All Critical Reviews of the New album here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The writer on this one used work at Pitchfork, so this review is what i might call a ''pitchfork-by numbers'' piece of criticism.
Yeah, I almost laughed when the writer complained about "unmemorable choruses", which is code for not being able to complain about "choruses as subtle as a sledgehammer".

I distrust anyone who starts a U2 review yammering on for a whole paragraph first about U2 20 years ago.

I can't tolerate people who mention "sonically adventurous" as 99,9% of the people using this term can't tell their own arse from a recording studio.

Of course there's backlash against the album. It's because

1. It's fucking U2
2. It's fucking Bono
3. Apple just put that damn thing on my device without asking or warning me
4. It's fucking U2

Seriously, I understand the criticism about the way it's distributed. I thought from the beginning that this might backfire. I don't have Apple products, but I, too, wouldn't be too delighted if I would suddenly find an album in my library that I wouldn't have chosen myself, maybe by an artist that just isn't my cup of tea. The problem is that Bono says U2 want to "reach as many people as possible". While this whole thing is great for fans, I still think it can be seen either desperate and/or preposterous from Apple and U2 to simply give away the album to every iTunes customer. Unfortunately, this issue often overshadows the quality of the music. People bitch about U2 but don't really bother listening to their music.

Btw, got a lot of positive reviews from people on forums and on Twitter today. Many of them said they are surprised and hadn't expected U2 to make a good album. So not all hope is lost :)

Of course there's backlash against the album. It's because

1. It's fucking U2
2. It's fucking Bono
3. Apple just put that damn thing on my device without asking or warning me
4. It's fucking U2

Seriously, I understand the criticism about the way it's distributed. I thought from the beginning that this might backfire. I don't have Apple products, but I, too, wouldn't be too delighted if I would suddenly find an album in my library that I wouldn't have chosen myself, maybe by an artist that just isn't my cup of tea. The problem is that Bono says U2 want to "reach as many people as possible". While this whole thing is great for fans, I still think it can be seen either desperate and/or preposterous from Apple and U2 to simply give away the album to every iTunes customer. Unfortunately, this issue often overshadows the quality of the music. People bitch about U2 but don't really bother listening to their music.

Btw, got a lot of positive reviews from people on forums and on Twitter today. Many of them said they are surprised and hadn't expected U2 to make a good album. So not all hope is lost :)

But people can easily just delete it, if your a fan of music surely to god you would just give it a listen rather than whine about getting it for nothing?, or at the very least just delete it!!, its not like they are forcing anyone to listen to it.

And I bet if this was anyone other than U2 these same people would be calling it a masterstroke.

I have a feeling the music will genuinely do the talking here, as cheesy as that sounds.

An album this good usually seeps steadily through into people lives.

But people can easily just delete it, if your a fan of music surely to god you would just give it a listen rather than whine about getting it for nothing?, or at the very least just delete it!!, its not like they are forcing anyone to listen to it.

And I bet if this was anyone other than U2 these same people would be calling it a masterstroke.

word to this. i mean, sure, i'd be mildly annoyed (and confused) if a Dave Matthews Band album showed up on my phone, but I wouldn't be like WOW THEY'RE THE WORST FOR FORCING THIS FREE MUSIC ON ME. id just be like lol delete.

complaining about free music on twitter is for fucking spoiled brats, i'm sorry but it is. i'm ashamed to be a part of such an entitled generation...

True, but I think many people see it as a provocation because it's U2. I'm also sure many listen to it secretly, but wouldn't admit if they like it.

I'm also sure many listen to it secretly, but wouldn't admit if they like it.

That's what I'm worried about, but good music can convince some people. The ones who never will like them I think it's hilarious if they are irritated. It's like they are being punked with a punk album.

I don't expect this album to get good reviews, but then again I stopped caring about what reviewers said oh easily 20 years ago if not longer.

"Critics" have just been rendered impotent by this move, they have zero influence over whether people will buy it based on their articles, everyone has it whether they give it 1 or 5 stars. Their time of influencing music purchasing is coming to an end.

Boo fucking hoo.

And like a rail replacement bus service, the weaker tracks seem to last fucking forever and go absolutely nowhere. 'Volcano' and 'Raised By Wolves' aim for the spectacular widescreen rock U2 are known for but fall flat; the latter dribbles on about blood, crucifixions and death incoherently, despite ostensibly being about a Dublin car bombing. The turgid 'The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)' and 'Sleep Like A Baby Tonight' might have the best intentions but contain nothing notable whatsoever, and the best thing that can be said about 'California (There Is No End To Love)' is that, with its major melodies and simplistic imagery, it isn't as bad as 'This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now', which just stinks.

