Fuck It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joerags said:
I am so sick and tired of people bashing U2. What the fuck? Name me another band that has been around for 25 years and still can make an album that hits No. 1 in 30 fucking countries.

I used to be a closest U2 fan, because people might think I am a weirdo for liking their music. They are not considered hip or pop enough for most people. Well fuck you. I used to be afraid to wear U2 t-shirts. Well, guess what? I am going to wear them like hell now, and I don't give a shit what people think. They have been my idols since 1985 when I was 12 years old. And I am so grateful that they have been around for this long for me. I don't know what I would do without them.

God Damn it, I needed to get this off my chest. They are the greatest band in the last 25 years. Their music is amazing.

Damn... you and boystupidboy took the words right out of my mouth!!! Thanks!!!!

goat

}:)~

I really hate how it has become "cool' or fashionable to hate U2.

They deserve more respect than that. They have influenced thousands of bands and people. They have consistantly put out quality for 25 years.

Like someone else said...you don't have to like the music but they do deserve respect.

What band has accomplished more than them? And I don't mean just commercially...I mean artistically. I can't think of any.

actually, i know a lot of people that are into music and the ones whose opinions I respect usually like them or respect their music. Like others said, its the ones who listen to hip hop and top 40 shit that are the ones who think its "unhip" to like them. So that says a lot.

Just wanted to say "great thread" again :up:

boystupidboy said:
So FUCK all the moaners and their constant bitching

Now we have a thread complaining about people who complain? Ever thought of taking some of your own advice? :hmm:

:wink:

Last edited:
Tyagu_Anaykus said:
Fuck the complains about the complaining of the constant complaining.

Avé U2.

Are you complaining about my complaining about people who complain about complainers? :angry:

It just pisses me off big style when people are constantly having a pop at u2.Sure Bono is a pain in the ass when he's tryin to save the world.Sure when they trot out Bullet the blue sky on every tour(when they could play something new)it can be a bit cringemaking.Sure i wish Bono would take off those stupidass shades.Sure i wish they would play Coventry(rather than Birmingham,no chance there)
Hell i've been listening to the group for all of my adult life and god they have made some shit stuff:ohmy: but,i love the vast majority of their music.From Boy to HTDAAB i could pretty much pick 3 CLASSICS off every album.How many other artists can boast that?
All i'm trying to say is enjoy the group,enjoy the new music they are STILL making and enjoy the upcoming tour because i really don't know how much longer this ride will go on for,and i for one have enjoyed everyminute(well almost) of it.
Rant 2 over...............................................thanks again:

boystupidboy said:
Sure Bono is a pain in the ass when he's tryin to save the world...

He can be a bit trying, especially when he yaps on... but so what? At least he cares enough to keep banging on about The World's Problems (TM). Unlike others, who merely whinge about the state we're in and then attempt to do sweet fuck all about it. The more people out there like Bono, the better, as far as I'm concerned. Although he is irreplacable.

I really do not understand how people can dislike Bono. He does talk crap every now and then, but he's such a good man, and very talented. Okay, so he comes across as trying to be The Big I AM at times, but everyone has a front they put up to protect themselves, so why should he be any different? There's also the minor detail that, if the people who slate Bono had been at the top for 25 years and still managed to score a new number 1 album in over 30 countries, they would be fucking pleased with themselves too.

Sure i wish Bono would take off those stupidass shades.

Now, THAT I won't argue with. But, as he's Bono, he's allowed.

Hell i've been listening to the group for all of my adult life and god they have made some shit stuff:ohmy: but,i love the vast majority of their music.From Boy to HTDAAB i could pretty much pick 3 CLASSICS off every album.How many other artists can boast that?
All i'm trying to say is enjoy the group,enjoy the new music they are STILL making and enjoy the upcoming tour because i really don't know how much longer this ride will go on for,and i for one have enjoyed everyminute(well almost) of it.
Rant 2 over...............................................thanks again:

Damn right.

