Bono Interview on CNN tonight with Aaron Brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
NewsNight with Aaron Brown:
From the rock stage to the world stage: U2 frontman Bono tells Aaron why he's hit the road on a tour of Africa. (10 p.m. ET)

------------------
chuck me in the shallow water before I get too deep.
carrie@interference.com

YAY! Thanks for sharing, Hello!
smile.gif

Schweeeeeeeet!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tidbit!

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Love is...cold steel/Fingers too numb to feel/Squeeze the handle/Blow out the candle
Love is blindness.../A little death/Without mourning/No call/And no warning...

I dreamed of different times, and tried to find my way
Ooooh all the darkest lies, cloud my world today
I'm not unbreakable, although I might pretend
It's not unthinkable that I could feel again

[Thanks Coach P]

....i have a long sig just to piss you off!...

DAMN,
I thought it was going to be the whole hour based on the way they advertised it. Instead it was just 5 minutes!

Yep, CNN mentioned the interview every 5 minutes, then it ended up being near the end of the show and it only lasted 5 minutes.

I thought it was a great interview except for the yelling.
wink.gif

So anyone want to describe it for those of us poor bastards with nothing but standard network TV channels?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

I fell asleep and missed the whole thing, but I did find a transcript:

BROWN: There's a category of people, a pretty exclusive one, for those we call the celebrity do-gooder. The stereotype goes about like this. An earnest know-nothing reads an article or two from a earnest magazine and promotes a cause without any of the subtlety needed to advance it. A lot of people want to put Bono in this category, including a lot of policy makers.

The only difference is that Bono would actually read reports like, "Treasury strengthens transparency on global standards." And actually convinced the author that he understood it. The author being the Secretary of the Treasury, Paul O'Neill, who's on a 10-day tour of Africa with Bono. Each trying together, to advance some solutions to poverty, disease, debt. Therefore no other better phrase are simply plaguing an entire continent.

It is easy to dismiss this, as some people did upon hearing the promo that ran this afternoon. I suspect they won't be quite so dismissive after hearing what the U2 singer had to say when we talked with him from Pretoria this afternoon.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

BROWN: Do you think it's possible, given the kind of attention all the camera crews, the press that's along, for him to really get a sense of the dimensions of the problems in Africa?

BONO, SINGER, U2: Yes. I mean that's it. But I'll tell you what. It's amazing thing though, just being here, what it means, to people. I mean, we're riding around in Ghana, in Akra. And people are coming out on the streets. And they're waving at this motorcade going by. And I can tell you, they're not -- our records aren't played on the radio over here. They're waving at the United States and the U.S. Treasury. When we go north into Muslim territory, I'm seeing people coming out of their houses and waving. And why is that?

I'll tell you why. Because we're there. And because these people don't feel abandoned. And they feel there's chance for new relationship with America, and with Europe and with sub Saharan Africa. Now I tell you what. If we come back in five years and we've let these people down, and we've ignored the AIDS emergency, they'd be throwing rocks at us. And who could blame them?

BROWN: Did you talk about AIDS today with the government of South Africa, because as you know, the government of South Africa seems to have some difficulty grasping this issue.

BONO: They're turning the corner on AIDS. Yes, we spoke with the government today. I spoke with President Mbeki and with his finance minister. And Mbeki has a great idea, though. Outside of criticisms for his lack of leadership on AIDS, he has shown great leadership on how to deal with the African problem and the crisis on that continent.

And he has this thing called NEPAD, which is a New Partnership with America and Europe. And we're really hoping that in the next year, there can be a real historic initiative, a whole new way of looking at this problem. And by that, I mean, with good governments and anti-corruption laws, we treat them. We listen to them. We treat them fairly and equally.

And that includes trade, because they have not had free trade a lot of the times. They've had very unfair trade. And also on the debt burden, you know, if they show promise, and they show that we can deal with them, they'll -- then we drop their debts. This is the sort of things we're talking about.

BROWN: These sorts of trips create certain expectations. Best case, what would you like from the U.S. government resulting from this trip?

BONO: Well, look, I believe the American people are generous people. They don't like to hear and to discover that on the list of the 22 wealthiest countries in the world, they are giving the least to the poorest country in the world. They don't want that.

