All that you can't leave behind--is awesome!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ATYCLB was my first U2 album and Elevation was my first song to hear by them. They opened a whole new world to me and changed everything. I'll always appreciate it. :wink:

Lancemc said:
I've been saying it for years. ATYCLB IS a masterpiece. :yes:

Great first half with Stuck, Walk on, Kite, BD and In a little while.

But it doesn't keep up.

Also they should have done the pop album idea all the way.

BD
Elevation
Walk on
Kite
IALW
Stuck
Summer rain
Wild honey
Levitate
Are you gonna wait forever
Falling at your feet

I also love ATYCLB but "when i look at the world" and "peace on earth" just arent cutting it for me.

New york is cool and i also like Grace (and the ground beneath her feet) and the rest rocks but those two songs i just cant get into.

I've never seen so much love for ATYCLB from hardcore fans before. While it isn't my favorite, the first half is just awesome, but I'm also a huge fan of Peace on Earth...criminally under-rated.

I am listening to this right now:

Beautiful Day
Xanax and Wine
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stuck in a Moment Acoustic
Walk On
Kite
Electrical Storm
In Alittle While
Wild Honey
When I Look at the World
Peace on Earth
Levitate
Window In the Skies
Elevation
New York (Live version from Boston DVD)

MrBrau1 said:
"NY" is 100X better live, and the recorded version pales in contrast.

Very true. The end of New York live is :drool: tied with BD for best live song from ATYCLB, imo. I like the album version of New York too, though. I don't understand why so many fans hate it. I think it's one of the best songs! Eerie verses, big chorus... the live ending does add a lot though.

I absolutely adore ATYCLB. I think it's as good as JT and Zooropa, I really do. Perhaps it's just all the memories I have of the album, but it has this warmth to it that no other U2 album quite has. I can't stress how much I love this album enough. Listening to the solo from When I Look at the World... :heart: one of the best moments on the album.

there are days this could almost be my favourite U2 album. there is no ATYCLB hate from me. the production on Stuck is kinda eh, but I've grown used to it. I suppose I prefer the acoustic version in the end, but I love the album version too.

Beautiful Day and Walk On are two of U2's most uplifting songs.

Also, Summer Rain is one of U2's best b-sides ever, and really should have been on ATYCLB. I don't know if Ground Beneath Her Feet really fits on ATYCLB, but it's also one of my favourite U2 songs. The ending to that song is, as Bono would say, "wow. wow. wow. extraordinary."

I am in an ATYCLB appreciating mood!

"Stuck In A Moment" is so underrated.......it's a shame that the majority of fanatics, who supposedly love the "experimental era" don't love what's one of their most unconventional tunes.

BigMacPhisto said:
"Stuck In A Moment" is so underrated.......it's a shame that the majority of fanatics, who supposedly love the "experimental era" don't love what's one of their most unconventional tunes.

:yes: never got the Stuck hate either. It's a beautiful song.

and I absolutely love the riff from In a Little While...one of Edge's best guitar parts

BigMacPhisto said:

I think Stuck in an amazing song. U2 fans who don't love it should be sent to jail.

It's my fave album, the one that got me into them in the first place. If I were to give any album to a person who wanted to know their sound this one would be it--it's intimate, soulful, beautiful, honest, and hopeful, full of hope. During the era of boy bands it really saved me musically:wink:

LMBLover said:
It's my fave album, the one that got me into them in the first place. If I were to give any album to a person who wanted to know their sound this one would be it--it's intimate, soulful, beautiful, honest, and hopeful, full of hope. During the era of boy bands it really saved me musically:wink:

beautifully put - and same here. I've been a fan since Pop but there was awhile when I was really into boybands and pop music and all that, so when ATYCLB came out it kind of turned me away from all that and solidified U2 as my #1. Really, it was ATYCLB that helped me have good taste in music. I wouldn't have gotten so much into rock without it.

Beautiful Day is the quintessential U2 song. It may not be their best, but it is THE song that defines who they are, imo. Uplifting, heart on sleeve, bittersweet, chiming guitar, driving rhythm section, Bono falsetto, big chorus... it's all there.

Seriously, only Miracle Drug, OOTS and Yahweh can be compared with the highlights of ATYCLB.

On the other hand, New York is worse than anything on HTDAAB.

Zootlesque said:
I think this album would be a classic with just a few minor changes.

1. Change track order and improve flow. Stuck In A Moment is too much of a change of pace from BD.

2. Improve lyrics in parts... life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement... well it's been, been, been a little while etc.

3. Include underrated gems like Levitate and The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

4. Change the intro to Walk On to make it exactly like the single version (on "7") but keep the 'Home' verse. Much much better.

Things like that... oh man, now I'm tempted to make up a revised track order. Watch this space. ;)

My 100% accurate vision about ATYCLB.
My perfect ATYCLB would be something like...

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation (no Lara Croft mix and that stupid Influx mix, I like the album version as it is)
3. Walk on (maybe with a different ending, something similar to the live version)
4. Kite
5. Summer rain
6. Wild Honey
7. Levitate (rework some lines in the lyrics like the "top of the baby's head" one)
8. In a little while
9. Stuck in a moment you can't get out of (no acoustic version, that one can be kept as a b-side, the album version is beautiful as it is)
10. New York
11. The ground beneath her feet (it fits perfectly here)
12. Grace (the most underrated on the album and one of the most beautiful and meaningful there. It fits perfect as the closer)

WILATW, Big Girls Are Best, Always, Stateless, LYLM and Flower Child can be kept aside as b-sides or whatever...

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:

Beautiful Day is the quintessential U2 song. It may not be their best, but it is THE song that defines who they are, imo. Uplifting, heart on sleeve, bittersweet, chiming guitar, driving rhythm section, Bono falsetto, big chorus... it's all there.
:yes:

U2Man said:
Seriously, only Miracle Drug, OOTS and Yahweh can be compared with the highlights of ATYCLB.

I think 'City of Blinding Lights' can also stand up to most of ATYCLB.

This comparison does not include live versions, acoustic versions, or those versions recorded on Venus....just the album versions:

ATYCLB

Beatiful Day - 9
Stuck in a Moment - 8.5
Elevation - 7.5
Walk On - 9.5
Kite - 9.8 (the last verse keeps it from being a classic 10)
In A Little While - 9
Wild Honey - 8
Peace on Earth - 7.5
When I Look at the World - 8
New York - 7.5
Grace - 7.5

Total score: 8.3

HTDAAB

Vertigo - 8
Miracle Drug - 8
Sometimes You Can't Make It - 8.5
Love and Peace - 8
City of Blinding Lights - 9
All Because of You - 7.5
A Man and a Woman - 7
Crumbs From Your Table - 8.5
One Step Closer - 8.5
Original of the Species - 9
Yahweh - 7

Total score: 8.1

Winner: ATYCLB

So despite HTDAAB being the more consistent album, it never reaches the hights of ATYCLB. I will take "hights" over consistency anyday, which is why I love albums like The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, and Zooropa.

U2Man said:

I have to agree. I always though ATYCLB was way better. HTDAAB just doesn't do it for me like ATYCLB does. Hate to say it but it seems a bit generic..still U2 half-assing it packs more meaning and depth than 90 percent of music out there on the radio.

LemonMelon said:

No half of ATYCLB can compare to the pure horror of UF's 2nd side. :no:

Say what? Even with some of the stuff that's on their it has Bad and MLK :drool:

Also, as good as JT and AB? Not even close, and I'm a big fan of (most of) ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom