Achtung Baby is the... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2001, 11:57 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:19 PM
Achtung Baby is the...

...best album ever. I listened to it a few times yesterday and that album is amazing. I feel that it's the best album of U2's career. Here's why:
1. The album as a whole-Each song fits on the album. The record would not be the same if one of those songs were replaced with another song, even a great song like HMTMKMKM.
2. Foot tapping factor-Every tune forces you to tap your foot along. It's like each song can get stuck in your head at any moment.
3. Breaking new ground-When U2 made this album, they were totally ahead of their time. They experimented and it paid off. Edge's guitar sounds like nothing before and nothing since. The growl of Zoo Station, the whir of EBTTRT, the blues of One, the insanity of UTEOTW etc, etc. This kind of ties into the album as a whole idea.
4. Lyrics-Forget about it. Bono was out of control on this one. Every fucking WORD on this album is perfect and HAS to be there. There are metaphors a pleanty and some very dark songs. Great stuff, my hat's off to you Bono.

Now, let me say that ATYCLB is a GREAT album. It's actually my second favorite. However, there is very little cohesion (sp?) on this record. It's almost a greatest hits from U2 at that period. There are some beautiful songs on the record, but many of them could be easily exchanged for something else and it would not affect the overall album. U2 even added TGBHF to the Europe albums.

Not just all of that, but U2 backed up Achtung Baby with THE GREATEST TOUR EVER. And again, the tour fit the music. They were indulging on the tour because they were indulging on the record. Again, ATYCLB is amazing, I'm listening to the Turin show right now. However, I just don't think that it gets any better than Achtung Baby and ZooTV.

Old 10-20-2001, 11:59 AM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:19 PM
no, it isn't the best album ever

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Old 10-20-2001, 12:20 PM   #3
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Yep, it's on my list Top 5 albums ever. I just wrote an essay about U2's transition from the Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby. I think it's fucking amazing.

------------------
Proud owner of Larry's Drumstick!

Still Elevated...
Old 10-20-2001, 12:42 PM   #4
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Achtung Baby is usually my favourite U2 album.. very close to Joshua Tree but my tastes change frequently.
Old 10-20-2001, 12:45 PM   #5
Acrobat

I couldn't agree more.

Achtung Baby -- the songs, the tour, the booklet, the look, the shock, the fly shades, the fly, one, mysterious ways,

This will always be the pinnacle for me.

------------------
You Just Can't Get Enough Of That Lovey Dovey Stuff...
Old 10-20-2001, 01:20 PM   #6

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Achtung Baby is the best album by any band of any genre, of any country, ever created!

Old 10-20-2001, 02:26 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:19 PM
... is my favorite album ever. But, being as that music is an art, and art & beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I have no idea what the best album ever is.
Old 10-20-2001, 02:43 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Achtung Baby is the perfect album.

Love it love it love it. And to think that it almost wasn't made.

------------------
Proud Owner of Larry's Stick!!!

Bubble poppin' sugar droppin' rock and roll

~*April*~
(AIM-POPLemonGirl)
Old 10-20-2001, 04:46 PM   #9
Forum Moderator
The Goal Is Soul

Local Time: 10:19 AM
Achtung Baby is one album in a U2 collection that should be where it is, and stand for what it is...From Boy to Unforgettable Fire, to Joshua Tree to Pop to ATYCLB...U2 continues to make albums that have defined a generation for 20 years and to put "their best ever" or "their pinnacle" is something I've never chosen to do, and something I know that U2 would never say about their career as well...the fires of creativity are still there, and who knows, not even U2, what landscape of music they will create in the future...all I know that as a fan, it is awesome to sit back and wait with expectation with what this band can and will produce...and find comfort that it will ultimately define them as people and musicians, and it will be what they felt was the best representation of themselves, and we get to be recipients of this beautiful thing between band and fan.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 10-20-2001).]
Old 10-20-2001, 04:54 PM   #10
Mr. MacPhisto's Loo Cleaner

baby baby baby light my way...HOO-AH!!!!

also WGRYWH is a wonderful song! I've been listening to it every day recently.

I loooove to say Aaacccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhtung and then I can't speak the rest of the day.

------------------
~*Mona*~ the Shamrock n' rolla
Bono Rep. of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"Joe Houdini!" ~Charlie Brown~

"What you don't have you don't need it now. What you don't know you can feel it somehow." -U2-
Old 10-20-2001, 05:10 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Achtung Baby is one album in a U2 collection that should be where it is, and stand for what it is...From Boy to Unforgettable Fire, to Joshua Tree to Pop to ATYCLB...U2 continues to make albums that have defined a generation for 20 years and to put "their best ever" or "their pinnacle" is something I've never chosen to do, and something I know that U2 would never say about their career as well...the fires of creatity are still there, and who knows, not even U2, what landscape of music they will create in the future...all I know that as a fan, it is awesome to sit back and wait with expectation with what this band can and will produce...and find comfort that it will ultimately define them as people and musicians, and it will be what they felt was the best representation of themselves, and we get to be recipients of this beautiful thing between band and fan.

Chris

Well said, Chris!!

------------------
Proud Owner of Larry's Stick!!!

Bubble poppin' sugar droppin' rock and roll

~*April*~
(AIM-POPLemonGirl)
Old 10-20-2001, 05:23 PM   #12

Spanish Eyes wrote:

Quote:
Achtung Baby is one album in a U2 collection that should be where it is, and stand for what it is...From Boy to Unforgettable Fire, to Joshua Tree to Pop to ATYCLB...U2 continues to make albums that have defined a generation for 20 years and to put "their best ever" or "their pinnacle" is something I've never chosen to do, and something I know that U2 would never say about their career as well...the fires of creatity are still there, and who knows, not even U2, what landscape of music they will create in the future...all I know that as a fan, it is awesome to sit back and wait with expectation with what this band can and will produce...and find comfort that it will ultimately define them as people and musicians, and it will be what they felt was the best representation of themselves, and we get to be recipients of this beautiful thing between band and fan
Come on Chris stop being so neutral..pick the album that you get most out of even if its just a songs difference between your No1 and No2..you know ya wanna!!!!
Old 10-20-2001, 05:25 PM   #13

yup

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 10-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 10-20-2001).]
Old 10-20-2001, 05:30 PM   #14
Forum Moderator
The Goal Is Soul

And I must be an acrobat to talk like this and act like that.

Chris
Old 10-20-2001, 05:32 PM   #15

I aim to please
Old 10-20-2001, 05:37 PM   #16
Forum Moderator
The Goal Is Soul

I'm staying on my tightrope baby, because U2 has taught me that there may be no net for me to fall in with them....we move in mysterious ways, we move in miracle days. But if I ever do get off, I know she'll be there when I hit the ground.

Chris

Old 10-20-2001, 05:46 PM   #17

....just pick one!! no more cryptic passages or ironic statements..you know you want to say Joshua Tree......
Old 10-20-2001, 05:48 PM   #18
Acrobat

I agree.. for now.

I don't know what the next album will be like!
Old 10-20-2001, 05:52 PM   #19
Forum Moderator
The Goal Is Soul

Was Joshua Tree an actual studio album...I thought it was a "best of" album?

Chris
Old 10-20-2001, 05:57 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 07:19 PM
...the best U2 album ever. I just listened to it again in my car in the past days, and it always feels so fresh. You can always find something new and exiteing on it - and I listened it for tens of tousands of times over and over.
The difference between it and all the other u2 cd's is that now when I wan't to listen to U2 I don't go for ATYCLB, I always go for AB first... ten years after and I still can't get enough of it, and I never skip a track

Tags
achtung baby