But I have to say there's a reason. Some people call it a reason, some people call it an excuse. But the reasons offered is that aid in the past has been not as effective as it should be. That's what the -- Paul O'Neill is saying. I'm showing him effective aid. I believe if we show Americans that for very little money, they can transform the lives. Indeed, save the lives of hundreds and thousands of people, millions of people.

And you know, this is partly what's going on in Washington this week. There's a bill Senator Helms has put forward. $500 million. There's another one Senator Durbin put forward for $700 million to deal with this emergency in the emergency supplemental. If we are to lose that kind of money, it's more than a scandal. It's destruction of lives. And I'm confident that people like Senator Frist and others that are really leading the way on the AIDS emergency will prevail. And I know that the White House is listening here. And I know that.

BROWN: Bono, we wish you nothing -- we wish you nothing but great success. Thanks for your time today. Travel safely.

BONO: I'm sorry for ranting, but if you were here, you'd be ranting too, Aaron. Thanks for your coverage. Bye.

BROWN: Bye, thank you.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

Hi sula! BTW, have you received anything in the mail lately?

Anyway, Bono was tired, but combed. He had to wait to hear the questions over the airwaves, and then, in true Bono-way, he didn't really answer the questions. He repeated his riffs about how the people of Ghana were waving now, but if someting doesn't give, they'll be throwing rocks next time. Aaron was trying not to be girlish and giddy, and he almost succeeded.

For anyone who has cable, this link has rerun info: http://www.musicstation.com/cgi-bin/rotv/rotv_cgi?search_type=artist_exact&sort_by=artist&type=tv&search=168255

------------------

You have fairly generic bunions. --my podiatrist, 4-11-02

Thanks for the transcript and the description! I feel much more informed now.
biggrin.gif

And martha...yes, yes I did as a matter of fact. Thank ya! And while we're on the subject, you may want to keep an eye on your mailbox because a little bird told me that it might contain some goodies some time next week (hopefully).
wink.gif

I posted this in a thread yesterday but it broke in Pleba.. anyway I wanted to repost it here, b/c that interview last night touched me so deeply.. his anger was Quite apparent...
and I can say that before seeing that interview (and reading one about the 8 year old girls who are brutally punished for taking something to eat and can no longer work, etc...) I would not have agreed if Bono wanted to give up the music and dedicate himself to this..... but after watching him, and hearing what he had to say, and even though it would be a devastating loss to me and to us and to the music world, I would have to agree with him about his decision.

Thankfully he has so far been able to balance both.. but what atrocities are taking place over there, and like he said "but if you were here you'd be ranting too"

I thought it was a great interview. Sometimes I get tired of Bono's soundbytes (even though I know there's always somebody hearing them for the first time) but this time I thought what really came through was the depth of his knowledge about the situation, his passion, dedication and seriousness. I felt proud of him and got the fuzzies.

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
[BI would not have agreed if Bono wanted to give up the music and dedicate himself to this..... but after watching him, and hearing what he had to say, and even though it would be a devastating loss to me and to us and to the music world, I would have to agree with him about his decision.
[/B]

olive, I don't think he could do that. Artists have to make art; it's who they are and what they do. This will influence his art, but he won't give it up.

------------------

You have fairly generic bunions. --my podiatrist, 4-11-02

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
I posted this in a thread yesterday but it broke in Pleba.. anyway I wanted to repost it here, b/c that interview last night touched me so deeply.. his anger was Quite apparent...

Olive,

Yes, it was, and I was cheering. On the Fox clip (w/ Neil Cavuto), he really let it go. Said he was angered by people "having to pay to take a crap" (AMEN! WTF...I had no idea...and I was in the Peace Corps!) and it was an outrage.

It's also pretty cute to see the interviewers try to look all serious and professional when you know they're thinking, "Holy $%@&, it's really Bono!"

smile.gif

Cheryl

------------------
You don't have to be Henry Kissenger to figure out that a more prosperous world is a more secure world; a more educated world is a more tolerant world; and a more healthy world is a more stable world, and I think that would be a fitting memorial to those who lost their lives on Sept. 11th. ~Bono on Leno, Thanksgiving 2001

Back
Top Bottom