Bono in Toronto????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliEnvy

Refugee
I just saw on the local news that Paul Martin has invited Bono to speak at the Liberal convention next week in Toronto.

The 2 got along well when they met in 2000 and Paul Martin was the first leader of the G7 to commit to the Drop the Debt campaign...Bono spoke of him during one of the Toronto concerts on the Elevation tour.

Somehow I doubt it will happen but this weekend just happens to be the weekend for inTO the HEART: U2 FAN FEST 2003 and last week he just gave Affa and Captive from EXIT a tour of Hansa Studios....and EXIT plays Saturday night....

omgomgomgomgomg...ok I'm dreaming out loud...but even the teeniest tiniest chance that he would be in Toronto at the same time gives me goosebumps!!!!

OMFG!!!!!!

:shocked: :faint:

Holy shit!! I work at the ACC where the Liberal Convention is being held. I'm WORKING the convention itself!!
This could be my chance to meet THE MAN!! It would make my whole life if I could.
I could get in shit for getting an autograph or picture (as it is unprofessional) but for Bono I may say fuck the rules lol. We'll see next week! OMG!

I'm also gonna try and go to this U2 fest...but I gotta find out where the hell this venue spindrift is. There is no addy on the fest site and I can't find it on Toronto.com.
I just hope the out of towners can find it cause if ME a life long Torontonian doesn't know where it is, how can they.

**Crosses my fingers** I soo hope I get to meet Bono.

I live in Ireland and never try and meet the bloke :der:

:shrug:

its confirmed.

bono will be delivering a 15 minute speech-not endorsing paul, just educating the group on africa and AIDS in an effort to give an early color to the incoming government and foreign policy.

ill be there as a registered and paid-in-full liberal.

OMG SWEEEEET!!!
Do you know what day he'll be there??? I'm figuring the Friday, but I want to make sure.

I hope I get to meet him!!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Damn, I just saw in U2News he'll be there the 12th. :sigh:

Oh well, better luck next time!

Hmm the 12th is next Wednesday. The liberal convention doesn't start until the 13th. Weird.

i think the acc part starts the 13th. it starts the 12th but that is just some sort of youth event, i thought.

as far as i know it will be the nite of martin's victory speech-saturday nite.

Re: OMFG!!!!!!

PearlJam_U2 said:

I'm also gonna try and go to this U2 fest...but I gotta find out where the hell this venue spindrift is. There is no addy on the fest site and I can't find it on Toronto.com.
I just hope the out of towners can find it cause if ME a life long Torontonian doesn't know where it is, how can they.

it's in the Sheraton Centre Hotel

Spindrift Hospitality Suite, 4th Floor

Just got this from MuchMusic, it says ottawa......

MuchNews: Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Bono In Ottawa?
U2's Bono is expected to appear at the Liberal Party convention in Ottawa next week, according to party officials. The Irish rocker will address the Liberal gathering on the evening that Paul Martin takes his place as leader of the Federal party. Bono is expected to speak about the AIDS crisis in Africa. In the past, Bono has met privately with Martin and has publicly praised the former finance minister for his efforts on debt relief. Bono's possible appearance will inject some star power into the event - which many see as a mere formality in Martin's rise to Party leader. Paul Martin's staff reportedly reached out to Bono to convince him to speak at the convention. Only about a third of eligible delegates have registered to attend the event.

BUT according to the liberal web page, which I can't believe I forced myself to go to damn those liberals, it says it is in Toronto.

Last edited:
the liberal convention is definitely in toronto and that is where bono will be.
i am 99.9% certain that bono will be at acc on saturday nite, the 14th. doors are not open to anyone you have to be a liberal and have paid the convention fee.

the convention is certainly in toronto

Re: Re: OMFG!!!!!!

jesseu2 said:

it's in the Sheraton Centre Hotel

Spindrift Hospitality Suite, 4th Floor

That's right, however, it's a private party at this venue before the show at the Elmo. When you registered for the weekend at www.intotheheart.com then you should have recieved all of the info regarding this event on an email form. Everyone is welcome, but because it's a private room we have to have everyone registered.

I'm under the impression that it's on Friday November the 14th. Click here for more info on the Liberal Convention.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: OMFG!!!!!!

spinninghead77 said:

That's right, however, it's a private party at this venue before the show at the Elmo. When you registered for the weekend at www.intotheheart.com then you should have recieved all of the info regarding this event on an email form. Everyone is welcome, but because it's a private room we have to have everyone registered.

oh yea need to register and i shoulda kept that location confidential :silent: :banghead:

Re: Re: Re: Re: OMFG!!!!!!

jesseu2 said:

oh yea need to register and i shoulda kept that location confidential :silent: :banghead:

Ok #1 I AM registered
#2 if this event is for ALL fans why the need for secrecy....do I smell the scent of elitism here?

The Liberal convention is next Thursday and Friday....there was supposed to be a Saturday one, but it is cancelled.

I spoke to people at work (ACC) tonight and it looks like Bono will be there on Thursday the 13th and is supposed to Sing!! AHHHHHHHH!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OMFG!!!!!!

PearlJam_U2 said:

#2 if this event is for ALL fans why the need for secrecy....do I smell the scent of elitism here?

i felt i mighta gave the word out that woulda caused a herd of people that weren't registered and plus its limited occupancy. but spinninghead said it was okay. soo see ya there!

kobayashi said:
i think the acc part starts the 13th. it starts the 12th but that is just some sort of youth event, i thought.

as far as i know it will be the nite of martin's victory speech-saturday nite.

ACC has both the 13th AND the 14th. There is nothing Saturday night. Initially they had it booked but they cancelled that night so it's only 2 nights.
People at work are saying Bono is coming in the 13 and may sing too! I'll SHIT if that happens!!

PearlJam_U2 said:

Ok #1 I AM registered

Just because this event is in a private party room at a swanky hotel. The room only holds so many people. We want to make sure that those of you that registered get in, so we didn't broadcast the information to everyone. If people off the street (who didn't register) showed up, then there might not be room for all of us who have registered and are attending all events.

I know that when the information went out for the preparty a number of emails bounced back to the sender. I guess this is the price that you have to pay for doing EVERYTHING electronically. Please contact me at kelcline@hotmail.com I will forward you the email so that you can confirm your reservation. That way a) your name will be on the specific guest list for the pre party, and b) you will have all of the information of the logistics for the pre party. I would love to just confirm you, but since everyone on here uses screennames it's not quite that easy.

Ciao for now

Today's National Post!!

National Post, Thursday, November 6
Page Two - Weekend Agenda (Arts & Life Section)

HUGE PHOTO OF EDGE AND BONO a-la "End of the World" with the caption reading:
"No, Paul Martin CAN'T join the band!" U2's Edge, left and Bono will be topics of conversation at the Into the Heart U2 Fan Fest this weekend.

!!!

Then on the left column, we're in the second piece titled:

BEDTIME FOR BONO

Suddenly, everything's coming up Bono. Set to star in next week-end's Liberal love-in, the U2 front man will also be the subject of much fawning and tribute this weekend during the Into the Heart U2 Fan Fest. Though including several tribute bands (the pop music equivalent of going to a Star Trek convention and watching a bunch of portly men in Star Fleet uniforms re-enact the climactic scene from The Wrath of Khan), the festival will also feature screenings of Rattle and Hum and U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle. Ample other opportunities to ge together with other U2 fans and try to figure our why Pop was such crap. Various venues. For more information see www.intotheheart.com

PearlJam_U2 said:
Ok #1 I AM registered

It may be that you registered once the pre-party was already full in which case you would have not been sent the party details. It says right on the web site that there is limited space.

Most of the events are open to ALL U2 fans and to the public but the pre-show party is a private party for festival registrants only on a first-registered, first-served basis. The Spindrift suite has limited space of 100 due to fire and security regulations at the hotel. There is nothing we can do about that.

Re: Today's National Post!!

spinninghead77 said:
National Post, Thursday, November 6
Page Two - Weekend Agenda (Arts & Life Section)

HUGE PHOTO OF EDGE AND BONO a-la "End of the World" with the caption reading:
"No, Paul Martin CAN'T join the band!" U2's Edge, left and Bono will be topics of conversation at the Into the Heart U2 Fan Fest this weekend.

!!!

Then on the left column, we're in the second piece titled:

BEDTIME FOR BONO

Suddenly, everything's coming up Bono. Set to star in next week-end's Liberal love-in, the U2 front man will also be the subject of much fawning and tribute this weekend during the Into the Heart U2 Fan Fest. Though including several tribute bands (the pop music equivalent of going to a Star Trek convention and watching a bunch of portly men in Star Fleet uniforms re-enact the climactic scene from The Wrath of Khan), the festival will also feature screenings of Rattle and Hum and U2 Go Home - Live from Slane Castle. Ample other opportunities to ge together with other U2 fans and try to figure our why Pop was such crap. Various venues. For more information see www.intotheheart.com

I have the front section of the paper in my hand. I stumbled across it on the Go Train on my way home from work last night. I don't see the article about the U2 fest anywhere on either the front or page A6 with the other article. Maybe they release early and midday editions and I have a different one from you. Either way...VERY cool about the fest getting some coverage.

To Spinninghead...
Sorry if I sounded hostile in the earlier post. I figured there would be someone at the door checking off names so even if a regular Joe came they couldn't get in anyways. Either way its all good...I can't make the pre-party anyways...I'm working the Leaf game. I'll be at the screening at 279 and the El Mocambo.

Re: Re: Today's National Post!!

PearlJam_U2 said:

To Spinninghead...
Sorry if I sounded hostile in the earlier post. I figured there would be someone at the door checking off names so even if a regular Joe came they couldn't get in anyways. Either way its all good...I can't make the pre-party anyways...I'm working the Leaf game. I'll be at the screening at 279 and the El Mocambo.

Not a problem, there will be someone working the door (me for a section of the night) but we didn't want to broadcast the info just because we didn't want too many dissapointed people showing up. If you are able to make it for a little while, then you know where to find us ;)

Come and introduce yourself Saturday night. It's always nice to meet new U2 fans, especially new U2 fans from Toronto.

Back
Top Bottom