Bonos voice change story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard Miss Sarajevo live for the first time in the 3rd leg of the tour and it was a moment at their shows I will never forget. I was in awe and just fell back in my seat with tears in my eyes. I think he sings One with more passion and heart than ever before. The first time I heard SYCMIOYO and he hit that operetic part especially in the video it could have brought me to my knees.
His voice is still amazing and after all he does to it hes blessed he even still has one.:drool:

Re: Re: Bonos voice change story

Axver said:

What on earth are you talking about? :eyebrow:

Have you heard the 1989-12-26 Dublin concert? 'Hoarse' and 'hard to hit notes' are certainly not two qualities I'd associate with his vocals then, as I think he's never sounded better. His voice is booming, powerful, and the range he shows on Streets and One Tree Hill is excellent.

Sure, he was weak on some concerts, i.e. 1989-12-18 Amsterdam, and a few when he was ill in Australia, but when he was healthy, I think his Lovetown voice was beyond compare.

I just listen rigth now very carefull to the 1989-12-26 show and there is a like all the other LT shows, he is much weaker then JT, on many notes he just hold them half, just listen to ISHFWILF and WOWY on 26th show and oter LT shows, he had such a more wide, deeper and powerful voice in on the JT tour.

KUEFC09U2 said:
personally i thought bono hit that high note pretty well in sao paulo :shrugs: and he is holding the note in sometimes for a longer period than he did during 1st and 2nd legs, and i also find him to be singing WTSHNN just as good as any other leg

as said its all just my opinion

Just compare how he sings Cobl(live video version and Chicago DVD) with the 4th leg. You can hear how his basic voice is much weaker.

Still Wow

Does it really matter? Geez, to still be able to see and hear these guys after all these years.... He wasn't going to stay 20 or 27 or 29 or 32 and 33 forever as the eras we are all discussing. He was 45 for most of the tour and now 46 and the man still puts on a show that I don't think anyone could ever repeat. Smoking has not been good for him but as others have said it was HOW he sang until ZOO TV that has caused some decline in his voice. BTW all the comments about falsetto, Bono very rarely used falsetto until AB, he used a huge open throat voice until AB, only songs off the top of my head prior WOWY, MOTD, close on the 1st verse of Exit but not quite and Heartland. If you want to further hear falsetto listen to the Bee Gees on the SNF sountrack, Smokey Robinson and almost any Coldplay song, Bono certainly didn't start sounding like this until AB.

Peterrrrr said:

? So will hsi voice contunie to devolope to a stronger one or stay as it are now or get weaker?

I think his voice is about where it's going to be from here on out.

I'd think he's figured out how to treat his voice and expect more of the same. He's lost about all he's going to lose, the rest is just maintaining what's left and he's done a pretty good job of that.

Comparing arbitrary dates on a tour isn't going to tell you anything about the status of his true voice. He could have a 'cold' one night and be in pristine condition on another, there are so many variables the best place to look is at the studio work. He's lost some upper and lower and that is to be expected, taking in all the obvious.

How much more could he lose? I don't think much. He's taking good care of it and he's pretty much been where he is for a long while. How much better can it get? Well, you've probably heard the best it's going to be on this last tour and that was still pretty damn good. He just can't do what he used to and some people need to get over it. I think he's reached a pretty comfortable median, but expect good and bad days, like anything else.

Re: Re: Bonos voice change story

U2DMfan said:

I think his voice is about where it's going to be from here on out.

I'd think he's figured out how to treat his voice and expect more of the same. He's lost about all he's going to lose, the rest is just maintaining what's left and he's done a pretty good job of that.

Comparing arbitrary dates on a tour isn't going to tell you anything about the status of his true voice. He could have a 'cold' one night and be in pristine condition on another, there are so many variables the best place to look is at the studio work. He's lost some upper and lower and that is to be expected, taking in all the obvious.

How much more could he lose? I don't think much. He's taking good care of it and he's pretty much been where he is for a long while. How much better can it get? Well, you've probably heard the best it's going to be on this last tour and that was still pretty damn good. He just can't do what he used to and some people need to get over it. I think he's reached a pretty comfortable median, but expect good and bad days, like anything else.

He can get better, if he stop smoking I think he will get the voice more clear. And that means that he will reach higher notes.

Re: Re: Re: Bonos voice change story

Peterrrrr said:

He can get better, if he stop smoking I think he will get the voice more clear. And that means that he will reach higher notes.

On a night to night, day to day basis, but not his actual range.

