Bono's mike magic on Slane DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lov12113

The Fly
Okay, so I was watching the Slane DVD for only the second time today and I saw something very wierd on "Streets". After Bono runs around the walkway and ends up back on the main stage, there is a camera shot from behind Bono that shows him facing the crowd as normal. In this shot he is holding his mic in his hands and the mic stand is beside him. As soon as the camera comes back to him on the next shot, the mic is attached to the stand and Bono is now using the mic stand.

So I thought, Bono must have put the mic on the stand between shots of him singing. Not so fast! On the next shot of him singing, he has the mic in his hand again and is moving down the stage with it. Then the next shot shows him magically back in front of the stand with the mic attached again!! This happens several more times (like 3 or 4 times total) of conflicting footage showing Bono moving around the main stage with the mike in his hands and then magically reappearing behind a mic stand with the mic attached. Its hard to describe so look for it on Streets on the Slane DVD. Looks like some strange footage editiing to me.:eyebrow:

Isn't there some whacky editing in Sunday Bloody Sunday when they're playing at night, and then it's sunset, and then it's night again? I haven't watched the DVD in a while, so maybe my memory is fuzzy.

yeah editing, most of the shots from behind larrys drum kits are from slane I i think, dont know why exactly....

theres also sunset during "until the end of the world"...
i'm betting if hamish hamilton didnt direct the show, this may not have happend

Atleast its Slane One mixed with Slane Two. Would have been great to see an arena roof mixed in there. Then we'd have Boston and Slane together called Sloston or Blane.:eyebrow:

So were are still left without any full unedited U2 concert on video. Boston has a mixed setlist and mixed footage, Slane leaves out Mysterious ways and mixes footage, Sydney doesn't have the zoo confessionals or tryin' to throw ...oh well, I guess when you are a band that makes as many blunders live as U2 does, you really need to do a patch-up job and not be willing to show your entire show in one cohesive release. I guess bootlegs are our only option.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
So were are still left without any full unedited U2 concert on video. Boston has a mixed setlist and mixed footage, Slane leaves out Mysterious ways and mixes footage, Sydney doesn't have the zoo confessionals or tryin' to throw ...oh well, I guess when you are a band that makes as many blunders live as U2 does, you really need to do a patch-up job and not be willing to show your entire show in one cohesive release. I guess bootlegs are our only option.

Cheers,

J

i'm getting sydney on dvd via a trade with Confessions and Trying to throw your arms....

bono_man2002 said:

i'm getting sydney on dvd via a trade with Confessions and Trying to throw your arms....

That's probably not an official release, but it should do for now. I liked the setlist of Dublin `93 better though.

Cheers,

J

Aralitia said:
I don't recall any blunders at Slane, and no band is perfect.

U2 "blundered" Slane by bringing a little girl onstage which didn't look too good for concert purposes and did not fit the flow of the show they wanted to portray, hence they left it out of the main show. The little girl dancing bit might have also been something for pedos to chew on, so it was conveniently hidden.

I don't mean blunders in the context of the band failing to achieve technical perfection, I mean blunders in the sense that they always end up doing something that gives them a reason to edit out a certain "blundered" performance from the official live release. That is why we don't have a full show in its entirety to date - either on video or live audio cd.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Sydney doesn't have the zoo confessionals or tryin' to throw ...

I thought they cut that song out b/c the girl was only 17? You can't blame them for being legal now can you?

jick said:

U2 "blundered" Slane by bringing a little girl onstage which didn't look too good for concert purposes and did not fit the flow of the show they wanted to portray, hence they left it out of the main show. The little girl dancing bit might have also been something for pedos to chew on, so it was conveniently hidden.

I don't mean blunders in the context of the band failing to achieve technical perfection, I mean blunders in the sense that they always end up doing something that gives them a reason to edit out a certain "blundered" performance from the official live release. That is why we don't have a full show in its entirety to date - either on video or live audio cd.

so basically, U2 should perform every concert thinking that they should not do certain things just incase pedos are in the audience, and make sure everything they do is useful for future video editing? Come ON!!! :rolleyes:

Here is a suggestion for Interferencers. When you see Jick post to obviously incite problems which is 99% of the time, just ignore it. You are doing exactly what he wants by getting carried away about it. He is obviously not trying to stir any legitimate debate because most of his posts are rambling, uninformed and flat out inaccurate and the sole purpose is to obviously to just piss people off. I could logically with facts dispute every single thing he has said on this thread with complete accuracy. But what would be the point. Just see his posts for what they are and ignore it.

jick said:

a little girl onstage

That would be one of Bono's daughters if I'm not mistaken. From what I heard in PLEBA she danced allright and it looked pretty.

