Bomb on your radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sniggirb

Refugee
How have the singles from HTDAAB done on your radio? Here in Nova Scotia on Q104.3, Vertigo was at the top of the weekly "Rock 20 Countdown " program for around 12 weeks or something and then it was quickly replaced by ABOY which held the top spot for around 8 weeks. Now SYCMIOYO is climbing up the charts. It hasn't done as well as ABOY though and isn't on that regularily.

Uh, I don't really listen to the radio enough anymore to be able to give you any accurate info. And to tell the truth, I don't really care how it does on the radio anyway.

Yeah...i hate the radio...i can't remember the last time I actually listened to music on the radio. ....OH yeah....the last time I listened to the radio was when a radio station was having a HTDAAB day where they played all u2 for 24 hours before HTDAAB was released.

In 2 words, not good. Well, I take that back. Vertigo did very well on Modern Rock here in Ohio, but 'Sometimes' and ABOY have not fared well. I'm not surprised, though. The rock market is dying here in the U.S. It will take a miracle for U2 to get back on hit radio. Green Day is a current exception, but they're an aberation. They're being perfectly marketed to the few remaining rock tastes in the younger demographics. Age is against U2 when comparing to Green Day's current radio success. Take 'Sometimes', it's a great song that if released back in '87 would've scored highly on the charts, but in '05 it's the sound of 4 middle aged men reaching a crossroads in life and that ='s NO CHANCE on radio. To U2's credit, they sound their age. I have huge respect for that. They could very easily try to pretend they're 25 and maybe pull a hit out of they're ass, but they don't. Now as for future singles from this album, I predict none of them will do well at radio. They just don't fit anywhere in the current marketplace that radio caters to. Ironically, everyone's most hated song AMAAW has the best chance I think to become a radio hit because it's a motherly chick song. Motherly chicks have a niche in the current marketplace. It's called adult contemporary.

Here in Ottawa, I hear SYCMIOYO and Vertigo almost daily on the 3 stations I listen to...106.9 the Bear (Rock Mix), CHEZ 106 (classic rock) and Bob FM (mix). ABOY was in heavy rotation for a while but not as often now. COBL is beginning to get decent airplay here.

It's basically as if they don't exist...but that's not just U2, that's the whole genre...rock is on life support right now.

Dunno how it's doing on the charts, but I've only heard "Vertigo" on the radio. I haven't listened to radio since "Vertigo" came out, though...

radio sucks. i haven't listened to it in like, 10 years, so :shrug:

Vertigo was "song of the week" on our most popular radio station, and I heard Sometimes you can't make it on your own in our grocery store and gasoline pump 4 times.

Pretty good so far!

The radio sucks, the last time i listened to music on it was 5 months ago when they played One, so I highered the volume.

The only "alternative" rock station here in Wilmington (southeastern NC) gave Vertigo a decent amount of airplay & I still hear it occasionally. ABOY started off nicely, but I haven't heard it in over a month or more now. I heard Sometimes the day of its release & I've heard it maybe once since then... :down:
The only way I'll hear current U2 around here is by loading up my CD player - which I do on a regular basis! :D

It's a shame, too. Granted, I'm terribly biased, but ABOY & LAPOE if nothing else on the album are completely worthy of being played along with Green Day, Incubus, Oasis, Papa Roach, No Address, etc, etc, etc.

I can't help but think that if the guys were younger they would be getting a LOT more airplay - and that really bites. :madspit:

Luckily rock seems to do better in my city than hip hop and all that other jazz. For that I am eternally greatfull.

Back
Top Bottom