All that you can't leave behind--is awesome!! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh_OMG
HTDAAB is far better than ATYCLB.......
QFB!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #82
roy
Refugee

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

QFB!
GAL.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #83
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:59 PM
???? translation for a poor swiss....
Old 11-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Seriously, only Miracle Drug, OOTS and Yahweh can be compared with the highlights of ATYCLB.

On the other hand, New York is worse than anything on HTDAAB.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I think this album would be a classic with just a few minor changes.

1. Change track order and improve flow. Stuck In A Moment is too much of a change of pace from BD.

2. Improve lyrics in parts... life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement... well it's been, been, been a little while etc.

3. Include underrated gems like Levitate and The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

4. Change the intro to Walk On to make it exactly like the single version (on "7") but keep the 'Home' verse. Much much better.

Things like that... oh man, now I'm tempted to make up a revised track order. Watch this space.
My 100% accurate vision about ATYCLB.
My perfect ATYCLB would be something like...

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation (no Lara Croft mix and that stupid Influx mix, I like the album version as it is)
3. Walk on (maybe with a different ending, something similar to the live version)
4. Kite
5. Summer rain
6. Wild Honey
7. Levitate (rework some lines in the lyrics like the "top of the baby's head" one)
8. In a little while
9. Stuck in a moment you can't get out of (no acoustic version, that one can be kept as a b-side, the album version is beautiful as it is)
10. New York
11. The ground beneath her feet (it fits perfectly here)
12. Grace (the most underrated on the album and one of the most beautiful and meaningful there. It fits perfect as the closer)

WILATW, Big Girls Are Best, Always, Stateless, LYLM and Flower Child can be kept aside as b-sides or whatever...
Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by AtomicBono

Beautiful Day is the quintessential U2 song. It may not be their best, but it is THE song that defines who they are, imo. Uplifting, heart on sleeve, bittersweet, chiming guitar, driving rhythm section, Bono falsetto, big chorus... it's all there.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:20 PM   #87
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Seriously, only Miracle Drug, OOTS and Yahweh can be compared with the highlights of ATYCLB.

I think 'City of Blinding Lights' can also stand up to most of ATYCLB.

This comparison does not include live versions, acoustic versions, or those versions recorded on Venus....just the album versions:

ATYCLB

Beatiful Day - 9
Stuck in a Moment - 8.5
Elevation - 7.5
Walk On - 9.5
Kite - 9.8 (the last verse keeps it from being a classic 10)
In A Little While - 9
Wild Honey - 8
Peace on Earth - 7.5
When I Look at the World - 8
New York - 7.5
Grace - 7.5

Total score: 8.3

HTDAAB

Vertigo - 8
Miracle Drug - 8
Sometimes You Can't Make It - 8.5
Love and Peace - 8
City of Blinding Lights - 9
All Because of You - 7.5
A Man and a Woman - 7
Crumbs From Your Table - 8.5
One Step Closer - 8.5
Original of the Species - 9
Yahweh - 7

Total score: 8.1

Winner: ATYCLB

So despite HTDAAB being the more consistent album, it never reaches the hights of ATYCLB. I will take "hights" over consistency anyday, which is why I love albums like The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Zooropa.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #88
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by roy
The 2nd half of ATYCLB is the weakest of all U2 albums IMO.
No half of ATYCLB can compare to the pure horror of UF's 2nd side.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:15 AM   #89
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

I have to agree. I always though ATYCLB was way better. HTDAAB just doesn't do it for me like ATYCLB does. Hate to say it but it seems a bit generic..still U2 half-assing it packs more meaning and depth than 90 percent of music out there on the radio.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:29 AM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

No half of ATYCLB can compare to the pure horror of UF's 2nd side.
Say what? Even with some of the stuff that's on their it has Bad and MLK

Also, as good as JT and AB? Not even close, and I'm a big fan of (most of) ATYCLB.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #91
Refugee

ATYCLB isn't awesome but its a wee bit better than HTDAAB
Old 11-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #92
The Fly

Local Time: 04:59 AM
I've been listening to ATYCLB almost obsessively over the past year. When it first came out I liked it alot, but in a casual way. Then I started really listening into it, getting into it, and it has so much to offer -- on all levels. "Peace on Earth" -- gets me every time now... ... but in a good way. "Grace" is my current favorite - its brilliant!!