If the band was really that concerned about pedophiles, they could have just as easy not add the song in the hidden menu at all, or not bring her on stage. Clearly them, Bono, Ali or she had no problem with her appearing on stage.

Wasn't Popmart unedited?

On Slane at the end of "Desire" Larry drops his drumstick, but then in the next frame he does that cool bouncy thing with that same drumstick he dropped!

U2girl said:

That would be one of Bono's daughters if I'm not mistaken. From what I heard in PLEBA she danced allright and it looked pretty.

Yes, it was Bono's daughter Eve who was 10 at the time.

I always thought they made MW a bonus track b/c of the way it's filmed doesn't really flow with the filming of the rest of the concert. :shrug:

discothequeLP said:
Wasn't Popmart unedited?

PopMart is missing bits. I know of at least one part, where someone was pointing a laser and Bono and he tells him to "get the fucking thing out of his eyes" or something. So it may be unedited, but it's not 100% complete.

And Jick, if you insist on the complete unedited Slane concert, just watch the bootleg!

Blue Room said:
Here is a suggestion for Interferencers. When you see Jick post to obviously incite problems which is 99% of the time, just ignore it. You are doing exactly what he wants by getting carried away about it. He is obviously not trying to stir any legitimate debate because most of his posts are rambling, uninformed and flat out inaccurate and the sole purpose is to obviously to just piss people off. I could logically with facts dispute every single thing he has said on this thread with complete accuracy. But what would be the point. Just see his posts for what they are and ignore it.

I'm going to call this post "The things we think and do not say"

:applaud:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I don't believe I've ever seen any band do this.

Pearl Jam did release their live shows unedited back in the day, but only on audio format. I doubt they did it on official video. But in tribute to U2, some shows they telecast or broadcast were indeed complete - but why didn't they just make it an official "complete" live audio cd set or a video? There are too many shows to list - New Years `90, Dublin `93, Popmart Sarajevo, Chile, Johannesburg ...all these come to mind.

Back to the original topic of this thread, I am of the strong opinion that if the band uses the audio track of the second slane show, then the entire video should be from that same show for that song - its impossible they can't find a decent camera angles out of some 20plus cameras. The Boston release did look s awkward with the guitars changing colors in Gone. Stick to one video track, we can live with that instead of some mic magic.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Bono blundered it by bringing his daughter on stage?

Oh catch a grip

All you do is criticise I haven't seen one post here in which you can say something good

I was at the show, it was brilliant, Bono bringing his daughter on stage was maybe something he didn't want all these people seeing who bought the DVD.

jick said:

J

The little girl is Bono's daughter Eve. I thought it was sweet when they danced together.:hug:

Aralitia said:

Bono blundered it by bringing his daughter on stage?

Oh catch a grip

All you do is criticise I haven't seen one post here in which you can say something good

I was at the show, it was brilliant, Bono bringing his daughter on stage was maybe something he didn't want all these people seeing who bought the DVD.

I thought that was a cool touch to bring his daughter onstage too. What I meant by "blundered" is that the band did something that upon further reflection by them did not fit in with the rest of the show. So because of this blunder, we get an edited Slane show. It was a nice gesture for Bono to do that in the show really - but it's just too bad we still don't have a full unedited continuous officially released U2 show on video.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

I thought that was a cool touch to bring his daughter onstage too. What I meant by "blundered" is that the band did something that upon further reflection by them did not fit in with the rest of the show. So because of this blunder, we get an edited Slane show. It was a nice gesture for Bono to do that in the show really - but it's just too bad we still don't have a full unedited continuous officially released U2 show on video.

Cheers,

J

But MY isn't the only edited part of the DVD anyway....and like I've said multiple times before, how do you know it's a bonus track because of Eve dancing and not because of the way it was filmed?

When I heard it got moved to the end, I was a bit disappointed, but then I saw it and felt that the filming of it was so different from the rest of the show, it made sense to separate it. Now I don't know jack shit about filming, but that's honestly what I though the first time I saw it.

And Jick, there IS an unedited version of that show available, so all of your criticisms are useless.

edits on slane dvd that i'm aware of

- before beautiful day bono says "its 2 - nill now" refering to the football match.

- Bono sang a snippet of two tribes at the end of "until the end of the world", you can tell, because he still has his mic up to his face

- bono fell over onto larrys drum kit on "Out Of Control"....this would have been funny to watch.

- until the end of the world can be seen in daylight

- streets is a mix of both shows. (in video)

- bono talks a little more before one

- "when will i see you again" is not on the dvd....which doestn bother me

- they cut bono saying "for bob hewson"...another very small edit..that doesnt bother me

Back
Top Bottom