Was this written by a 12 year old or something? It's embarrassing how bad this is written.

I expect a 7.3 or 7.8 from Pitchfork but they can go fuck themselves on their NLOTH review.

Lulz. As an avid Pitchfork reader/indie listener, I can say that this album has nothing on it that merits such a score. I'll be shocked if they manage to get higher than a 6.0.

And people need to stop drinking the Kool Aid and thinking every negative review has an agenda. Some of us just don't think the new album is very good. That's all.

Lulz. As an avid Pitchfork reader/indie listener, I can say that this album has nothing on it that merits such a score. I'll be shocked if they manage to get higher than a 6.0.

And people need to stop drinking the Kool Aid and thinking every negative review has an agenda. Some of us just don't think the new album is very good. That's all.

But the negative people keep saying about how people should give it more than a day before declaring their undying love for it, but yet the people who like it cant say the same to the people who dislike it because their decision is final?

The reference to Lost Highway was hilarious.

And like a rail replacement bus service, the weaker tracks seem to last fucking forever and go absolutely nowhere. 'Volcano' and 'Raised By Wolves' aim for the spectacular widescreen rock U2 are known for but fall flat; the latter dribbles on about blood, crucifixions and death incoherently, despite ostensibly being about a Dublin car bombing. The turgid 'The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)' and 'Sleep Like A Baby Tonight' might have the best intentions but contain nothing notable whatsoever, and the best thing that can be said about 'California (There Is No End To Love)' is that, with its major melodies and simplistic imagery, it isn't as bad as 'This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now', which just stinks.

Was this written by a 12 year old or something? It's embarrassing how bad this is written.

Yeah, Volcano and Raised By Wolves are far from typical U2 "widescreen rock". They're both a lot tighter and tense. Anyone who's reviewing this stuff and can't even draw a simple parallel to these and U2's early days doesn't deserve to be writing for a legit publication.

But this is NME we're talking about.

Or maybe shitty Sun Kil Moon songs about retarded rednecks getting blowjobs and dying stupidly is the real good stuff. U2 doesn't have Adam getting his pole licked by white trash and Bono didn't lose his mom to a stupid accidental fire. Pitchfork has it's bias just the same as everyone else. What they think is relevant can be unintentional comedy.

I'm also along for the "There's no way Pitchfork gives this higher than a 6" ride. I can't wait to read the review...it's going to be awful.

I don't expect this album to get good reviews, but then again I stopped caring about what reviewers said oh easily 20 years ago if not longer.

"Critics" have just been rendered impotent by this move, they have zero influence over whether people will buy it based on their articles, everyone has it whether they give it 1 or 5 stars. Their time of influencing music purchasing is coming to an end.

Boo fucking hoo.

I loved seeing the re-writes of Achtung Baby reviews from publications after it turned out to be an unstoppable force of greatness. :) Idiots.

the NME review is SO badly written, anyone of intelligence would not put much stock in what this person has to say.

I saw another one on here earlier that panned the album because Bono is such in Egomaniac that he writes in THE FIRST PERSON!! :lol::applaud:
Wow, you mean every other singer/writer writes songs from the perspective of the whole band? Truly moronic.

The reference to Lost Highway was hilarious.

:lol:, thank you for pointing that out.

Or maybe shitty Sun Kil Moon songs about retarded rednecks getting blowjobs and dying stupidly is the real good stuff. U2 doesn't have Adam getting his pole licked by white trash and Bono didn't lose his mom to a stupid accidental fire. Pitchfork has it's bias just the same as everyone else. What they think is relevant can be unintentional comedy.

:crack:...

Sometimes, the critics are wrong:

NYT Sergeant Pepper’s Review in 1967

The obsession with production, coupled with a surprising shoddiness in composition, permeates the entire album. There is nothing beautiful on “Sergeant Pepper.”

“Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” is an engaging curio, but nothing more.

the Beatles have given us an album of special effects, dazzling but ultimately fraudulent

...undistingished collection of work

the problem with having 30 years of history, not being a total heritage act, and having a lighting rod like Bono in your band, is that you try to wrap your review of the album around your existing prejudices. it would be really hard for any artist of their stature -- and, really, there's no one left -- to garner universal acclaim.

this does go both ways, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom