Additional Musicians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

East Bay Fan

The Fly
I never post a question, but here goes...If U2 were to have an additional musician performing on stage with them every night, who should it be? Obviously Daniel Lanois is someone who would fit in perfectly on stage with the band, but who else? What about Noel Gallagher quiting Oasis and joining U2? What about Neil Finn?

Who would you like to see as a "Fifth Live Member of U2"?

I don't think a "name" would be the best bet. Don't they sometimes have extra musicians in the back, or somewhere off stage, but filling in where they need it (musically)? I would prefer to actually see those people onstage.

So my answer is that I would like to see a musician (or musicans) who fills a gap be on stage with them.

Perhaps the question wasn't clear...A lot of bands perforom with additional musicians. R.E.M., Depeche Mode, The Stones, etc. If U2 were to have an additional musician on stage with them, who should it be?

Indra,

I agree with you. I would rather see an actual person on stage with the band, instead of having them playing an instrument under the stage.

East Bay Fan said:
Indra,

I agree with you. I would rather see an actual person on stage with the band, instead of having them playing an instrument under the stage.

I also agree...I understand they like the idea of the original four of them onstage together, blahblahblah, but it would be nice if they gave these people a little more credit.

RademR said:
i just want to see my four boys on stage, personally.

Even if what you are hearing is made by more than them? I just think that being able to see every musician that's playing is more honest. Relegating them to the back smacks a bit of Ashlee Simpson on SNL to me.

Of course if you were talking of a "special guest," I agree. I'd rather not have that. But I feel that all musicians actually playing should be seen.

If Dallas has to provide backup for a song like Yahweh, just dress him in black pants and turtleneck and stick him behind Edge and beside Larry. Same goes for keyboard player besides Edge, but I feel no need to have the synth/cued backing track guy on-stage.

RademR said:
i just want to see my four boys on stage, personally.

:yes:

U2 has been using pre-recorded loops, synths etc... for years. That doesn't take away from the live shows IMO.
A big difference between that and lip-synching. As long as all four of them perform live, and produce majority of the sound, that's good enough for me.

How about ...... definitely not anyone from Oasis.

I'm a big 'whats the story' fan, but if Noel or Liam join U2, I'll be fishing out my roadmaps for Beachy Head.

its not that Noel or Liam are bad (heck..... i think Noel is the most talented all round musician) but they are so good in their environment, it makes no sense for either to join u2 as a live member.

i am happy with just the four of them on stage.....

BTW East Bay Fan, suggesting Noel should join U2 is like saying Bono or The Edge should join Oasis.......not a good idea!

I guess I mentioned Noel Gallagher because I'm a huge Noel fan and he's a big fan of U2. I was also at the infamous U2-Oasis show at Oakland in 1997.

Anyway, I just belive that all of the music being heard should be played live and on-stage, and if that requires an additional musician, I'm fine with that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom