Bono & Politics Question !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katiegoo

Babyface
Hello there. Im new here and i just had a question for you guys.

I absolutely love u2 and i have never seen them live before. I want to see them on their next US tour, but I only have 1 friend that may be willing to go with me. He likes u2 but hes a hardcore conservative and he's afraid that if he goes, Bono is gonna say something anti-bush or say something "liberal" that will offend him. Then I'll feel bad for making him go and he'll be all pissed off... and i just dont want that to happen. He doesnt even know for sure if bono is like that, he just has "a feeling" that hes liberal.
I told him i dont even know for sure what his political standing is... i know he works very hard for the AIDS in africa cause, and similar things like that, which we both agreed is cool.
I guess what Im asking you guys is, does Bono talk politics in concert? Hes not like an Eddie Vedder is he?

I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me about this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Bono's pollitical stance ( he's a "liberal"), will not be mentoned.
He's bi-partisan, and doesn't choose
sides.
It's not like Bono is going to be up there
with "Vote For Kerry" signs.

Last edited:
Well thats kinda what i thought...
I know Bono has met with Bush to discuss his causes before, so I always thought of him as a respectable guy. I would like to think he wouldnt bash people in public. At least thats my impression of him, I wanted to make sure i was right.

thanks

katiegoo said:
Well thats kinda what i thought...
I know Bono has met with Bush to discuss his causes before, so I always thought of him as a respectable guy. I would like to think he wouldnt bash people in public. At least thats my impression of him, I wanted to make sure i was right.

thanks

Bono is a class act. He's not going alienate himself by bashing. Bono may
not agree with Bush or whatever, but
Bono's not going to come out and bash
the guy.
Only time I heard Bono really "bashing"
anybody were those TV preachers.
"God is very well off......he doesn't need
your money, folks." :)

I'm probably more politically conservative than the average U2 fan and I've never had a problem with anything Bono says between songs at any concert I've been to. I should qualify my politics somewhat by saying I'm sceptical of both liberal and conservative world views, just more so lately of liberals.

That said, most of Bono's on-stage banter is like his lyrics, vague and open to interpretation. The exception being his NRA views, but I'm not what others would refer to as a "gun nut".

Go get a concert DVD like the Boston one to get an idea of what a U2 concert in the US is like. More importantly, forget your friends politics and just go to catch them live if you really want to, your opportunities to do so will probably diminish in the future.

katiegoo said:

I absolutely love u2 and i have never seen them live before. I want to see them on their next US tour, but I only have 1 friend that may be willing to go with me. He likes u2 but hes a hardcore conservative and he's afraid that if he goes, Bono is gonna say something anti-bush or say something "liberal" that will offend him. Then I'll feel bad for making him go and he'll be all pissed off... and i just dont want that to happen. He doesnt even know for sure if bono is like that, he just has "a feeling" that hes liberal.
I told him i dont even know for sure what his political standing is... i know he works very hard for the AIDS in africa cause, and similar things like that, which we both agreed is cool.
I guess what Im asking you guys is, does Bono talk politics in concert? Hes not like an Eddie Vedder is he?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Well he is not like Vedder because he has more class and sense than Vedder will ever have. BUT, he does do political things at concerts. On the Elevation tour, it was VERY hard for me to hold my composure when he started dissing Charlton Heston with a video and comments during BTBS. At both concerts I was at, there were boos and cheers both when this occured. I just put my head down and held my tongue. Personally, while I do believe everyone has a right to speak out, including me, including artists, I do kind of feel it's a bit wrong to try to inflict your beliefs on a captive, paying audience in the middle of a concert most people attended for entertainment purposes.

He also preaches about AIDS and Africa and talk to your congressman, but like your friend I have no problem with that, he's getting the message out about something important to THOUSANDS of people per show. I just don't like the negative, bashing things.

The tour isn't going to start until well after the elections, so I really doubt Bono will mention Bush at all while on tour. He's not the type to bash someone just for the heck of it.

And BP, I'm not sure if Bono/U2 were trying to force their beliefs upon a captive audience. I saw it as more as challenging the audience to think about their beliefs and the ramifications of those beliefs, something that U2 has done many times in the past. Was it bashing Heston to air his quote, or was it done to question the validity of it?

I'm in the same position as you, katiegoo, except it's with my dad. (I'm too young to go to Kansas City by myself.) If U2 come to KC, then I'll just grit my teeth and hope that Bono will keep his mouth shut for just one night. :|

katiegoo said:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

I truly feel very sorry for your friend if he's not gonna go to a concert because he's worried someone might challenge his views IN POLITICS.

Wow.

Re: Re: Bono & Politics Question !

BluberryPoptart said:

Well he is not like Vedder because he has more class and sense than Vedder will ever have. BUT, he does do political things at concerts. On the Elevation tour, it was VERY hard for me to hold my composure when he started dissing Charlton Heston with a video and comments during BTBS. At both concerts I was at, there were boos and cheers both when this occured. I just put my head down and held my tongue. Personally, while I do believe everyone has a right to speak out, including me, including artists, I do kind of feel it's a bit wrong to try to inflict your beliefs on a captive, paying audience in the middle of a concert most people attended for entertainment purposes.

He also preaches about AIDS and Africa and talk to your congressman, but like your friend I have no problem with that, he's getting the message out about something important to THOUSANDS of people per show. I just don't like the negative, bashing things.

So essentially, you're saying "Yeah, Bono can say whatever he wants as long as I agree with it".

That's great.

Re: Re: Re: Bono & Politics Question !

Zoorock Girl! said:

So essentially, you're saying "Yeah, Bono can say whatever he wants as long as I agree with it".

That's great.

Sigh.

NO!

I mean if it's something that can only help, like letting people know about how they can help the sick overseas, there's nothing wrong with that. But if it gets into something that takes sides on a known controversy, that is trouble that no concert needs. I don't come to concerts to 'have my views challenged' and I don't think anyone else does either, that's why I say it's not fair to hold a captive, paying audience hostage to something like that.

For the record, I am not even in the NRA, I don't own a gun and I oppose hunting for animal rights reasons. But I do think that the idea of taking away the 'right' to own guns, even for our own potential protection, is something that I fear. It's also interesting to note that most of the 'take the guns away' people are the same ones crying 'pro choice' on another issue,(which will not be mentioned by name) what, no choice for guns? Oh the hypocrisy. I would like to say now I totally agree with stammer1780 on what he/she said in the now closed 'hate Bono' thread and I'm sorry I didn't post in time to support you because you are absolutely right!:up:

One more thing on this subject, what do you guys think of Paul McCartney not allowing any meat to be eaten or leather to be worn by his tour employees? What's next, a litmus test for fans? Don't bother to come if you don't believe the same way the artist does?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bono & Politics Question !

BluberryPoptart said:

One more thing on this subject, what do you guys think of Paul McCartney not allowing any meat to be eaten or leather to be worn by his tour employees?

those are his employees. as he is paying their salaries, he can request that they act in a certain manner. its really nothing for anyone but McCartney and said employees to concern themselves with.

But I mean, it IS a way of forcing his beliefs on his employees. Don't you see that as a dangerous thing if it became a trend?

What if some bosses started making your social, political or religious beliefs matching his a prerequisite for continued employment, you'd all have a fit!

Last edited:
At the risk of taking this thread to a worse place ...

I don't think that the gun-control issue or the abortion issue are necessarily all-or-nothing situations. I think it's perfectly reasonable to support some restrictions on gun ownership and some restrictions on abortions without being hypocritical. I don't think U2 was advocating taking anyone's guns away. Actually, they never made their views clear at all, only pointing out the number of deaths because of gun violence. To say that that means that U2 advocate taking everyone's guns away is purely your interpretation.

And I know that not everyone comes to a concert to have their views challenged. However, with U2 I don't know what you expect. They have a long history of that sort of thing.

Regarding Paul McCartney, it's his show so I guess he can do what he wants. I don't think he would go as far as to try and control what his fans do, but is doing what he can to support a cause that he believes strongly in. It's not like it's some surprise he sprung on his employees. I'm sure they knew about it beforehand, and weighed its importance in their decision to take the job or not.

