Boston DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pero

Refugee
His Godness THE EDGE got crazy on it.

At the end of Gone he threw his guitar on the floor and then kicked it

WHY??

There are a few explainations floating around out there. One says he was unhappy with the guitar that night. Another says he was upset with the arrangment of the song.

Another says that before 'Gone', Bono spoke to the audience and said something mocking or defaming about Pop/Popmart and that Edge was upset about that.

namkcuR said:
Another says that before 'Gone', Bono spoke to the audience and said something mocking or defaming about Pop/Popmart and that Edge was upset about that.

I've never heard that one. Any idea what was said?

There has to be an archived thread about this somewhere. I think we devoted about 3 weeks of our lives to its dissection.

Most of those that were there reported one of two possible causes:

1. Larry messing up
2. Dallas messing up

I think the real story was that Edge dropped his pick during or before the solo, so he glanced at Larry trying to give him a look to cut the solo short, but instead Larry thought he wanted it to go longer, so it really hurt his fingers and he was pissed off.

This was on U2faqs.com... It has alot of interesting things on here.. :)

Why is the Edge slamming his guitar to the ground at the end of "Gone" during the June 2001, Elevation Boston DVD?

During a web chat The Edge answered this question from a fan by saying "Because we murdered the song."

That night in Boston it was evident that The Edge was having trouble with his guitar. From the perspective of being in the crowd in the heart it appeared that The Edge was unhappy with Larry ending the song earlier than The Edge had planned. After the incident with the guitar The Edge could be seen having words with Larry over at the drum kit. [M2, AS]

The footage of Gone was a mix from night 1 and night 2. Night 1 was when Edge screwed up and slammed his guitar. But the audio of the DVD was from night 2, so I guess we will never know exactly why unless someone has the bootleg of the 1st show performance.

Cheers,

J

This is one of the reasons I don't love the Boston DVD as much as I love the Slane DVD, even though I was at the main Boston concert - June 6th. If you watch it - Edge's guitar changes color through out.

When I watch it, I think of "Desire" from December 31, 1989. Bono sings - "a red guitar, sometimes vanilla..." :)

In relation to Bono's R&R hall of fame kodak moment with the Edge - the scene makes sense no matter what was bugging Edge at the time. :wink:

"Now you look at this guitar genius, you look at this Zen-like master that is the Edge, and you hear those brittle icy notes and you might be forgiven for forgetting that you cannot play like that unless you have a rage inside you."

Yeah, that comment was really powerful and made perfect sense.

Edge kicks his guitar so that would hint to the "murdered the song" argument.
On the DVD, you can also see him walk into Larry's drumkit direction right after he does it, so it could be that Larry played longer than Edge wanted to.

I haven't heard the boot personally, but I have seen a post here which reckoned bono said something along the lines of.

"This is 'Gone', but most of you wouldn't have heard it before.."

In reference to the poor attendances during the first leg of popmart.

Although I have to admit, I can't see Edge getting too pissed off about that.

He's more likely to get pissed off about their performance, but I reckon the Boston performance of Gone was great.

Palace_Hero said:
Watch the 'making of Elevation', you see a shot of The Edge after gone verbally attacking Larry, and pointing at him aggressively.

Lawrence just sort of recoiled in shock..

Can anybody lipread?

Back
Top Bottom