Drop which songs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
songs that should be dropped:-
bullet defo
sunday yes
pride in rotation
elevation in rotation
New Years Day in rotation

songs that should be brought back:-
God Part II
Walk On full band
In A Little While

thats all i can think of this morning im too tired :(

I would vote for Elevation to never be played again. In my opinion, it is the one U2 song that is just - for lack of a better term - "whack." No. It's "WHACK!"

I thought it was an awful opener on the Elevation tour and while it was a bit better as a non-opener on Vertigo - and live it is faaar better than the studio version. But jeez, that song sucks. I think its as stale by now as Pride is and its much younger.

And I agree that Sunday Bloody Sunday has outlived its prime, so that should be put into rotation. Bring back Please (with the SBS drums during the bridge to satiate those who are missing SBS), and definitely retool BTBS or rotate that too.

Other songs I think should be dropped:
Vertigo (I mean... I guess play it here and there, but... y'know)
Mysterious Ways
ISHFWILF

Brought back:
Please/MOFO/Pop/Etc.
Love Is Blindness
FIRE!

Also, I hope they stop naming their tours after a song on the most recent album, and consequently opening with that song.
:mad:

Pride - this song should die.
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Elevation
Beautiful Day

I think as U2 continues to make more new albums, we'll start seeing some of the older songs dropped in favor of new songs.

That being said, bring back A Sort of Homecoming!

Get rid of (Replace with)

Elevation (Discotheque/Good version of Saints are Coming)
Bullet the Blue Sky (Love and Peace/Please/Peace on Earth)
ISHFWILF (Window in the Skies)
Pride (OOTS)
One (Stay)

LemonMelon said:

Also, I think Beautiful Day is being unnoticed as a permanent fixture in the set by many folks here. Since 2000, has U2 played a formal arena/stadium gig without playing Beautiful Day? It really is U2's newest Bad/Pride/I Will Follow, and I'm happy about that...it truly is amazing and, yes, elevating to hear live. It remains to be seen whether Vertigo will receive similar recognition from the band, but I'm predicting it ends of becoming more of a Discotheque than a Beautiful Day.

I love Beautiful Day and I'm down with it being played every show :up:

I think Vertigo will continue to be played as well. It was such a big hit; there is a generation of people who associate U2 with that song first and foremost, for better or for worse. It rocks live, it gets everyone jumping, and U2 obviously loves it... personally I hope they don't drop Vertigo either.

Axver said:
In order of how urgently they need to be dumped:

=1. One
=1. Pride
3. With Or Without You
4. Bullet The Blue Sky
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday

Agreed expect for 3. What's wrong with WOWY? It was only a semi regular on this tour, but I hope to never have to endure An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart Again either.

Songs I'd like to see become the new regulars:

Please
COBL
All I Want Is You
WGRYWH

One and Pride NEED to be dropped. Either that or seriously re-envisioned and rotated in the setlist.

I want them to keep Bullet. One of my favorite songs. And they've been able to re-envision Bullet for every tour since its inception. I don't find Bullet to be tired yet.

Sunday Bloody Sunday could probably stay. It's a live favorite among many people.

Beautiful Day is amazing. It stays.

Pride
ISHFWILF
BTBS
One

GET IT OFF!!

Now get back some Achtung Baby, Zooropa and POP songs!!

Please
Last night on earth
Gone
Discotheque
Stay
Dirty Day
Love is Blindness

All of them so much better then that old songs again...

coolian2 said:

It only bothers the bootleg collectors and setlist nerds.

Other than that, who else uses this forum? :wink:

Agreed though, they will never drop "the hits" completely from the set list because the majority of the people attending their concerts are usually first time U2 concert goers and casual fans who want to hear the hits.

Of course it sucks to us weirdos who have to collect all their bootlegs and are "forced" to repeatedly hear the same songs over and over again...

Why don't they just play the entire Passengers Album followed by every rare track on all their albums? Because no one would go to concerts other than us (which would be nice) but that's not good for anybody in the long run.

I wish there was a way to gather statistical information on who attends U2 shows. it'd be interesting to know how much of a given audience are really first time concert goers, or whether they're casual fans or hardcore xtreme fans. U2 tickets sell out so fast, you have to wonder how non-diehards are able to get tickets :huh:

I don't any classics should be dropped for a whole tour. They would work much better in rotation. Except for Streets. That is a must-have staple for every concert. Here are songs that I think should be rotated with each other that work well in rotation with each other.

-I Will Follow/Out of Control/Gloria (all high-powered songs from the early days)
-New Year's Day/Pride/Beautiful Day (anthems)
-Bad/All I Want is You/City of Blinding Lights
-Sunday Bloody Sunday/Bullet the Blue Sky/Love and Peace or Else (political songs)
-With or Without You/ISHFWILF/Sometimes/Stay/Stuck in a Moment
-Desire/Angel of Harlem/When Love Comes To Town/Staring at the Sun (fun, light-hearted songs that can be played full band or acoustic if they manage to ever get a grip on SATS)
-The Fly/Until the End of the World/God Part 2/Last Night on Earth (High-powered, darker rockers)
-Mysterious Ways/Discotheque/Mofo/Lemon (Lighter, dance-based songs)
-One/Please/Walk On/Window in the Skies (Can all somehow be connected to Africa)
-Elevation/The Saints Are Coming/Gone/11 O'Clock Tick Tock (Pretty well-known rockers but not instant classics to everyone)

That amount of combinations would give U2 plenty of setlist variety. I don't think I missed any of the big hits. I purposefully left out Vertigo because I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a staple next tour. It was the biggest hit from HTDAAB. Feedback, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated.

coolian2 said:

It only bothers the bootleg collectors and setlist nerds.

I don't agree with that. If I were a casual fan who just went to see U2 when they came through my city each tour and had seen them once every tour since ZooTV or Popmart, by now I'd be starting to get the shits that every time I see them, they play a stack of songs I've heard before. U2 setlists since ZooTV have almost devolved into new songs + same old hits as the previous tours.

I'm sure the casual fans would be quite content if they got HMTMKMKM, AIWIY, and NYD without WOWY, Pride, and One.

corianderstem said:

Please tell me that means something different down under than it does here.

"That gives me the shits" = "that pisses me off".

Hee!

In the States, "the shits" = "diarrhea".

Which, you know, could still piss someone off. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Hee!

In the States, "the shits" = "diarrhea".

Which, you know, could still piss someone off. :wink:

I suspect that would be the origin of the phrase. :wink:

Though I better know diarrhoea as "the runs".

Back
Top Bottom