can't we all just get along? (regarding N'sync dissing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by ODB:
"Opposition to the hostile atmosphere"- doesn't that mean fighting against those who diss the boy bands?
If you so oppose the hostile atmosphere, stop posting! If you stop it will all stop. This is your battle.

yep, it means fighting against those who diss boybands. but it is done in a civil way, nothing offensive-just a discussion.

well there's active opposition (writing in this case) and there's passive opposition (doing nothing, but still having an opinion).

this "i hate N'sync" thing will NOT stop if this thread stops. surely you weren't serious about that?

my battle? what battle?!? we're just exchanging views and opinions.

------------------
"touch me, take me to that other place,
teach me, love, i know i'm not a hopeless case" - Beautiful day

"be uncool, yes be awkward" - Always

"and you can find your own way out"-Acrobat

i agree sg, shes like my younger bro who argues with anything just to be different.

were talking about nsync, u2girl, cause we want them abolished from the face of the earth. if they ever breed, i will be forced to cut their kids in half. no jokes.

------------------
-deathbear

OMG! that picture is hilarious!

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Yknow what. Every single person on this forum could agree on something and U2girl would still argue it.

twitch.gif

?!?

the more there are opinions, the better the discussion can get.

------------------

FINE!!! u2grraawl ive always suspected you to be someone else and now you just proved it, you are here simply to take the piss.

take the money run!!!! take the money runn!! take the money!!!!!!!!!

if your so horny over nsync then go away, and find out how wonderful boy bands are first hand at one of their numerous websites.

enough already about fighting the good fight, you lost, noone agrees with you, and even if they did, theyd then be wrong, cause i am right about this, as is everyone with any sort of ear for music.

nad when you say your a radiohead fan... please tell me you don tlike them just causa creep right?

------------------
-deathbear

Originally posted by anitram:
Because it just so happens that last night U2 and Nsync were up for the same award and U2 lost. Therefore, people are expressing their dismay/surprise/disgust.

mad.gif
no kidding! don't you think i KNOW that?
so what if U2 didn't win? honestly, they don't stand a chance. not at MTV's audience. and not the way things are in music industry.

the only award i care about (if U2 wins it) is the Grammy. that's the only reference in my book.

------------------

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 09-07-2001).]

Originally posted by U2girl:
the only award i care about (if U2 wins it) is the Grammy. that's the only reference in my book.

Fine. But other people have the right to be dismayed or have other "references" as you put it.

Originally posted by U2girl:
i'm just saying there's enough room for everyone out there, be it rock/pop/R&B/hip hop/metal/alternative/soul/etc etc etc...

There certainly is!

Don't think for a moment that N*Stink doesn't have their own room... there are plenty of websites for a gush or two over Justin and family.

This, on the other hand, is our room... We're gonna stretch our legs!!
tongue.gif

------------------
"If I am close to the music, and you are close to the music, we are close to each other." -Bono

Originally posted by Hent the Power Bear:
FINE!!! u2grraawl ive always suspected you to be someone else and now you just proved it, you are here simply to take the piss.

if your so horny over nsync then go away, and find out how wonderful boy bands are first hand at one of their numerous websites.

nad when you say your a radiohead fan... please tell me you don tlike them just causa creep right?

it's funny how you insist on making it personal.
it's even funnier how you accuse me of being someone else (huh?!?), since you use multiple usernames...

i am WHAT over WHO?!? your imagination going wild there, my friend.

i'm a radiohead fan? well i'm becoming one, yes.
so what? it's possible to like different genres of music. (see my initial post)
and no, i don't like them just because of creep. (though that is the very first Radiohead song i heard)
i never like a band just because of one song (i doubt anyone does that)

------------------

alright my heroine has worn off and now im not excited anymore....

sorry to all those bunnies i may have offended by driving over their tree houses.

[This message has been edited by Hent the Power Bear (edited 09-07-2001).]

Sleepy jack the fire-drill
round and round and round and round and round.............

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
There certainly is!

