wednesday edition. "I prefer to listen to Dylan."

Besides, today's musicians are mostly "egocentrics," said Harrison, in Paris to promote Ravi Shankar's album, "Songs of India," which he produced.

"Will anyone remember U2 in 30 years? I doubt it. And the Spice Girls? I doubt it," he said. "The advantage they have is you can look at them and cut off the sound."

But the Beatles have fans from 7 to 77 years old, he said. "That assures me and proves that the group has meaning and still lasts."

Other juicy quotes, from http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_583000/583411.stm , I believe from the same interview:

"You know what irritates me about modern music, it's all based on ego.

"Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money.

"It's nothing to do with talent."

The Beatles, he said, "had a value which will last forever".

"Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. Will we remember U2 in 30 years? Or the Spice Girls? I doubt it."

Of course, Bono responded:

August 26, 1997
From Irish Mirror:

Furious U2 star Bono has sent a rude one-fingered mesage to ex-Beatle George Harrison.

On the eve of of the group's weekend concerts in their Dublin hometown, the Irish singer slammed Harrison for saying U2's music was worthless and no one would remember it.

Bono, 37, told a sell-out Popmart tour at Leeds: "Good people of Yorkshire, you are making a terrible mistake."

"George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. He said its all about big hats, lemons, and egos."

Then sticking his finger in the air in a rude gesture, Bono barked: "This one's for you George, pump it up!!"

The crowd cheered U2 and jeered Harrison.

Harrison mocked the band for having a giant lemon in their show and because the guitarist wears a stetson.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 12-03-2001).]

Yeah, he flamed Tom Jones a couple of times for getting a different repetoire. More Sex Bomb and less Green Green Grass Of Home.

Yeah, well, U2 paid their respects to Harrison by playing some of his music on tour. Glad to see they're being gracious about it now.

Who gives a shit...that was 4 years ago.

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

He was just a hippie, second rate guitarist that took a long ride on Lennon-McCartney's coat tails.

As a whole, I will take U2's collection of songs over the Beatles any day. And you don't see U2 getting sued for stealing songs from the Supremes.

I hope George is enjoying Purgatory with his sitar and bowl of weed...and that goddess with 12 arms or whatever...

So George didn;t like u2 so what?He admitted he didn;t really listen to any music except Indian and Bob Dylan in another article.(so he could have a well informed opinion right?)As far as his "egotistical" remark about U2 correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Beatles break up because of slightly inflated egos and money?Yes I beleive they did!!

I wouldnt have expected anything less from U2 than to pay tribute to Harrison in some way. I mean, you can argue amongst each other all you want when things are going ok, but when someone dies, becomes seriously sick or injured, or faces a tragedy of some sort, its time to back off and focus on whats really important. U2 had every right to fight back after George said those things, but now its time to forget and forgive, at least a little bit.
U2 are true gentlemen.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Originally posted by u2sangel:
So George didn;t like u2 so what?
nothing wrong with that
but why talk a lot of BS about them?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Let's put this in some sort of perspective ok? Harrison disliked U2 but he was a big fan of Bob Dylan's. Bob Dylan is a U2 fan and is on friendly terms with Bono. Who are the other great bands of the sixties? The Rolling Stones? Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are both U2 fans. Heck, Richards played guitar on Love Rescue Me with u2 in the Smile Jamaica Smile benefit concert. Mick did a duet with Bono called Joy.
The Who? Pete Townsend is a BIG U2 fan. He has been quoted as calling them an "undeniably great band." And guess who was playing guitar on the Bono/Jagger duet? Yep, that was Pete.
Van Morrison has giving grudging respect to U2 and Bono. Coming from Morrison this is the equivalent of gushing praise.
The keyboardist from the Doors (Robbie Krieger??) said that U2 are one of the last of the great bands.
Led Zep? Robert Plant has made fun of Bono in the past (talk about people in glass houses...) but according to B.P. Fallon he does have a favorite U2 song and it's SALOME! If he knows u2's song cataloque well enough to be aware of a b-side than he must be something of a fan. Edge's guitar tech said that Jimmy Page has asked him how Edge gets some of the guitar tones and sounds. That is a HUGE compliment to the Edge.
B.B. King. See Rattle and Hum.
Johnny Cash. See Zooropa.
Cher is a huge fan. Wait, that's not really much of a compliment is it?
Anyone know what Santana thinks of the boys?

In the grand scheme of things U2 have been exceedingly well received by the previous generation of rock legends. What's most remarkable about this is that they've gotten that respect on their own terms without imitating these legends. It's really no surprise that sixties bands are supportive of say, the Black Crowes or Lenny Kravitz because the Crowes and Kravitz lavish praise and worship unto the sixties bands. U2 on the other hand paint with a totally different pallet.

