Acrobat live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I just got this bootleg compilation called "Jesus was a cool guy"...and of course I have no idea how wide-spread it is or isn't, but listening to it, one question comes to mind. Hopefully all the bootleg experts (yes that's you Blue Room!
wink.gif
) will know the answer. Why all the hype about Acrobat never being played? The version on this bootleg is definitely rough and half-acoustic, but it is live.
confused.gif

-sula

August 1-6 1992, Hershey, PA Hersheypark Stadium

"Acrobat, the only song off "Achtung Baby" not yet performed in concerts, is extensively rehearsed, with Bono peforming it acoustically, his guitar blending into ambient guitar feedback by The Edge near the end, which eventually segues Zoo Station. Because this is done over and over again, it suggest that U2 are considering Acrobat for the opening song of the show."

U2 Live: a concert documentary
Pimm Jal de la Parra

FYI

Hey, thanks for the info -- I had recently got into some bootleg deals (trading ONLY! I'd never buy) and I got this one -- I'm so glad I'll be able to hear Acrobat!

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

ummm...if the stuff I'm listening to is only a rehearsal, then who is doing all the screaming? It sure sounds a heckuva lot like a crowd, but mebbe it's just the crew?

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
ummm...if the stuff I'm listening to is only a rehearsal, then who is doing all the screaming? It sure sounds a heckuva lot like a crowd, but mebbe it's just the crew?

to my understanding, there were a lot of fans waiting outside the stadium, and they were lucky enough to catch the sound check and this rare Acrobat live stint.

------------------
I need something strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind

Take Me...Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
to my understanding, there were a lot of fans waiting outside the stadium, and they were lucky enough to catch the sound check and this rare Acrobat live stint.

aha! Well that would explain the hyperventilated sounding squealing then.
biggrin.gif

U2 fans....
wink.gif

No no no..
I heard that they were rehearsing for the TOUR and they sold cheap ($15, I think?) tickets to the stadium to see them rehearse.

------------------

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Although there have been a couple of times in past U2 tours when it was raining or really cold or there was a hurricane coming, or some other such thing, and fans were in fact invited inside for sound check. Now I think that should happen more often.

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

Ahhh.
smile.gif
Thanks for clearing that up, Jayhawk and Olive.

------------------

http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum7/HTML/003762.html

------------------

I was at Hershey Park back in the first week of August 1992! My friends and I were all from nearby Harrisburg where the band actually stayed while practicing in Hershey. I heard Acrobat performed during practice on several nights as well as So Cruel.
From August 1-6, there were several thousand fans outside each side of the Stadium. PennState Cheerleaders were actually let in one night to the practice to the chant of "Penn State Sucks" by the rest of the crowd that did not get to go in.
It was a great time though, and everyone got autographs and handshakes and to talk to the band back at the Harrisburg Hilton where they stayed. We were at the Stadium and Hotel every night that week. On Wendsday the August 5th, tickets went on sale at 1:57 pm for the show Friday the August 7. It was announced on local radio station by Paul McGuinness. Central Pennsylvania then went nuts as people rushed to Hershey or the nearest ticket master location to get tickets. People left work without asking permission, dropping their tools and everything they were doing to get tickets. The Harrisburg area is a small town, but by 10 pm that night on the 5th of August, all 25,000 tickets were sold out!
The show on the 7th was incredible, with all the local TV stations and radio Stations there. There had been reports on the band all week by local media. I was even on TV and several friends got their picture with BONO on the front page of the Harrisburg Patriot.
The show was amazing! They opened with Sunday Bloody Sunday, then went into New Years Day and Pride! The show was incredible and is still one of the 5 best shows I have ever seen in my life! Definitely the most incredible set list!
It was amazing to have U2 stay in my hometown for entire week, and meet them on multiple nights, and have the week end with a half priced special show for us which was by far the best ZOO TV show of the four ZOO TV shows I saw that year!
U2 is always welcome to come back and practice here anytime!

That's so cool.

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

They only played "Acrobat" during the rehearsals, not the for the Hersheyville show on August 7, 1992. Here is the setlist for that show:

Main Set: Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, Pride, Zoo Station, The Fly, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways, One-Unchained Melody, Until The End Of The World, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Van Diemen's Land, Trying to Throw Your Arms..., Angel of Harlem, When Love Comes To Town, All I Want Is You, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Where the Streets , Pride
Encore(s): Desire, Ultraviolet (Light My Way), With or Without You, Love Is Blindness

I have the audio for this show as well. I would have loved to have actually been there too.

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
No no no..
I heard that they were rehearsing for the TOUR and they sold cheap ($15, I think?) tickets to the stadium to see them rehearse.

yeah Jayhawk got it.. but you're right, b/c they did only charge $15 per ticket for that show- they wanted the place filled when the filmed R&H and they were afraid it might not at regular price because they had just played there. But, no Acrobat during the $15 show, just the rehersals which no one was really "invited" to- they just hung out outside the stadium.

------------------
I need something strong to distract my mind
I'm gonna look at you 'til my eyes go blind

Take Me...Higher
Macphisto: Try A Taste Of Martini

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

Back
Top Bottom