Don't think for a moment that N*Stink doesn't have their own room... there are plenty of websites for a gush or two over Justin and family.

This, on the other hand, is our room... We're gonna stretch our legs!!
tongue.gif

maybe i wasn't totally getting through to everyone with this one-
what i meant to say is that there is no point in saying "N'sync sucks", just as there is no point in saying "U2 sucks".
the point is people have different tastes of music. so you can have preferences, but you can't say your choices are automatically better than other people's. (time will tell)

you just like different music. music is not about "good" or "bad", it's just a "yes" or "no" in liking it.

ps:i'm going to sleep now. talk to you tomorrow!

------------------

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 09-07-2001).]

Originally posted by Deathbear's Fly Girl:
do_bears2.jpg

Just imagine N'Suck is in the toilet.

THAT is fuckin' funny.

U2girl...for God's sake don't read the bloody N'Sick-dissing threads if they're gonna upset you.

U2 = brilliance
N'Suck = shit

it an opinon, its simple but it works for me
biggrin.gif

Get over it!!!!!!!!

OMG! ROTFL@this topic!!

I can't believe we are having this discussion!!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

mblah.gif
NYSYNC SUCKS!!!!!!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I'll throw my 2 cents worth into this debate.

I'll preface this by saying I'm 27 now.

Back when I was in junior high up until the time I graduated from HS, the whole music scene was dominated by "glam" bands like Warrant, Slaughter, Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella, Britny Fox. I'll refer to these bands as marshmellow bands. All fluff, no substance, but at LEAST I will give them this much: they at least started in clubs and worked their way up, and they played their own instruments. The band that caught my attention was U2. Why? Because I sensed there was something more to them than just the "traditional" rock scene. Here was a band with intelligence, talent, and their music really spoke intimately to a lot of people. Sorry for the digression...back to my main point, sort of.

Along comes Nirvana in 1991 and paves the way for the whole alternative music scene along with Achtung Baby by U2. I'll say here, looking back that was probably my favorite time in all of recent music history. That's why I'm digging back into the artists from the era 1991-1996, picking up CD's by Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc. I didn't pay that much attention to them then, but it was something I could at least tolerate, back when MTV actually PLAYED videos.

I have fond memories of being in college and staying up until the wee hours of the morning just watching that station, and I could actually tolerate listening to almost any station. Why? Because looking back now, it was actually halfway decent, with bands who DID play their own instruments, and it was groups who to me, weren't marshmellow bands.

For example: Collective Soul, Pearl Jam, the two bands I mentioned earlier, Counting Crows, Smashing Pumpkins.

I know the backlash will come eventually, but I'm getting sick of all this marketed music dominating the airwaves. Exceptions are few and far between. Like them, hate them or, indifferent, the groups that I think show the most promise in that area are Lifehouse and 3 Doors Down. I've been a little disappointed with the recent releases by REM and Radiohead, but at least I have respect for what they've done, because they've earned their place the old fashioned way like U2 did, by first playing in clubs, on college campuses, or whatever, and built up their audience by blood, sweat, and tears.

So from that perspective, I think that the bashing of Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Agulara is justified.

------------------
"Yeah, we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night. One heart, one hope, one love."

[This message has been edited by SIK (edited 09-07-2001).]

I believe many here need to simply calm down and don't take things too personally. Keep the discussion civil, and the discussion can also remain substantive.

Now, my opinion, which I believe reaches the core of the argument:

Earlier in this thread, U2girl put forth the following belief:

you just like different music. music is not about "good" or "bad", it's just a "yes" or "no" in liking it.

I do not intend to come across as personally attacking you, U2girl, but -- as an objectivist, one who believes in objective truth -- I could not disagree more.

I believe that in all arts -- music, film, painting, literature, architecture -- there are objective differences of quality; some works and their artists are simply better than others. One's preferences may not align with the differences of quality, but the differences do exist.