MAP

I don't think Bono really cares if Harrison didn't like them, he said it right off the bat in that CNN interview over the weekend.
When he was asked what he thought about George Harrison as a person and musically, Bono responded " well he didn't like U2, thats for sure". And the interviewer asked "really" and Bono said something like "We love them, but he didn't care for us"

As far as i know , Roger Taylor ( Queen ex-drummer ) , is a U2 fan since 85' , Freddie , this is only a rumour from fans and his close people, loved UF
Byron Dafoe is a U2 fan
biggrin.gif

Do I have to remind you all that George has died- let the man be in peace......

This is such a trivial and pathetic thread, hate to break it to you fans but not everyone in the world likes U2, and that is cool, there would be too many people at their concerts then, but for heaven's sake let George be.........

I used to like the Beatles. I have most of their albums and was really into them for a period when I was still in my teens. But comments from Harrison like this are just one reason they really got on my nerves. The more research I did on them, the more I lost respect for them. It's very hypocritical of Harrison to say anything about any band being in it for the money. The Beatles whored themselves out more than any band in history. Seems to me they never met a marketing idea they didn't like. Contrary to what their fans say, most of whom seem to have been born years after they broke up, they did not invent pop music. They nicked ideas from obscure bands just like everyone else. Even U2 does this. In my humble opinion, the Beatles are overrated and overmarketed and, if not for George Martin, would have been nothing more than the Dave Clark Five or Herman's Hermits. They rose to fame on the shrieks of teenage girls just like N'Sync. As far as leaving the man alone because he's dead, when will the Beatles leave us alone? I go to a magazine rack, their they are. I turn on the tv, Beatles again. I don't need a two minute commercial(or a six hour, three night ABC special) to let me know that the Beatles have repackaged their catalogue for the fifth time. They are everywhere invading every crevice of human existence.

And I'd like to thank someone for pointing out that most of rock's elders(The Who, The Stones, Dylan, etc)have given nods to U2. None of the Beatles ever did this and I'm starting to think it's because they want to protect their own legacy.

Anyway, I apologize if I offended anyone, but I felt like I needed to get that off my chest. U2 are bigger men than I am. Playing My Sweet Lord was a sweet gesture.

Very well said dog - of the thousands of songs the Beatles wrote - I like about 6... and I also agree - they were the biggest sell outs of all time...they make Michael Jackson look like he belongs on an indie label

I won't pummel you this time...I've got too much shit to do tonight.

------------------
"When you've seen beyond yourself then you may see peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you"

Peace George

Thermopylae

Yr beatles/michael Jackson analogy had me on the floor laughing. Well said!! Thank you all for your support.
smile.gif

It's respect for other people that counts. Not only from us to George but also from George to U2 (us?). I think everyone deserves to have his own opinion but the way he had to distribute his is a bit dubious.
And for all the people who said this was 4 years ago: I didn't know that, I just read it in yesterdays paper and I was surprised to read something like this. Seems to me I'm not the only one.

Originally posted by barlowdog:
In my humble opinion, the Beatles are overrated and overmarketed and, if not for George Martin, would have been nothing more than the Dave Clark Five or Herman's Hermits.

Come on man! What the hell kind of lame ass comment is that? You're trying to tell me that Herman's Hermits could have written "A Day In The Life", "Yesterday" or "Norwegian Wood"?

One thing is to not agree with Harrison because of his comments, but don't diss the beatles' music. Even Bono himself realizes this when he said they are beatles fans even if Harrison isn't.

I love U2, I dream U2, I imagine U2, I base my life On U2. But that doesn't mean i'm gonna make silly comments like that because a musician put down my favorite group.

Come on! Dave Clark Five(I never even heard of them) could have written "Something"?????

This thread has bad timing. He just died. At least we all could wait a month or two to talk shit about him.

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono

What the hell!? Why is it when I posted this exact thread, the moderators censored me, but when Gloria does it, it's just fine!?

Originally posted by garibaldo:
What the hell!? Why is it when I posted this exact thread, the moderators censored me, but when Gloria does it, it's just fine!?

Because you didn't start a new thread about the issue the way Gloria did. You responded in the memorial thread and that was innapropriate and disrespectful to George and the people who were trying to pay respect to him. If you had chosen to voice your opinions in a seperate thread your posts would not have been deleted. As you can see, there are alot of interferencers who share your point of view on this matter but they were at least respectful enough to keep it out of the memorial thread.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Back
Top Bottom