Last edited:
Couldnt have said it better myself and I have always told people I like U2 whether they want to hear it or not...amazing how some people look at you with a surprised look when you say you like U2 but I will continue to do it and I will continue to buy their records as long as they are around and continue to make them #1 in 30 countries which they deserve to be there isnt another band I am happy to spend as much money as I do on because they blow away anything else out there....you know damn well every other band that is playing right now would love to have U2s back catalogue and conviction and of course the hardcore fanbase that includes us.

Older Rockers: Stop the music!

Philadelphia Inquirer, January 10, 2005

David Hiltbrand

Congratulations to U2 on its imminent induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Fair play! The Irish rockers deserve the honor.

I hope it'll keep them out of the recording studio.

It's heresy to say it, but U2 hasn't put out a decent album since "Achtung Baby" in 1991.

Sure, the band's latest, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," is riding high on the charts. But a more accurate title would be" How to Build a Stink Bomb."

The CD's only listenable track, "Vertigo," isn't even the best iPod commercial jingle ever. Other songs, such as "A Man and a Woman," "Crumbs From Your Table," and "Original of the Species," are maladroit and pretentious twaddle.

So why was "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" on so many critics' best-of-the-year lists?

Simple. U2's traditional, guitar-driven, 4/4 style reminds critics of the sounds they loved when they were younger, when writing about music was a passion and not a job.

I'll let you in on a little secret: Under their cynical crusts, music critics are a remarkably nostalgic breed.

Over and over, you'll find them fulsomely praising the newest release from faded heroes such as R.E.M., Bob Dylan, Elton John, Prince or Elvis Costello.

Their loyalty is touching but woefully misplaced - and a disservice to consumers. Because, swayed by their enthusiasm, we go out and plunk down some serious coinage for yet another stale and dreary disappointment.

The fact is, R.E.M. has been going steadily downhill since "Automatic for the People" (1992); Bob Dylan lost his way after "Empire Burlesque" (1985); Elton John has been decomposing since "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" (1975); Prince peaked with "Sign `o' the Times" (1987); and Elvis Costello should have packed it in after "King of America" (1986).

Look, rock is a young man's game. The music burns brightly but consumes its acolytes far faster. Theoretically at least, Kenny G could put out albums forever, each as good as the last, but ZZ Top has been running on fumes since "Eliminator" in 1983.

Maybe the solution is to put rockers on a strict quota system, like term limits for politicians. Five albums and you're out. Or until your first "Greatest Hits" package. Whichever comes first.

By capping their output, we'd still get their most energetic and creative work, but it would eliminate those messy and mediocre late-era releases.

And no more comeback CDs. Ever. One of 2004's saddest spectacles was the raft of musicians - Tears for Fears, George Michael, Richard Marx, Lionel Richie and others - trying desperately to scramble back onto the charts.

The Rolling Stones are one of the few rock bands that have managed to age gracefully (if indeed one can apply that phrase to Keith Richards). They have accomplished this by pouring most of their energy into their tours and recording only sporadically. (The last great Stones album, btw: 1972's "Exile on Main St.")

There's no escaping the fact that rock musicians have a limited creative phase. It's both pointless and unseemly to attempt to extend it.

Hey, Good Charlotte. I know you guys still probably get carded when you go into a bar. But have you considered retirement?

© Philadelphia Inquirer, 2005.

My comment to you David Hiltbrand is you better get some hearing aids...what a disgraceful article.

And to continue on with the topic of this thread Fuck You David go listen to whatever you listen to and stick a sock in it!

Rolling stones growing old gracefully....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
and once more haha:mad:

boystupidboy, your rant, although still the best compared to the rants out there, could've been much better. It needed to rock out more, take more chances, use more experimentation (maybe use Radiohead ranters as an inspiration), while still sounding like yourself.

boystupidboy said:
I'm in a really agressive mood so i'm gonna tell it like it is.
U2 have been with us for over 25 years now and they are still knocking out fantastic music.People are talking that HTDAAB is there best album yet,this shows how good the lads really are :drool:
How many artists in the entire history of music have had such longevity AND wrote such beautiful music as u2?So FUCK all the moaners and their constant bitching .....u2 are the daddies :mad:
RANT OVER......................................................and thankyou:madspit:

Let´s be honest my friend. If I had wrote something in the same way against HTDAAB, I´d have dozens of fans telling me I´m a looser, I´m a freak, I´m a bullshit, I don´t know anything about music, etc, etc :sad:

But given this is a pro-HTDAAB post, all fans think this explicit one is great:(

Don´t act like that guys, please :tsk:

Judah said:
boystupidboy, your rant, although still the best compared to the rants out there, could've been much better. It needed to rock out more, take more chances, use more experimentation (maybe use Radiohead ranters as an inspiration), while still sounding like yourself.
:wink:

I Totally agree!!! U2 is such an awesome band and all the other bands out there have such meaningless lyrics but U2 is always keeping you at the edge when it comes to songwriting!I mean everybody can say that at least one U2 song has touched them in one way or another! Thanks for the POST !!! U2 Rocks!!!

Yeah, undoubtedly U2's still got it. Even if I don't think of HDTAAB as their greatest piece of work ever - or even near it (personally I think their 90s production was definitely their best) it was enough to make it one of the strongest releases in 2004 and that should be more than enough to shut up the naysayers.

I get the point this Hiltbrand guy (Philadelphia Inquirer - was it?) is trying to make about critics not having the heart (or guts I'd say) to pounce on well established and respected artists, though I'd be interested to find out who this guy considers is making good music today i.e. what young artist (since "rock is young man's game") is making music which can hope to measure up to anything U2 and other great bands have released in the past.

Niceman said:
Don't tell anyone, but U2 has surpassed the Beatles at this point!

Nah mate, even Bono would wince at that.

boystupidboy I really appreciate your post. I've felt the same way so many times over the years. But I'm older now and quite secure in my beliefs that 1) U2 is an outstanding rock and roll band and 2) That their new album is simply excellent. And I've been listening since 1983 at age 16.

In the last few months I've heard some criticism and it doesn't even faze me. I either defeat the critic with cold, hard facts or I just ignore the critic and chalk them up as ignorant. No sweat off my back, as I'm still getting the same sensation I've always gotten from U2's music: euphoria!

Are they perfect? No. But art, or anything else manmade, is NEVER perfect. I love the human flaws of U2, it makes them all the more endearing.

Thanks for the inspiration boystupidboy.

The only thing I hate more than a sportswriter spewing forth his unwanted comments about a certain athlete or team is a music critic. In fact, I find music critics to be the single most useless job on the planet. If I ran a newspaper, I'd fire them. Movie critics, at least, provide a brief summary of a movie. But it is impossible to provide any summary of music. Music is too visceral, too subjective, too personal for any critic.

So as far as I'm concerned, if U2 should've retired in 1991, that music critic should've been flipping burgers since 1982.

If U2 released How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb before PoP, it would be loved all around the world and be considered at least an equal to JT and AB and would warrant a mention alongside other classic albums such as Sgt Pepper's, Revolver, Dark Side of the Moon and Forever Changes

I have a confession to make.When i did the initial "FUCK IT" post i was slightly under the influence of alcohol,Kronenberg 1664 to be precise:drool:
Alcohol does'nt make me agressive in the slightest but it does tend to make me play my music rather loud,so when i put on HTDAAB i felt ,well how can i put it,confused.I mean,how could anyone Not love this album.........ITS FUCKIN' ACE......especially after a few beers :wink:Right thats it i'm gonna tell the world how superb these songs are and bollocks to anyone else...and off i trotted to my PC.
So there you have it.The reason behind my(partially drunken) rant.:ohmy:

I think that was painfully obvious to everyone, boystupidboy. :wink:

However, it doesn't change my view of music critics. Good review or bad, I hate them. There's this cliche about how those who can't do teach - I think that's utter crap. There are many teachers who CAN do and CHOOSE to teach. However, when it comes to music, this cliche is most apropos. It seems if you can't be a musician - or at least a famous one - then you become a critic and rant enviously about bands that became succesful.

Back
Top Bottom