Are U2 fake? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2002, 01:40 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Normal Are U2 fake?

So.... are they? How do you know? How do you know that after AB they had nothing new / original to say for two albums and pretty much made the same album over again.. and that they used the excuses of needing Fly as a "mask" to protect them from the media after R&H when really they wanted to attract more people.. and how do you know that when Bono throws himself into a song and you hear the "shine like stars" at the end of WOWY it isn't just a stage performance to get more people into the songs? In one breath Bono says he doesn't need old fans, in the next he says he does- how do we know what is true? And how can you justify Zooropa just wasn't the end of the line from AB with nothing new sonically, just stretching out the same theme and same sound.. until it snapped (went Pop!)? Just because Bono says "we're the same guys underneath" and the lyrics are heavy, how do you know they didn't do the whole flashing lights, sensory overload, enormous intimidating action-movie like sets in order to attract a different crowd and expand their following?

I'm serious- how can you prove they aren't all just an act in the name of getting more fans, more money in the long run? Can you prove it?

Old 06-15-2002, 02:08 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 04:53 PM
In music, nothing besides music theory is solid, the musical experiance is entirely personal interpretation and person feelings. You cannot prove the motives or the creative intentions. It's up to the listener whether AB or Zooropa were really original or expressive, and not purely for fan-grabbing. However, I feel that one cannot deny the intense emotional experiance Bono has on stage.

Old 06-15-2002, 02:40 AM   #3
Kid A

Local Time: 07:53 PM

sorry, but Zooropa and Pop do not sound like Achtung Baby
Old 06-15-2002, 02:41 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 PM
If they were fake they could of went to the bank a long time ago and rested on the millions they made in the 80's. They've continued to grow as musicians and artists. I've never sensed anything fake from U2. I've sensed irony, honesty, and self parody.

Fake rock stars never make it anyways. Not as long as U2 have.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:44 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 PM
and oh yeah, the whole idea behind the Fly and ZOO TV was to go crazy, be outrageous and destroy everything the media thought they were in the 80's. Yes it was a retaliation against the bad press, but it was also to get away from the image they shaped in the 80s. And of COURSE THEY WANTED NEW FANS. They've always wanted new fans with each album they put out. They've always gained new fans.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:58 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by david
If they were fake they could of went to the bank a long time ago and rested on the millions they made in the 80's.
I don't have the exact quote, but one time Larry (I think? Maybe Bono.. not sure) said that they actually didn't make much money at all until The Joshua Tree was released -- they SAW the money, but never got any of it, and when they did get money, it was split 4 ways. So, they would probably not have been able to live off of what they made in the 80's.

Yeah yeah.. I'm a know-it-all. :P
Old 06-15-2002, 04:50 AM   #7
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Re: Are U2 fake?

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
and how do you know that when Bono throws himself into a song and you hear the "shine like stars" at the end of WOWY it isn't just a stage performance to get more people into the songs?
it is a stage performance that's why we like to refere to a it as a show / performance
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-15-2002, 06:00 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Well, no one can really know what's going on in other people's hearts and minds, and sometimes we even lie to ourselves about what's really going on inside, so in the end you're left with your own feelings and interpretations of what other people said or done. Though I think it's safe to say that whatever we do in life is motivated by our desire to look good, to other people or ourselves.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:19 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

haha.. very interesting. thanks

I was having this discussion with a friend of mine who loved the band because of AB and then "hated" them because of Zooropa and Pop. I wanted to see if anyone else had any arguments I hadn't used.... I like MiniFly's- in the fact that you could say nothing is heartfelt that anyone does, and you have to try to form an opinion from what you read about the band and their music and what you know about them. Unless you want to be a cyncial bastard in which case to you.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:34 AM   #10
POP for GIRLS

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
sorry, but Zooropa and Pop do not sound like Achtung Baby
No way!

If U2 were fake, they would be constantly capitalizing on fads. Like they'd have been hair metal in '87, Grunge in '92, and rap metal in 2000. They are not fake and that's what's so great about them. Of course, we know Olive loves U2 and doesn't think they are fake, this is only for the sake of discussion because some misinformed journalists may have said things like that, right?
Old 06-15-2002, 10:47 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl

No way!

If U2 were fake, they would be constantly capitalizing on fads. Like they'd have been hair metal in '87, Grunge in '92, and rap metal in 2000. They are not fake and that's what's so great about them. Of course, we know Olive loves U2 and doesn't think they are fake, this is only for the sake of discussion because some misinformed journalists may have said things like that, right?
Of course! My u2 faith was never in question it wasn't a journalist but a friend. He's been a hard shell to crack but I got him for an hour in the car yesterday so I we talked a lot about them! (I hadn't been joking when I told him i could talk the whole way home about this band, and then some!!) His basic gripe was that Zoo/ Pop was the EASY route to take after AB.. sonicallly similar and stuff, which is so odd b/c i've never come across that opinion before.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:12 AM   #12
POP for GIRLS

I thought that was it
Old 06-15-2002, 12:31 PM   #13
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

I always thought they were just those animatronic cardboard cutout thingies. Are you guys trying to say that they're not?

::runs away, crying::

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:48 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
I always thought they were just those animatronic cardboard cutout thingies. Are you guys trying to say that they're not?

::runs away, crying::
[color=royal blue]LMAOOOOO They perform Disney World with banjos......WOW OK I'm delirious from Melpop's story still....[/color]
Old 06-15-2002, 01:57 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't have any physical evidence that they're not fake, but I think it's about faith, about KNOWING they're not. I don't think you can "fake" genuine caring and genuine heart. Nobody's that good of an actor.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:30 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Of course U2 are fake! That's why we all love them so much - because they've been fooling people for 20 years now! Suckers!

I don't try converting people any more. I just ask them which artists they like and once informed, I mock and tease them until my voice is hoarse and they are sitting in a puddle of tears. Then I play some U2.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:42 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
Of course U2 are fake! That's why we all love them so much - because they've been fooling people for 20 years now! Suckers!

I don't try converting people any more. I just ask them which artists they like and once informed, I mock and tease them until my voice is hoarse and they are sitting in a puddle of tears. Then I play some U2.

I like this method!!
Old 06-15-2002, 04:05 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't think that U2 are fake! I think that they are great performers and a great band. A lot of the groups look and act fake likes its all about the money with them. I don't feel that way about U2.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:38 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 12:53 AM

As a fan for over 20 years, I can't think of ONE time that I thought this band was "fake" in any way. Try to remember that these guys are human too. They began this crusade when they "were 15, 16....Larry was 14, still is". There are times when a celebraty, no matter who they are, will have their words and the meanings they had behind them taken out of context. They've been true to themselves. PopMart was the result of pressure!...And, they said they'll never do that again, and I believe that they won't. I don't think any of their albums have come on the shirttails of the one prior to it. Nobody truly knows if they ARE or ARE NOT fake except those close to them. However, I haven't seen any indication of this.....and fact, I keep seeing more reasons to believe that they are really TRUE.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:47 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elevatedmole

I don't have the exact quote, but one time Larry (I think? Maybe Bono.. not sure) said that they actually didn't make much money at all until The Joshua Tree was released -- they SAW the money, but never got any of it, and when they did get money, it was split 4 ways. So, they would probably not have been able to live off of what they made in the 80's.

Yeah yeah.. I'm a know-it-all. :P
i believe the quote belongs to Sparky. i have to dbl check my info though.