His higest range possible is what he offered up in the last two years. Well, here is the easiest way I can put it:

That long bridge note of Native Son is the most impressive vocal he's done in 15+years. It's two steps higher than the big "sing" in Sometimes and the 'La'More' of Miss Sarajevo.

If he quit smoking he'd still be able to hit that note, conceivably because he was smoking when they recorded it. Granted he probably didn't smoke that day or for several days and rested his voice for a good long time.

The point is, his voice is capable of that note, today. As he smokes.

Where am I going with this?
One step above that is the note from Wild Horses and Red Hill Mining Town and he hasn't been able to sing either in years and years and years.

His true voice is what it has become, smoking or not.
He can't stop smoking altogether and reverse the effects it has taken over the years. Also noting all of the other factors besides smoking.

Yes, it could help him get back to where he was on Native Son, for example, but the days of that high 'C' are gone and he knows it, so he keeps smoking.

I'm saying his voice is what it has become, and this is where it will be for the forseeable future. He can't go back to higher notes than that one. They scrapped that song partly because he couldn't sing that night after night. So we go back down to the note in Sometimes and La'Amore from Sarajevo. THIS is where his voice is, that's why he won't quit smoking. The damage has been done. He lost his ability to go back to those other notes. In fact he has to 'save up' for the two already mentioned which are pretty well lower.

I might be arguing semantics here, I'm just saying he's not adding onto his current range much by doing so (stop smoking) so he probably doesn't. That and I think he'd add 25 pounds and become a nervous wreck. He can still sing well enough.

Last edited:
Consider that he wasn't able to do Red hill mining town in 1987, live, on a night to night basis. (and he would likely have to, as they considered it for the single) If he couldn't do it then, no way is he going to do it 15+ years later.

Could he do a high C now, smoking aside? :shrug:

I really wonder what he did to get some of the range back. Vocal training? The "vocal aid" pills and mystery device from the Elevation plane black and white pic? Less smoking?

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bonos voice change story

U2DMfan said:

On a night to night, day to day basis, but not his actual range.

His higest range possible is what he offered up in the last two years. Well, here is the easiest way I can put it:

That long bridge note of Native Son is the most impressive vocal he's done in 15+years. It's two steps higher than the big "sing" in Sometimes and the 'La'More' of Miss Sarajevo.

If he quit smoking he'd still be able to hit that note, conceivably because he was smoking when they recorded it. Granted he probably didn't smoke that day or for several days and rested his voice for a good long time.

The point is, his voice is capable of that note, today. As he smokes.

Where am I going with this?
One step above that is the note from Wild Horses and Red Hill Mining Town and he hasn't been able to sing either in years and years and years.

His true voice is what it has become, smoking or not.
He can't stop smoking altogether and reverse the effects it has taken over the years. Also noting all of the other factors besides smoking.

Yes, it could help him get back to where he was on Native Son, for example, but the days of that high 'C' are gone and he knows it, so he keeps smoking.

I'm saying his voice is what it has become, and this is where it will be for the forseeable future. He can't go back to higher notes than that one. They scrapped that song partly because he couldn't sing that night after night. So we go back down to the note in Sometimes and La'Amore from Sarajevo. THIS is where his voice is, that's why he won't quit smoking. The damage has been done. He lost his ability to go back to those other notes. In fact he has to 'save up' for the two already mentioned which are pretty well lower.

I might be arguing semantics here, I'm just saying he's not adding onto his current range much by doing so (stop smoking) so he probably doesn't. That and I think he'd add 25 pounds and become a nervous wreck. He can still sing well enough.

But after Elevation tour he got a more improved voice wich is cleaner and stronger. He hit higher notes, so I see possibiluty that he can reach higher notes then he does now.

U2girl said:
Consider that he wasn't able to do Red hill mining town in 1987, live, on a night to night basis. (and he would likely have to, as they considered it for the single) If he couldn't do it then, no way is he going to do it 15+ years later.

My guess is that he just wasn't willing to struggle with it every night. If he wanted to scream his lungs out, he could always sing "Bad". :drool:

honestly bono's high range on the virtigo tour is just about identical to that when he was younger. He definitely hits the high C on several performances of BAD quite cleanly and then holds the Bb right under it for a looong time. I think he also yells out the high C on the one performance of angel of harlem from this tour and that can be found on youtube.
additionally, he's now singing where the streets have no name in the original studio key, mysterious ways on the third and fourth leg was played half a step HIGHER than on the album, and he nails the countdown in Gloria, etc etc. the big distinction is that the tone of his voice has changed over the years and i frankly think it's not as good for some songs but makes some songs sound better than ever. and it's much more interesting than having a singer who sounds exactly the same every single tour.

