Bono doesn't win Nobel Peace Prize - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Bono doesn't win Nobel Peace Prize

Just looked at the Nobel web page... they gave it to some woman in Iran who's "workign for freedom" or somethin' like that... no peace prize again this year for the B-Man

Old 10-10-2003, 08:51 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:54 PM
So what? As if he even has a shot at winning it. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than for Bono to win the nobel peace prize. Bono himself admits that he has a fascination for doing all these good deeds because he himself is the "last person to turn the other cheek." Of course, the fact that he lives so lavishly and spends money without conscience, while all the Africans he is lobbying for are dying is quite a contradiction. But Bono is a self-admitted asshole and egomaniac, so why even bother giving him a peace prize even he himself does not expect? Bono never was, never is, and perhaps never will be a Nobel peace prize contender. `Nuff said.

Cheers,

J

Old 10-10-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

there are millions of people equally deserving, maybe more deserving, maybe less deserving, of the Nobel Peace Prize

bottom line is Peace Prize or not these people are doing their utmost to make this world a better place to live in, and i think that's deserving of respect
Old 10-10-2003, 09:14 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Yertle,

Even though you're not from the Netherlands, I fully agree with you. From what I've read Shirin Ebadi deserves that prize, because she's also doing worthwhile things.

C ya!

Marty
Old 10-10-2003, 09:58 AM   #5
War Child

Boo I thought he deserved it more than she did. Lots of others did. Poor Bono, he's got lots of other awards and he's doing a good job. We love him!
Old 10-10-2003, 12:11 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
So what? As if he even has a shot at winning it. It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle than for Bono to win the nobel peace prize. Bono himself admits that he has a fascination for doing all these good deeds because he himself is the "last person to turn the other cheek." Of course, the fact that he lives so lavishly and spends money without conscience, while all the Africans he is lobbying for are dying is quite a contradiction. But Bono is a self-admitted asshole and egomaniac, so why even bother giving him a peace prize even he himself does not expect? Bono never was, never is, and perhaps never will be a Nobel peace prize contender. `Nuff said.
So now you're into twisting Scripture because you're run out of your own ideas? You've stooped to a new, disturbing low. If you insist on insulting people, fine, but don't use Bible passages to do so. Who are you to judge anyway? What the hell have you EVER done for humanity that give you the right to say something like that?

Jick, I find it ironic that you always have something to say when it comes to Bono and his personal agendas, yet whenever I ASK you a question, you NEVER reply or have anything to say back.

So, for the last time, why the hell are you even here if all you do is badmouth the people we are supposed to be supporting? Are you even a U2 fan? If so, why would you want to be a fan of something if you hated the leader so much? Like I said above, why do you have the right to judge people so harshly?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:25 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
bottom line is Peace Prize or not these people are doing their utmost to make this world a better place to live in, and i think that's deserving of respect
. Exactly. Yay for everyone ever nominated or who ever won the award.

A shame Bono didn't win-maybe next year. But congrats to the person who did...they certainly deserved it, from what I read about them. .

Also, well said, LivLuv. .

Angela
Old 10-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

WHY do people complain about what Bono is doing???? It doesn't make any sense to me! In all honesty, and this is purely my opinion (that which I most likely will get some sort of flack for), what Bono is doing for third-world countries, AIDS and the like, is FAR more important, in the grand scheme of things, than what he does as a musician. And why is that people constantly bring up the point that Bono lives a life in style, a multi-millionaire, living in lavish housing environments and what not, but doesn't seem to give any of his money to these people? First of all, I strongly believe that the B-Man does, indeed, donate to charities, but we simply never hear anything about that. Secondly, what Bono's been involved with is DROP THE DEBT, not PAY THE DEBT. He's trying to get well-to-do nations to, as the title implies, drop the debt other countries owe to them.

Bah, I wrote a paper on this about 2 years ago (got an 'A' ) and it still annoys me that people feel compelled to knock Bono for trying to help out a little *growls*

EDIT: And YES, I strongly agree with you, yertle!
Old 10-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's gonna take a lot of years (10-15+) on this campaign and some visible impact on Africans and the AIDS rate (which has not been gotten yet) for him to come even close to winning a Nobel. I would have been very surprised and disappointed if he HAD gotten one this year b/c it would have been way premature and based on celebrity. Sounds like the woman they did choose was a deserving pick, plus the spotlight this shines and the million $ prize probably would have a greater impact on her cause.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:34 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

I think it was great he was even nominated.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:36 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
I think it was great he was even nominated.
exactly.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:41 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:54 AM
I think Bono's still young, compared to the other nominees (even the Pope had big buzz this year). If Bono continues to do his work for whatever he believes in... I think he still might have a chance, over the next few decades.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #13
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

So now you're into twisting Scripture because you're run out of your own ideas? You've stooped to a new, disturbing low. If you insist on insulting people, fine, but don't use Bible passages to do so. Who are you to judge anyway? What the hell have you EVER done for humanity that give you the right to say something like that?

Jick, I find it ironic that you always have something to say when it comes to Bono and his personal agendas, yet whenever I ASK you a question, you NEVER reply or have anything to say back.

So, for the last time, why the hell are you even here if all you do is badmouth the people we are supposed to be supporting? Are you even a U2 fan? If so, why would you want to be a fan of something if you hated the leader so much? Like I said above, why do you have the right to judge people so harshly?
well said!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:22 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
there are millions of people equally deserving, maybe more deserving, maybe less deserving, of the Nobel Peace Prize

that's all
Old 10-11-2003, 01:39 AM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pop Artist
It's gonna take a lot of years (10-15+) on this campaign and some visible impact on Africans and the AIDS rate (which has not been gotten yet) for him to come even close to winning a Nobel. I would have been very surprised and disappointed if he HAD gotten one this year b/c it would have been way premature and based on celebrity. Sounds like the woman they did choose was a deserving pick, plus the spotlight this shines and the million $ prize probably would have a greater impact on her cause.
I agree. If Bono were to win a Nobel prize - and there are a lot of equally deserving people as well - I think it would be best if it happened when he's a little bit older, *hopefully* when Drop the Debt and other campaigns have had some fruitful results.

If he were to receive the prize at this stage I think a lot of people would criticize the choice because, as Pop Artist said, it could be interpreted as being based purely on his celebrity - and that would not be a good thing. Not that I don't think he is deserving, I just feel there are others who maybe have achieved little recognition already for their work, while Bono is well known for what he's done.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:48 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:

Cheers,

J
Yeah, I've seen Jick's comments before, and I, myself have wondered why is he here? He most definitely does not sound like a fan...more of a hater.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:39 AM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I am not insulting Bono. I am just quoting what he said, in that he has a fascination for the good because he said he is bad. The term he used is that he would be the last guy to "offer the other cheek if he was slapped." This is human nature to seek things we don't have. That is why there is the statement "opposites attract" or that a certain couple "compliments each other." Bono has a fascination for the do-gooders because he himself admits he is no do-gooder. I think I gotta find that quote somewhere, but I do assure you it was Bono himself who said this. So a self-admitted bad guy shouldn't even be considered for the nobel prize, should he? I am not judging him harshly, I am just repeating what Bono said about himself and his reasons for doing all this work. As a matter of fact, I am taking Bono's words for what they are, not trying to add anything or judge anything.

Cheers,

J
Old 10-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Buffalo*~

I agree. If Bono were to win a Nobel prize - and there are a lot of equally deserving people as well - I think it would be best if it happened when he's a little bit older, *hopefully* when Drop the Debt and other campaigns have had some fruitful results.

If he were to receive the prize at this stage I think a lot of people would criticize the choice because, as Pop Artist said, it could be interpreted as being based purely on his celebrity - and that would not be a good thing. Not that I don't think he is deserving, I just feel there are others who maybe have achieved little recognition already for their work, while Bono is well known for what he's done.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:43 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

....ignoring Jick because he's STILL not answering ANY of my questions....how weak is that? He must just transcribe whatever shit comes out of his ass and then change the subject because he has NO reason or support for any of it.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:10 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I am not insulting Bono. I am just quoting what he said, in that he has a fascination for the good because he said he is bad. The term he used is that he would be the last guy to "offer the other cheek if he was slapped." This is human nature to seek things we don't have. That is why there is the statement "opposites attract" or that a certain couple "compliments each other." Bono has a fascination for the do-gooders because he himself admits he is no do-gooder. I think I gotta find that quote somewhere, but I do assure you it was Bono himself who said this. So a self-admitted bad guy shouldn't even be considered for the nobel prize, should he? I am not judging him harshly, I am just repeating what Bono said about himself and his reasons for doing all this work. As a matter of fact, I am taking Bono's words for what they are, not trying to add anything or judge anything.

Cheers,

J
It seems to me you either completely misunderstood what Bono said or you are deliberately twisting his words. When Bono said he would be the last guy to turn the other cheek if he was slapped, he was simply admitting he has a temper and he's no saint. Who ever said you had to be a perfect human being in order to win a Nobel prize? I thought it was about what you do to improve the world around you.