am i the only one who...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
Really loves every single U2 album? I read posts on here all the time about the post from the Pop fans, the ones that hate ATYCLB, and the ones that love "old" U2. I think all of that is great and its cool to see many people who like so many different things about all their albums.
With that said i truly think all 10 studio albums are great. I love everyone of them and listen to them all lots. I may go through a period of months where i don't really want to listen to some, but in the end I always come back to everyone of them at different times. There are so very few songs that I would consider bad U2 songs, maybe 10 total that i routinely skip when listening to any of the discs. I'm just suprised when i hear someone talk about the boring parts of each album, or the horrid songs (i really like playboy mansion, tttyaatw, when i look at the world, grace, etc.) like i said before i think they only have a handful of bad songs. i would take the "bad" U2 songs over just about any other bands best songs.
I guess my view of U2 comes partly from growing up with U2, buying UF in 1986, and being a fan every since. I feel like I went through a lot of their stages with them, but never once felt betrayed or upset by their direction.
My point is simply this is the best band in the world, and I don't really care what direction they go on the next album because there is a track record of 10/10 as far as I'm concerned and I don't see any reason that will change.

Last edited:
i've said this before also, I love every u2 album. The only one that I never totally fell in love with was "October." It is a great album, it just never grew on me like all the others.

likewise, i love every U2 album, but the only one that is slow to grow on me is 'october'. thats changing though- ive been listening to 'i threw a brick through a window' very cool song.

i became a hardcore fan in '01 and listened to most of the albums at once, so i didnt have to wait and witness the changes, speculation and the impatient times only to hear a different U2 than expected. i can see where some people feel differently about certain albums or eras because just when youre accustomed to the sounds theyve arrived at - BOOM - new sound, reinvented and sorta takes some getting used to.

I like every album, pretty much all equally except for ATYCLB- it took me a while to get into POP, but finally I did but with ATYCLB it just never has grown on me....but apart from that all U2 albums have a special and unique significance to me:wink:

I love them all. I love some more equally than others, though.

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD! :applaud:

I have been following U2 since 1981 (first heard "Boy" in 1980) and I LOVE EVERY SINGLE ALBUM THAT U2 HAS GIVEN US.:yes:

Yes, some have been "better" than others, but each of them have ADDED SOMETHING UNIQUE TO MY LIFE. :up:

U2 has never followed the mainstream (even the mainstream opinion of their "fans") and I ADMIRE THEM FOR THAT. :angel:

While we can all have our opinions about what songs/albums we might like better than others, I think that all this overanalysis of U2's music MISSES THE POINT.

U2 's music comes from the inner depths of their hearts and souls - it is a glimpse of who they are at the time of the recording.

As we all change and hopefully develope our humanity, we will not stay the same people we were 20 years ago. We will express ourselves differently - but that should NOT DIMINISH THE VALIDITY OF WHAT WE SAY.

:wink:

Personally, I look forward to the new music from U2 not to compare it to their other albums or to overanalysis Bono's every lyric, but SIMPLY TO ENJOY IT, LEARN FROM IT and TO KEEP IT IN MY HEART to inspire me as every other U2 album has always done! :hug:

No, jphelmet, there are a lot of us who agree with you.

I love all their albums, but especially like their work from 1984-1993 (UF to Zooropa). That's when they managed to consistently capture a magic for me. That said, I think Pop and ATYCLB are both very good albums, both of which I enjoy for entirely different reasons from each other. Pop because it is so different in sound from any other U2 record, because it's really ahead of its time, and ATYCLB because it's always been there for me when I needed it.

you're not alone jphelmet **adds her name to the list of satisfied customers and believers**
U2 are unique and wonderful and consistent

I wouldn't say I love every single album but would say that I can find something to love in every single album.

mofo82 said:

i became a hardcore fan in '01 and listened to most of the albums at once, so i didnt have to wait and witness the changes, speculation and the impatient times only to hear a different U2 than expected. i can see where some people feel differently about certain albums or eras because just when youre accustomed to the sounds theyve arrived at - BOOM - new sound, reinvented and sorta takes some getting used to.

me too! (on becomming a hardcore fan in 2001). I agree that I didn't have to adjust to new sounds since they were already created. I enjoy all of U2 and there is a song to fit my every mood. It took me a long time to get into Boy but now it is actually one of my top U2 albums.

Same here (the 2001 thing). Except I still don't have all their albums. I've never heard October or Boy (Or Passengers, UABRS, or Wide Awake in America, for that matter) so I really can't say much, except how dare anyone say bad things about AYCLB? Shame on you! :madspit:

I think in the end we love all their albums. It's just that I find you're critical about the things that really move you and you care deeply for. So in the end, we are some of u2's biggest critics. That's why we discuss "achtung baby vs. Joshua Tree" and definetly, even repetatively, "Pop vs. ATYCLB." In the end, we love all of their work, although some more than others. I think "Achtung Baby" is hands down the greatest album ever created, but I still love all their other records.

Last edited:
jphelmet said:
I may go through a period of months where i don't really want to listen to some, but in the end I always come back to everyone of them at different times.

I agree with all you've posted except in my case it just a matter of days, no hours that I can go without listening to one of their albums. :ohmy: I get a song in my head and I can't be satisfied untill I hear the cd then one leads to another. I can't explain why I don't get burnt out on their music - and I've never done this with any other group. I have lots of other music interest/cd's but nearly every other cd I play is U2.
Guess I just love them, cause I have no plans to change the way I feel.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom