A Joshua Tree Pilgrimage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuvLady

War Child
Okay I'm going to Vegas and desperately want to see some joshua trees -

I've checked out some of the tours available and found a couple that mention going through JT forests. Unfortunately these seem to be too expensive for me. I can afford to do a general Grand Canyon area bus thing........ but I was really hanging out to see JT's. There's also some that go through Death Valley where I know U2 did some photos.

Is anyone from this area? Has anyone been there? Any advice, tips, information, etc would be greatly appreciated!!

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to skip a tour and get to some of these places on my own? I don't want to stay overnight anywhere so I don't want to hike anywhere that's too far away.

As for THE tree, has anyone seen it?? i know it's fallen over but I'd still love to see it if that's possible. In regards to the location, I know it's not in the Joshua Tree Monument ( National Park? ) but outside California's Death Valley National Park. Well that's what I've read. But i'm finding all the place names confusing. I also heard it was in the Mojave Desert which is in the western part of the JT National Park, according to their website. ARRGGHHHHHHH..... I'm confused!!!

I remember finding this website by a fan who goes regularly to see the tree and he gave really good details of how to get there. I think his name was Brad something but I can't remember how I found it. Any ideas??

Thanx,
Kate.

If you go to Death Valley, which is worth a trip and will be beautiful in November, keep heading west toward the Sierra Nevada. I believe it's Highway 190, but I'm not sure. The tree was somewhere along that highway to the Owens Valley. I can't remember exactly where, but if you're headed west, it was along the south (left) side of the road.

The Mojave Desert is big, and it does go from the Middle of JT National Park up close to Death Valley. There are mnay JT forests in western Arizona, but the prettiest ones are in the Park. Jezebel is from around there; I'm sure she'll see this and reply. The band did do some photographs near JTNP, right outside the town of Twenty-Nine Palms. I don't know if the Harmony Motel is still there or not.

They also did some shots at Bodie State Park. Those are the pictures of four men in coats on snow-covered dirt roads, and the cover of the Streets 12" single (I think). That park is up Highway 395, and then a few miles up a very good dirt road. It'll be cold in November, but worth a trip.

LuvLady, I'm out of it this morning, but I hope this helps. If you do go to Death Valley, go to Zabriskie Point. That's the the cover of the JT album.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

There are TONS of Joshua Trees on US RT 93 along the Joshua Tree Parkway. I took US 60 out of Phoenix and it will turn into RT 93 where all the Joshua trees are. 93 then joins briefly with I-40, then turns back to 93 and crosses the Hoover Dam into Las Vegas. I know there are more Joshua trees elswhere, I can only tell you the ones I know about for sure, because I was there and I saw them.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

HEY MARTHA LOOK- HARMONY MOTEL PIC!!
smile.gif

1a16868.jpg

------------------

My friend and I went out there in '87 and took our pictures in front of the Harmony Motel! Thanks!

LuvLady, chek this out: http://forum.u2wdd.org/u2feedback/Forum7/HTML/001249.html

The second to last picture is at Bodie State Park.

------------------

[This message has been edited by martha (edited 09-25-2001).]

What kind of motel was the Harmony? It looks like a flop! (you wouldn't mind flopping with Bono would ya?
wink.gif
Was it cheap? That's cool you took your pic there, a piece of U2 history!

------------------

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
What kind of motel was the Harmony? It looks like a flop! (you wouldn't mind flopping with Bono would ya?
wink.gif

It sure looked bad. And to answer your second question: Anywhere, anyway, anyhow!
wink.gif

------------------

That's it!! I don't know why I thought it was Brad something. You are a legend
biggrin.gif

Aren't those photographs beautiful?

I thought about a car but don't you usually have to be like 25?

Hmm. Not sure. Vegas is hurting for business at the moment so you may find someone who will rent you a car. You will probably need a credit card though.

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

Well I'll definately try. It sucks not having plastic sometimes. Maybe I should invest in a credit card afterall!!

[This message has been edited by LuvLady (edited 09-25-2001).]

not only does the harmony motel still exist, they have a website with all their info...heres a thing i got from the u2la mailing list:
Harmony Motel. The rock group "U2" stayed here in 1987 (while
making
their Joshua Tree album) for its tranquility and privacy. 8 Rooms and
1 Cabin. Small singles to large suites with kitchens. All rooms have
refrigerator, microwave,cable TV/HBO, phones. Swimming pool in fenced
sundeck area, BBQs available, patios, serene desert- scaped garden and
backdrop of beautiful mountains. Weekly rates are available. Emma
Harrington and her daughter Susan are the Owners and Proprietors.
71161 29 Palms Hwy., 29 Palms.
Phone: (760)367-3351. Fax: (760)367-4707

See our Website at:
www.virtual29.com/harmony.

i'll sure be stopping by. i had a dream that the 4 lads were there when i went and they took a picture with me under the sign and then invited me to hang with them in vegas. i cant help but think its a vision! i posted this before the great server switch, but i too want the perfect joshua tree trip, since ill be coming from LA. dont forget to enact the ISHFWILF video on the strip...what if we got all the u2 fans together and we walked down the strip singing it. that would be so fun.

------------------

It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

LMAO - we so have to do that!! I have a feeling my voice is going to be very hoarse by the end of this trip!

Well, I'll just throw this out there, but if anyone did want to rent a car and do some U2 sightseeing I would totally be interested.

BTW, thanx for the Harmony Motel info Mrs Mullen!
biggrin.gif

so who else wants a part in the re-enactment? my sister told me to be adam and walk around with a beer and then randomly laugh, hop in a cab, and drive off...i want to be larry though. im SO sad about the tree having fallen...ive been wanting to see it for so long. is there a monument to it there? there should be. anyway, ill be at the harmony motel sometime mid afternoon on the friday before the show taking pictures so i hope to see some other fans!

alison

------------------

It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

AHHH HOW COULD I MISS THIS THREAD?????

LuvLady, looks like Martha and everyone has covered the subject pretty good....yes, Harmony Motel is still alive and in business, and it is a cruddy motel, although the current owners have spruced the place up. It's about 10 miles east of where I live.

I also know exactly where The Tree is but because it's fallen down, it could get real tricky to find. It was pretty hard to find when it was standing! It's way far away from Vegas because it's outside of the WEST entrance of Death Valley, which means an awful lot of driving for you.

Instead, if you want to see some nice joshua tree forests, go south towards Calfornia on Interstate 15. A few miles past Stateline, take the turnoff for Nipton Road. Turn left off of the offramp and go east about 3 miles and you'll see a sign for Mojave National Preserve. Turn right, I think it's called Morning Star Mine Road. It starts getting really pretty, especially if you love the desert like me
biggrin.gif
You should start seeing a lot of joshua trees in about 10 miles.

Make sure you put Rattle n Hum or Joshua Tree on the stereo. There's nothing like the desert in the fall!

Let me know if you need more info here or e-mail me at jtsunset@thegrid.net.

Mary

Thanx Jezebel! Yeah it sounds like THE tree might be too far for me, but I think I'll definitely take your advice and check out those jt forests.
biggrin.gif

Quick question - what would the weather be like in November there?

Month.............Av. High.......Av. Low

Jan. thru Feb..... 60.0?F ... 36.5?F
Mar. thru Apr..... 73.5?F ... 47.5?F
May thru Jun...... 94.0?F ... 64.5?F
Jul. thru Aug..... 105.0?F... 75.0?F
Sept. thru Oct..... 88.5?F ... 48.5?F
Nov. thru Dec..... 62.5?F ... 38.5?F

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

[This message has been edited by Eliv8 (edited 09-26-2001).]

Cheers
smile.gif

Now get your ass back to that thing about pantyhose and explain yourself young man!!
wink.gif

And keep maning that Vegas thread before someone steals it again!

BTW, what about white armbands for peace?

Laffs

White armbands is good. I was also thinking of white flags but the security probably wouldn't let us take the poles in.

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

Yeah and you wouldn't wanna swing one round and take someone's eye out!

Er, this should be in the other thread. Okay, I'm switching..........

Back
Top Bottom