Adam is the coolest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elfyx said:
Adam *is* the coolest of the cool. For that I definitely agree.

Bass guitarists are almost always the coolest.

I tell you I would just love to hang back with him, smoke some kb, and jam.

I was blessed with the opportunity to meet him once, briefly- and his spirit definitely shines.

in Interpol is the same :) Carlos D. is the coolets!

bass players :up: *I'm a bass player*

jick said:

No, I have nothing against Clayton. Have you heard this age old joke among U2 circles?

Q: Where would have happened if Dick Evans did not quit U2 early on?
A: Clayton would have been in some Irish pub now selling whisky and U2 would have sold 50 million more records than they already have now.

Cheers,

J

You clearly do have something against Adam. Or you post without any conscious recognition of what you post.

I didn't say Adam was the coolest in U2, in the world, I didn't qualify it against anything, I just said it. Adam is a very humble person, who took some time out, and worked in a restaurant.

"U2 star Adam Clayton spent a secret week in the kitchen of top celebrity chef Jamie Oliver -- in a bid to improve his cooking skills!
The millionaire musician washed pots and took orders from other chefs after he enrolled to join Oliver's Fifteen restaurant.
The idea behind the restaurant is to take kids off the street and give them top tuition in how to become a chef.
The spin-off TV show, Jamie's Kitchen, was a huge TV hit. The restaurant, which is based in London, is a frequent haunt of dozens of celebrities including Ronan Keating, Madonna and Tony Blair.
However, so taken by the idea was mild-mannered rock star Clayton that he asked to work there for a week.
Oliver revealed that Clayton mucked in like everyone else and turned out to be a top chef.
"He was a good bloke. He was just like 'Can I come and work in the kitchen?' Yeah, of course. He wore the same whites as everyone else, he got changed with the students and he got told and briefed like everyone else."

-----------

And about your joke, if it weren't for Adam, you and I probably wouldn't know who U2 are. He was their first manager, he got gigs lined up, talked to influential people in the music business, arranged the meeting with Paul McGuinness, he did a lot of important groundwork.

"Adam literally got me by the scruff of the neck and roped me into U2. I didn't really want to be in a band. I was only into it for the sake of the sound of electric guitar, drums, bass and singing. So when he started talking about actually playing gigs I thought,'What, y' mean playing gigs in front of other people?' The thought had never dawned on me. But Adam believed in the band before anyone did - he'd made up his mind at 15 or 16 that rock 'n' roll was what he was going to do."--Bono

"Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for
Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty
International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for amoment the thought of death crossed my mind.
When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me,
between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."--Bono

The other band members cleary appreciate Adam, they all understand how each member is important to the group, unlike some people. Larry and Adam are the pulse of U2, as that's what the rhythm section is to a band. U2 are friends, you look at the Beatles, looked like they could barely stand being around each other any longer than necessary.

Adam is definatly cool.
Even if he was a bartender in an irish pub or a chef he would still be cool (just not as many people would know about it)

he coolness transends what instrument he plays (or how well he plays it) for all i care he could drop the bass and play the recorder. He'd still be cool

i find it refreshing for someone famous to try something like that and not demand a camera crew to follow his every action. (i'm so sick of those type of shows......sorry R&H lovers)

has anyone listened to the msn webcasts they did in 2002? adam clearly shines in that IMO

burns said:
Adam is definatly cool.
Even if he was a bartender in an irish pub or a chef he would still be cool (just not as many people would know about it)

he coolness transends what instrument he plays (or how well he plays it) for all i care he could drop the bass and play the recorder. He'd still be cool

i find it refreshing for someone famous to try something like that and not demand a camera crew to follow his every action. (i'm so sick of those type of shows......sorry R&H lovers)

has anyone listened to the msn webcasts they did in 2002? adam clearly shines in that IMO

Damn, well said! :up:

Theres a classic shot of him in Zoo TV, i forget which song, im pretty sure it mysterious ways, but i cant be arsed to go check.

The camera pans on to him, and he looks straight at it with his fag hanging out of the side of his gob like he really doesnt give a shit.

Doesnt sound funny but it is. Youll no what i mean if you see it

It sounds like people are accepting the idea that Adam is just an okay bass player...um, New Year's Day, Mysterious Ways, Bad...even listen to the bass line in Please. His lines create a sense of solid ground for edge to do whatever the hell edge does. Look at adam's fingers when he plays Gone or elevation. Even his simple lines are fucking amazing. Can you imagine if adam had tried a complex line in with or without you? Or where the streets have no name?
I also read recently that he takes off for weeks travelling...he really is an odd wandering spirit (to borrow another's words). I respect the man so much, partly because he seems to be something I could never be.

I love Adam, and respect him as a bassplayer and a human. He seems to be a very humble gentlemanly type of person to me. I would love to meet him.
And only Adam can make gray hair look cool.

blueyedpoet said:
I respect the man so much, partly because he seems to be something I could never be.

He is a great bass player and perhaps the coolest man in the world

If you're going to whine about Adam and Larry not being 'flashy', bear in mind that if they weren't such a tight and solid rhythm section, Bono and Edge would be unable to shine. Larry and Adam have laid the sturdiest foundation in rock and Bono and Edge have built a glorious structure upon it.

Adam has to have some of the best stage presence ever. He's that flaming cool that he doesn't NEED to do anything. Every time I watch a DVD of U2 and he comes onscreen, I'm drawn to him. The sheer force of his coolness eminates from him.

I have had two dreams about me going out with Adam this week. In one of them we quoted Field of dreams lines anddanced to Miles Davies music, in my dream Adam had millions of cds and I thought I was in heaven.

He is very pretty but not as much as Larry.
:heart:

Me and my Da saw Adam in Dublin last year or the year before and then I thought it wasn't him but when my Dad said "Look, I think that's that Adam Clayton (I love how my Dad knows all their names :heart: ) from U2. I wouldn't have said anything to him anyway, probably just have grinned like an idiot. :up:

/random story

Back
Top Bottom