I love HTDAAB too, but I agree with Larry when he said in U2 by U2 that it doesn't have the same emotional range/depth as ATTCLB.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:27 PM   #93
ONE
love, blood, life

As awesome as an Awesome Blossom?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:59 PM
no, an awesome possum!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #95
The Fly

U2 are cool
Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #96
you are what you is

Local Time: 01:59 PM
I listened to this album again today and it might actually be their best one

a shame it's a bit too difficult for most people here to get it
but I have faith that its many layers will become apparent to each and everyone of you
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by The Edge 1988
U2 are cool

Dude, you've got to stop digging up old threads, especially for pointless posts like this one.

There's been a thread on this topic on the first page of this forum for the last several days:

http://forum.interference.com/t170079.html
Old 12-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #98
Refugee

I think ATYCLB is U2's most calming album. You really feel at ease with life after listening, which is saying a lot. It's good to experience different emotions. The lasting impression after ATYCLB is one of joy, which is ironic because (in my opinion) it is lyrically an album dealing with grief (aided furthermore because of its resonance after 9/11), but anywho, it's an amazing album in that respect.

I truly believe that U2 were putting their hearts into the music during that time. The music feels real. Sure...I'm as cynical as the next person, and you can easilly say that it was a SELL OUT, MAINSTREAMY, SAFE in its approach. But I truly believe that the music was carved out of U2's soul. It just happened to be very poppy by accident (and pop isn't a bad thing by any means).

That's why the BOMB rattles my chain. I feel they were onto something truly unique, trying to capture a rockier, punkier, dirtier, darker, more garage band type of feel, but in the end backed out and shoved their "would-be" rock album thru the ATYCLB pop filter. And I'm not saying that to knock ATYCLB in any way. For what it was and is, ATYCLB was a necessary and emotional pop experience. U2 sounded happy, and as a result I felt happy. It's just frustrating, because HTDAAB sounds like a rushed effort (even tho timewise it wasn't) to match the pop success of ATYCLB. It is the first time in U2's career where they really didn't try anything different. It wasn't about furthering the music, it was about furthering the success.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. I'm sure they will be many who disagree, but that's why we're here.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by ozeeko
I think ATYCLB is U2's most calming album. You really feel at ease with life after listening, which is saying a lot. It's good to experience different emotions. The lasting impression after ATYCLB is one of joy, which is ironic because (in my opinion) it is lyrically an album dealing with grief (aided furthermore because of its resonance after 9/11), but anywho, it's an amazing album in that respect.

I truly believe that U2 were putting their hearts into the music during that time. The music feels real. Sure...I'm as cynical as the next person, and you can easilly say that it was a SELL OUT, MAINSTREAMY, SAFE in its approach. But I truly believe that the music was carved out of U2's soul. It just happened to be very poppy by accident (and pop isn't a bad thing by any means).

That's why the BOMB rattles my chain. I feel they were onto something truly unique, trying to capture a rockier, punkier, dirtier, darker, more garage band type of feel, but in the end backed out and shoved their "would-be" rock album thru the ATYCLB pop filter. And I'm not saying that to knock ATYCLB in any way. For what it was and is, ATYCLB was a necessary and emotional pop experience. U2 sounded happy, and as a result I felt happy. It's just frustrating, because HTDAAB sounds like a rushed effort (even tho timewise it wasn't) to match the pop success of ATYCLB. It is the first time in U2's career where they really didn't try anything different. It wasn't about furthering the music, it was about furthering the success.

Anyway, this is all my opinion. I'm sure they will be many who disagree, but that's why we're here.

Oh I agree

ATYCLB