All that you can't leave behind--is awesome!! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #41
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Slowloris-ville, Western Indonesia
Posts: 785
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by theoriginal
I really dislike the piano/spoken intro on the album version. I do like the "home" verse or whatever it is. The ending is what really does it for me live. The version that blows me away is the Tribute to Heroes version. Makes my hair stand up on end every time.
Yeah, I like the Heroes version, and the ending of the live version is great. It's just that almost every live (full band) version I've heard sounds...well, how do I put it....washed over, almost a mish mash, almost disjointed? I don't know how to put it. Just listen to the Boston and Slane DVDs. It's like the melody is always trying to catch up with the arrangement (or maybe it's the other way around, the arangement is always trying to catch up with the melody). That's probably the best way I can put it.
__________________

The Slow Loris is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 02:29 PM
i love the piano intro on the single
__________________

U2Man is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 01:29 PM
The whole album is a instant classic.
vaz02 is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:29 PM
I think this album would be a classic with just a few minor changes.

1. Change track order and improve flow. Stuck In A Moment is too much of a change of pace from BD.

2. Improve lyrics in parts... life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement... well it's been, been, been a little while etc.

3. Include underrated gems like Levitate and The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

4. Change the intro to Walk On to make it exactly like the single version (on "7") but keep the 'Home' verse. Much much better.

Things like that... oh man, now I'm tempted to make up a revised track order. Watch this space.
Zoots is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
1stepcloser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 3,764
Local Time: 02:29 PM
I love In A Little While and Kite. Beautiful songs. I still don't think ATYCLB makes it into my top 5 U2 albums though.
1stepcloser is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #46
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Slowloris-ville, Western Indonesia
Posts: 785
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I think this album would be a classic with just a few minor changes.

2. Improve lyrics in parts... life should be fragrant, rooftop to the basement... etc.

I love that line.

Did I waste it?
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement




It's a beautiful idea, one which I'm sure we'd all love to live up to.
The Slow Loris is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
vaz02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: manchester
Posts: 7,447
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Slow Loris

I love that line.

Did I waste it?
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement




It's a beautiful idea, one which I'm sure we'd all love to live up to.
I love it too.
vaz02 is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Oh My God!!!!

Intro to Walk On (single version) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Intro to any other version!

I guess it's the piano

Why didn't they include the "Home" verse in the single version???


Zoots is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Oh My God!!!!

Intro to Walk On (single version) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Intro to any other version!

I guess it's the piano

Why didn't they include the "Home" verse in the single version???


Haven't you heard that before now?

I don't want to hear a single negative word about Walk On from you ever again
U2Man is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

Haven't you heard that before now?

I don't want to hear a single negative word about Walk On from you ever again
Dude, I've heard it before. Just listened to it again and felt like ranting as to why it was not included on the album!

And for the record, I haven't been negative about Walk On for a long long time! Have always considered it one of thier best songs.
Zoots is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 07:40 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 08:29 AM
it really is a good album. I may even listen to it tonight and I haven't listened to U2 in a long, long time. It's not my favorite kind of music but it's seriously good pop for what it is. I do prefer the live versions of Beautiful Day, Elevation, and Walk On by a lot, and the acoustic b-side version of Stuck is so superior it's not even funny.

The only song I really just dislike is When I Look at the World, cannot get into it at all. If only it was replaced with Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Lyrically it's not mindblowing but would you really want In A Little While to have Zooropa-like lyrics (the song)? They're perfect for the music, and the sort of clunky lyrics on Grace are sweet and funny in a good way rather than embarrassing like some of the lines off HTDAAB.

I dunno I rarely have the desire to actually listen to this album but thinking about it I agree it's very nice.
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:29 PM
VG's post.

VG, if you haven't heard Stuck In A Moment (The J Mix), a beautiful seamless mix of the acoustic and album versions that an Interferencer here once created, let me know. It's perfect.

Okay, here it is.. *drumroll please* what I think is the perfect All That You Can't Leave Behind... at least going by how I'm feeling today

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND (EXTENDED VERSION)[list=1][*]Beautiful Day[*]Elevation[*]The Ground Beneath Her Feet[*]Walk On (single version)[*]Kite[*]Stuck In A Moment (The J Mix) - acoustic & album blended[*]Levitate[*]Summer Rain[*]Flower Child[*]Love You Like Mad[*]In A Little While[*]Wild Honey[*]Stateless[*]Peace On Earth[*]When I Look At The World[*]New York[*]Walk On (Hallelujah version w/ "Home" verse)[*]Grace[/list=1]

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - MORE FEASIBLE VERSION (How it should've been released)[list=1][*]Beautiful Day[*]Elevation[*]The Ground Beneath Her Feet[*]Walk On[*]Kite[*]Stuck In A Moment[*]In A Little While[*]Wild Honey[*]Peace On Earth[*]When I Look At The World[*]New York[*]Grace[/list=1]

Had to repeat Walk On in the Extended Version because the single version is too good to be ommitted and the other version has the beautiful "Home" verse and guitar solo.

Anyway... thoughts?
Zoots is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life
 
one4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bono's Sleeves
Posts: 12,541
Local Time: 08:29 AM
One of my favorite albums with one of my most favorite underrated song: When I look At The World
one4u2 is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
VertigoGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: I'm never alone (I'm alone all the time)
Posts: 9,860
Local Time: 08:29 AM
I'd say

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
In a Little While
Stuck (acoustic)
Wild Honey
Peace on Earth
New York
Ground Beneath Her Feet
Grace

just made that up off the top of my head so it's quite possibly shit.

I've never heard the single version of Walk On, so if someone wants to PM me that'd be cool. just saying



damn I'm listening to Walk On for the first time in awhile and remembering when I first heard it and how it helped me get through a tough summer and I'm about to get all teary guyz.
VertigoGal is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #55
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Slowloris-ville, Western Indonesia
Posts: 785
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
VG's post.

VG, if you haven't heard Stuck In A Moment (The J Mix), a beautiful seamless mix of the acoustic and album versions that an Interferencer here once created, let me know. It's perfect.

Okay, here it is.. *drumroll please* what I think is the perfect All That You Can't Leave Behind... at least going by how I'm feeling today

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND (EXTENDED VERSION)[list=1][*]Beautiful Day[*]Elevation[*]The Ground Beneath Her Feet[*]Walk On (single version)[*]Kite[*]Stuck In A Moment (The J Mix) - acoustic & album blended[*]Levitate[*]Summer Rain[*]Flower Child[*]Love You Like Mad[*]In A Little While[*]Wild Honey[*]Stateless[*]Peace On Earth[*]When I Look At The World[*]New York[*]Walk On (Hallelujah version w/ "Home" verse)[*]Grace[/list=1]

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND - MORE FEASIBLE VERSION (How it should've been released)[list=1][*]Beautiful Day[*]Elevation[*]The Ground Beneath Her Feet[*]Walk On[*]Kite[*]Stuck In A Moment[*]In A Little While[*]Wild Honey[*]Peace On Earth[*]When I Look At The World[*]New York[*]Grace[/list=1]

Had to repeat Walk On in the Extended Version because the single version is too good to be ommitted and the other version has the beautiful "Home" verse and guitar solo.

Anyway... thoughts?
Re: the 2nd set, I agree with putting 'Elevation' after 'Beautiful Day', but I would rather see 'Wild Honey' after 'Stuck in a Moment'. It's a great transition that makes 'Wild Honey' sound like single material. I've never liked 'Wild Honey' after IALW. I aslo think 'Stateless' and a re-worked 'Levitate' would have given the album the variety it needed to be considered a true classic.
The Slow Loris is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Slow Loris
I would rather see 'Wild Honey' after 'Stuck in a Moment'. It's a great transition that makes 'Wild Honey' sound like single material.
Interesting. I'll have to try this out.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Slow Loris
I also think 'Stateless' and a re-worked 'Levitate' would have given the album the variety it needed to be considered a true classic.
So true! But it's hard to fit everything into 12 songs, the number that U2 don't like to go over.
Zoots is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #57
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Slowloris-ville, Western Indonesia
Posts: 785
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


Interesting. I'll have to try this out.



So true! But it's hard to fit everything into 12 songs, the number that U2 don't like to go over.
I know! For a band so obsessed with the Beatles, you'd think they wouldn't mind putting out a 14 or 15 track album now and then! (But to be fair, Beatles songs are about 3 minutes long on average.)
The Slow Loris is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #58
Refugee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,089
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Acoustic Stuck is so superior to the album version. I'd have included that and Ground Beneath Her Feet (maybe the best 2000-era song) on there too.
Sleep Over Jack is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 10:38 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 08:29 AM
ATYCLB is better if U2 beef up "Peace On Earth." Or make it acoustic or piano based. "NY" is 100X better live, and the recorded version pales in contrast. Arrange the tune like the live version, and it's classic. And "Elevation" needs to be my mix:

http://www.send space.com/file/bhcowg

2/3 Influx Mix, 1/3 Single mix.
__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
Old 11-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #60
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,541
Local Time: 05:29 AM
Nah, no appreciation from me.



OK, it's good. It deserves to be "underrated" though. Some of U2's most embarrassing moments are here:

1. Enya-like beginning to Beautiful Day
2. Grace
3. How sickeningly saccharine Walk On is
4. Stuck In A Moment in general
5. The fact that Elevation sounds like Britney Spears' cover of I Love Rock N' Roll sped up

You all pick the wrong parts of the album to like.

Wild Honey (U2's pop masterpiece)
Peace On Earth (powerful...)
New York (groovy, creepy, and rocks)

It's OK I guess.
__________________

LemonMelon is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×