Last edited:
BluberryPoptart said:
But I mean, it IS a way of forcing his beliefs on his employees. Don't you see that as a dangerous thing if it became a trend?

no. its simply a condition of employment.

im a Canadian public servant. my permitted activity within Canadian political parties is limited.

some employers will submit individuals to drug tests.

these are actions taken by employers in an effort to avoid certain situations. obviously, McCartney feels deeply enough about these specific issues that he has decided they should be conditions of employment.

if potential employees don't like it, they don't have to work there.
if McCartney can't find employees of a caliber he likes, he might have to re-evaluate his conditions of employment.

I don't think Bono would say anything anti-Bush. He might - and he did on the last tour - say something on the AIDS/DATA/Africa social cause.

It's not like in the 80's where he made anti-Reagan comments or the early 90's where he prank-phoned Bush in '92.

Then again, I'm surprised people who go to see U2 are shocked to see them make the statement like the NRA snippet. (which I agree with, especiall after Colombine and similar incidents.) It's not the first, and probably not the last time U2 makes a point at their concerts. No one said fans have to like it - nor is it the band's intention to influence anyone - and certainly fans don't have to go to U2 shows if those few seconds are so troublesome.

(as for pro-life people, would that be the same people who support death penalty and are pro-guns? Hipocrisy right back at you)

While we're on the politics subject, I find it interesting that US fans have such a problem with Bono offering his view and opinion on their politics. With US history of inflicting their politics and imposing leaders of their choice to other countries I mean.

As for Paul McCartney, well, it's his show so if he wants, he can put his own rules.
Just like Madonna doesn't allow cursing at her shows, doesn't play on Fridays.

I think McCartney's stance toward his employees is a little extreme, but I also fail to see what this has to do with the subject we were discussing.

Katiegoo, I think I would tell your friend that Bono is less likely to make overt political statements on stage now than he was in the 1980s, but there's no guarantee. If the possibility bothers him that much, maybe he should just stay home and leave the seat open for someone who isn't offended by artists speaking their minds.

U2girl said:

(as for pro-life people, would that be the same people who support death penalty and are pro-guns? Hipocrisy right back at you)

For the last time, I am NOT pro life, I am anti-abortion. I support the death penalty for heinous crimes such as violent mass murders, especially of children. I am not pro gun. I already said I am anti-hunting.

Back to the subject, I still believe a concert should be for entertainment, not lectures. Unless it's something like that new tour that is being organized as anti-Bush, everyone knows that before they go so they have no right to complain.

Way to group all social conservatives in one group there. I know many pro-lifers who are also anti-death penalty ( I am one of them). Also, those three ideas mentioned there are not all equal-people who believe in the death penalty believe that the recipient warranted the punishment because of a heinous crime while a 2 month old fetus did absolutely nothing except pose as an inconvenience.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Also, those three ideas mentioned there are not all equal-people who believe in the death penalty believe that the recipient warranted the punishment because of a heinous crime while a 2 month old fetus did absolutely nothing except pose as an inconvenience.

Exactly! :up: Thanks for summing it up better than I am able! :bow:

For the record, I believe McCartney only requires his people not to eat meat when backstage. It's not like they can't eat meat at all when they're on tour, just not around him.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, I'm not 100 per cent sure.

Apparently you haven't heard about the mandatory colonoscopies McCartney personally conducts before each show. The penalty if he finds any undigested red meat is termination.

BluberryPoptart said:

For the last time, I am NOT pro life, I am anti-abortion. I support the death penalty for heinous crimes such as violent mass murders, especially of children. I am not pro gun. I already said I am anti-hunting.

Back to the subject, I still believe a concert should be for entertainment, not lectures. Unless it's something like that new tour that is being organized as anti-Bush, everyone knows that before they go so they have no right to complain.

I think you already made your stance on abortion clear in the lengthy thread in FYM, don't see why you brought it up here - I don't know about others but I personally don't like the preachy tone you had.