Sorry, didn't mean anything bad by it.

edit: see PLEBA's "Picture request" thread for a bigger version of this picture.

Last edited:
blindinglights said:
honestly bono's high range on the virtigo tour is just about identical to that when he was younger. He definitely hits the high C on several performances of BAD quite cleanly and then holds the Bb right under it for a looong time. I think he also yells out the high C on the one performance of angel of harlem from this tour and that can be found on youtube.
additionally, he's now singing where the streets have no name in the original studio key, mysterious ways on the third and fourth leg was played half a step HIGHER than on the album, and he nails the countdown in Gloria, etc etc. the big distinction is that the tone of his voice has changed over the years and i frankly think it's not as good for some songs but makes some songs sound better than ever. and it's much more interesting than having a singer who sounds exactly the same every single tour.
Very interesting post, and I completey agree with your point about the tone of his voice being the big difference. It's like he's singing from a different place now than he did back in the early 90s and before, not just expelling different notes. Now, my question for you: which songs do you think sound worse and which sound better due to this new tone?

blindinglights said:

Yeah, some old songs a definently better in the Vertigo versions, Discotheque, OOC, Electric Co, Miss Sarajevo. And I think that the Rock N roll Hall Of Fame SHFWILF version was one of the best ever. Bono sang it so good. And just listen to the chours in Pride on 2005-07-29 - Gothenburg and 2005-09-14 - Toronto. He sings it with more feeling and power.

I agree with above that discho, elec co, and miss sarajevo all sound best on this tour. I also agree with Still Haven't Found sounding wonderful on this tour, better than elevation and even better than zootv.

I disagree with Pride - I think it sounds better now than during elevation but not as good as the 80's/early 90's versions and that has something to do with the lack of power or force(but not range) that earlier versions had.

BAD on the vertigo tour sounds as good as it ever has, totally equaling or surpassing any previous versions. Just listen to chicago 9/21 with the first time snippet, boston 12/4, 10/10 with pple got the power, dublin etc., all absolutely amazing. Likewise the performances of Gloria are on par with previous eras for sure.
As a general rule though, I think that songs written on joshua tree and achtung baby sound best during those repective time periods. It's as though they were written with Bono's voice requiring that tone to realize their full potential. Therefore I don't think songs like WOWY, streets or One are as powerful now live as they were back then.

blindinglights said:

I disagree with Pride - I think it sounds better now than during elevation but not as good as the 80's/early 90's versions and that has something to do with the lack of power or force(but not range) that earlier versions had.

But the version from the named dates are amazing, he is adding a strong sound in the "naaaaame" note that he hasnt done before. It isnt the strongest chours in that song but it is different. And also he hold the note longer then he did in the JT/LT days where he sang the "naaaame" note very short

blindinglights said:

BAD on the vertigo tour sounds as good as it ever has, totally equaling or surpassing any previous versions. Just listen to chicago 9/21 with the first time snippet, boston 12/4, 10/10 with pple got the power, dublin etc., all absolutely amazing. Likewise the performances of Gloria are on par with previous eras for sure.
2005-09-14 - Bad, he hold the wide awake note very long

blindinglights said:

As a general rule though, I think that songs written on joshua tree and achtung baby sound best during those repective time periods. It's as though they were written with Bono's voice requiring that tone to realize their full potential. Therefore I don't think songs like WOWY, streets or One are as powerful now live as they were back then.

Well I think that BTBS and WTSHNN was much better at ZooTV. Listen to WTSHNN(1992-08-29 - Outside Broadcast)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bonos voice change story

U2DMfan said:

Have you heard the 2005-10-03 - Boston - SYCMIOYO sing part? He hold the note in 8 seconds. Its incredible :)

Aside from Lovetown, the album version of Walk On is probably my favorite Bono vocal. It's definitely not his "strongest" but I personally feel more of his style and personality shine through here than ever before.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bonos voice change story

Peterrrrr said:

Have you heard the 2005-10-03 - Boston - SYCMIOYO sing part? He hold the note in 8 seconds. Its incredible :)

Yeah just imagine him doing the same thing two steps higher and for just as long.

Actually you don't have to imagine, just listen to Native Son.

blindinglights said:

I don't remember him hitting the high 'C' on the Vertigo tour, I'll just have to take your word for it. Considering how he won't even approach that note for Wild Horses, I am skpetical, but then again I have only heard maybe one version of Vertigo 'Bad'. I've heard 2 or 3 versions of Wild Horses and he just let the crowd sing it. They only played Angel of Harlem once in Dallas.

Other than that, well said, his tone has changed most notably in his lower registers. This is where he's been damaged most by smoking, IMO.

1986-06-15 - East Rutherford(Amnesty International), that show I think is a highlight in his voice eras. It blows away the JT/LT years. Listen how long he hold the notes in SBS, how good he is on the "fade away" and "wide awake" part in Bad, how powerfull he sings Pride, and listen how he sing the line "seems to vanish in the haze" in Help. This show is a must see! :)

True, he doesn't usually cleanly hit the high C now in Bad, but to be fair he doesn't really in rattle and hum or zoo tv dublin either. So the comparison is still fair. I will tell you though that if you get your hands on the boston december fourth show, the last set of wide awakes he clearly unmistakably nails the high C.

Regarding wild horses, a couple of points. True he doesn't usually go for the high note but, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe now they're playing it in the original key instead of tuning it down half a step like they did during Zoo Tv. And I think he did go for the high C when they played it in dublin and in london but i can't confirm since i don't have mp3s of em handy.
yes his low register is different and that's partly why a song like WOWY doesn't sound as haunting to me as it once did. Still awesome though.

Compared to the Popmart and Elevation Tours, Bono's voice was fantastic during the Vertigo shows. I haven't heard him sing like that since Lovetown (when he finally blew his voice out).

The rumor is that he had some sort of throat surgery around 1999. If this is true his recovery has been nothing short of remarkable.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Compared to the Popmart and Elevation Tours, Bono's voice was fantastic during the Vertigo shows. I haven't heard him sing like that since Lovetown (when he finally blew his voice out).

The rumor is that he had some sort of throat surgery around 1999. If this is true his recovery has been nothing short of remarkable.

Lovetown wasnt that good, he had a whispering hoarse sound in his voice, he failed to hold the notes long enough. He used the kermit voice to much. Just compare how he sings WOWY, Bad and ISHFWILF with the JT versions, he had a more full operatic voice with more richness and power and he hold the notes much longer in JT. High notes he hit clean in Jt tour he had to scream hoarse to come close to in LT.

He had a surgery in 1998

blindinglights said:
True, he doesn't usually cleanly hit the high C now in Bad, but to be fair he doesn't really in rattle and hum or zoo tv dublin either. So the comparison is still fair. I will tell you though that if you get your hands on the boston december fourth show, the last set of wide awakes he clearly unmistakably nails the high C.

Regarding wild horses, a couple of points. True he doesn't usually go for the high note but, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe now they're playing it in the original key instead of tuning it down half a step like they did during Zoo Tv. And I think he did go for the high C when they played it in dublin and in london but i can't confirm since i don't have mp3s of em handy.
yes his low register is different and that's partly why a song like WOWY doesn't sound as haunting to me as it once did. Still awesome though.

Have you listen to 2005-09-14 - Toronto, how high does he hit the wide awake part there?

And in Wild Horses, is it the "Don't you look back" note you mean?

I think I heard the toronto Bad in the past, don't really remember if it was a B or C. (usually it's a B). If you have a link to post I could give a listen. And yah I am referring to the "don't look back" part in wild horses. I think he attempted going high there either at the london show, the dublin show or both but I don't know for sure. Oh wait, I have the london bootleg so I can check that one at least.

By the way I think WGRYWH sounds great on the vertigo tour, both electric and accoustic versions. There's a great video of the accoustic version from minneapolis on youtube.com.

blindinglights said:
I think I heard the toronto Bad in the past, don't really remember if it was a B or C. (usually it's a B). If you have a link to post I could give a listen. And yah I am referring to the "don't look back" part in wild horses. I think he attempted going high there either at the london show, the dublin show or both but I don't know for sure. Oh wait, I have the london bootleg so I can check that one at least.

By the way I think WGRYWH sounds great on the vertigo tour, both electric and accoustic versions. There's a great video of the accoustic version from minneapolis on youtube.com.

Here it is: http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=51B6D66930D20765

It must be the Dublin version, I have listen to them both.

blindinglights said:

I believe they are playing it in the original key, totally from memory, I'll listen to it later on and check, if we are wrong I'll make note.

Bad=That's a tough note to hit for him, especially if he's giving the whole song a real good take. All those high choruses (Let it Go!!! and Fade Away!!!...strenuous), that's why the version on Wide Awake in America is so bloody awesome, his vocal take is just tremendous.

Back
Top Bottom