An extreme case proves my point: imagine you have an average five-year-old child and the child writes a story about his day at the park. Compare the story to Shakespeare's Hamlet. Because of personal reasons, you may love your child's story; and you may have personally never gotten "into" Shakespeare. But even then, I believe NO ONE will HONESTLY suggest that the stories are comparable in quality, or that there is no meaning in suggesting that Shakespeare is an objectively better writer.

Shakespeare's works ARE BETTER than the works of an average five-year-old -- hell, probably better than the works of the most gifted child prodigy.

(Of course, it can be hard to tell who's better, since our vision can be blurred by our own experiences and preferences: it may be hard to see that U2 is better than R.E.M., but I do believe that one is ultimately better than the other; and if it's hard to tell between two champagnes, it's easy to distinguish champagne and malt liquor.)

Preferences do exist, but they do not exactly align with what is good.

* I like some very good music, music that is generally considered of legitimately high quality: I'm a fan of U2, Chopin, and The Temptations.

* There is also some very good music that I don't really like: To be completely honest, I've never been a huge fan of the Beatles.

* There is some (generally accepted) bad music that I cannot stomach, N*Sync, for one.

* But there is also some music that is generally considered bad that I enjoy: I hate to admit it, but I liked "The Thong Song" and some of the Spice Girls' music.

So, what are we to do?

I believe we should allow people to have their own preferences, but we are also free to debate what is and isn't good -- and to mock that music that we find bad.

I believe that music is either good or bad.

Given that, N*Sync is really, really bad.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Hmmmm. Well obviously N'SYNC suck. I take music as I hear it and their songs are crap. They can't write, they're not musicians and they sing about mindless shite. BUT to say that they don't have any talent is stupid coz they can sing. I mean listen to them acapella. Most of these groups can sing brilliantly but it's how they sing and what they sing that's so lame. Does that make any sense?
Secondly, I suppose you can bring their character into question, certainly in professional terms. I mean integrity, dignity, and honesty are part of someone's character, and these are all things that N'SYNC seem not to have. But to make fun of their looks or who they happen to be dating is PATHETIC and very un-U2.

My two cents:

N'Sync will be gone by the time U2's new album comes out.

The Pop music fallout has already begun. Ticket sales aren't up there anymore, and the music industry seems to be getting more and more crowded by hot bodies and young faces. N'Sync will be gone - but there will always be another boy band. There will always be another Britney Spears (how many are there now ? christina, jessica simpson, mandy moore, dream, etc.?).

This so called "Popular" music is nothing but industrialized notes, contracts, and ads for shampoo. It use to be that you had to be some how original, outstanding, or interesting to get a music deal. Now, all you need is a pretty face. I am afraid that there will never be another U2, there will never be another REM, no more Depeche Mode. All the "titanium soul" in music will be lost when they're gone. Who's gonna take their place ? Dave Matthews ? Creed (ha!) ? Coldplay (perhaps) ? Radiohead (I think not) ?

Hold on to this music guys and girls. Once U2 goes down, the rest of it goes down with them. Though their music will live on - the joy of hearing the new single, seeing the new video, and seeing them in concert will come to a hault at sometime. I love U2, and I always will. This Pop music that some of you defend is nothing but fluff. No soul, no heart, no feeling. All dance, romance, and trance ... damn drug music.

oh yes - N'Sync sucks.

~Zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

" The greatest lesson you'll ever learn - is to love, and be loved in return" - David Bowie

My 2 cents:

It is incredibly enjoyable to make fun of NSync, because they are talentless jerks! There aren't many people here who like NSync to worry about offending or who wouldn't be very used to the slagging, so it isn't really hurting anyone.. instead it is spreading joy and glee as each new satiric, scathing, downright witty and amusing remark demeanin NSync is thought up and posted.
wink.gif

Ok but what's with calling people "jerks" I mean you don't even know the guys so how can you say that. They could be very nice. Slag of band's music, not the band member's themselves.

What's with comin in here with 8 posts and bein all bossy and argumentative.

wink.gif

I remember that many of you started to cry when U2 got slashed on other boards.

U2girl, Keep on the good work. we are not a
sect.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Back
Top Bottom