Anti-abortion to me is the same as pro-life if you don't approve abortion even in the extreme cases.
I will not go into details but I'm glad EU doesn't have death penalty and I don't support it.
Well, I don't think U2 was talking about hunting - I think hunters, like police or the army would still keep their weapons even if they changed the constitution?

Depends on the music and artist, really. Rock bands have always been political, starting with the 60's anti-Vietnam civil movement. U2 has never been shy of political messages either - so it's not really like their fans are shocked when it happens.

Ft Wrog: I put those together because they were all adressed in this thread. If you're anti-death penalty and pro-life, that's fine. If you're not, that's fine too - just don't present yourself or your views as correct or better like some do.
If all lives are equal, I don't see how your last point stands.

*:sigh:s yet again*

Anywho...

ThatGuy said:
To say that that means that U2 advocate taking everyone's guns away is purely your interpretation.

Exactly (and hey, here's one lefty who doesn't feel that getting rid of guns altogether will solve anything-I personally have no intention of ever owning a gun, but if you want to own one and you're responsible with it and have your license and everything, and keep it away from children and whatnot, well, then...*Shrugs*I see no reason why you can't have one around).

Originally posted by ThatGuy
And I know that not everyone comes to a concert to have their views challenged. However, with U2 I don't know what you expect. They have a long history of that sort of thing.

Again, exactly. If an artist hasn't been known for being political in the past, I can see where some people would have a problem with them suddenly becoming that way, but U2...they've been political for a long time now. Their concerts have many instances of Bono making these speeches and stuff on stage. They have politically oriented songs. So if somebody goes to a concert of theirs, they should know full well that Bono may get on a political tangent about something there, and if it bothers them...:shrug:. Don't know what to tell ya.

Angela

U2girl said:

I think you already made your stance on abortion clear in the lengthy thread in FYM, don't see why you brought it up here - I don't know about others but I personally don't like the preachy tone you had.

Thanks, U2Girl, for clarifying that this thread's author was already on a pro-life rant in a more appropriate forum. It confirmed, for, me, what I suspected as I read the thread.

The topic of this thread is not about a "friend" attending a concert who might be offended if Bono slips any political comments in. Anyone that freaking "delicate" better stay at home with the TV off for the next 3 months, cause there's going to be a lot of bashing and people (entertainers) saying things that he won't like. David Letterman's monologue might make him weep openly.

Rather, the author is seeking to start a platform here about Bono having any views at all that he expresses in concert, and how offensive they are if one happens to disagree, as he obviously would on some.

As for as I am concerned, Bono and anyone else has the right to do and say whatever he wants during the expression of his art.

As for someone being upset about a perceived slight to Charlton Heston delivered by a ridiculous quote, I advise them to stay away from any concerts at all, except perhaps Ted Nugent's.

The next 3 months wil be a bumpy ride up to the election. Toughen up; it'll get ugly. But this thread has NOTHING to do about Bono except give the author a soapbox for personal issues. It's a transparent play.

Stay home if you are that sensitive. Bono supports liberal issues, but he is nonpartisan.

LetItGo said:

Thanks, U2Girl, for clarifying that this thread's author was already on a pro-life rant in a more appropriate forum. It confirmed, for, me, what I suspected as I read the thread.

I am not this thread's author. :shrug:

I will contain what I really want to say to U2girl :rant: since it is off topic to this thread :censored: which I am NOT the author of! I was the author of the late 'people are starting to hate Bono' thread if perhaps you were confused. If you think I am 'katiegoo' the newbie, if you think I made myself a new name to start this thread, you are mistaken, and that can be proven by any mod.

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:

Katiegoo, I think I would tell your friend that Bono is less likely to make overt political statements on stage now than he was in the 1980s, but there's no guarantee. If the possibility bothers him that much, maybe he should just stay home and leave the seat open for someone who isn't offended by artists speaking their minds.

Thanks. Thank you to everyone for your input.
I wish it wasn't such a big deal to him. Like now he hates Dave Matthews because hes doing that vote for change tour and refuses to listen to him. I think its a little ridiculous. To me, the music is what matters. Hopefully I'll convince him to go...

THANKS AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom