2008: JT or AB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wich is best? JT Or Ab?

• JT

Votes: 50 35.5%
  • Ab

Votes: 91 64.5%

• Total voters
These posts don't really make sense. This is a classic case of "I'm a better rock fan because I go for experimental!" There's no denying that: you just said Achtung Baby is better than The Joshua Tree because the latter is more liked.

No that isnt what I mean, my personal view is that AB is better because it is less mainstream in sound. My thougth is that the less cathcy a song is the better it is. I like when it is experimental and deep. Some of the songs on JT are very swingy in sound like RHMT, ISHFWILF, TTYW... It feel like they went to american in the sound, just to hit big. AB is more raw and deep in sound, thats why I like AB more.
But I still like JT, my favorite songs on that album is WOWY, RTSS, MOTD and OTH.

I think AB's pop sheen made it much more accessible and it had a few more radio hits here in the States than Joshua Tree. UTEOTW, by the way, received a lot of play on rock radio. Trip Through Your Wires, Exit and Mothers of the Disappeared could never be airplay magnets and pretty much everything on JT is out of step with the mainstream music of the time (as is a lot of AB). Running To Stand Still/Red Hill Mining Town would also be weird singles. Frankly, this band has never written a ballad as radio ready as "One" or a pop track as infectious and instantly memorable as "Mysterious Ways".

In my opinion RHMT is much more swingy then One and MW.
Ofcourse if a song is more swingy it is a bigger chance for it to be liked by the mainstream listners. How often do you hear WGRYWH, EBTTRT and The Fly on radio? They where all singels but havent got any attention lately. But the JT songs plays alot, so I think that AB is less cathcy in sound.

I seriously doubt Peterrrrr meant to be condescending. He is one of the nicest guys here and still gets constantly piled upon!

Thanks for the kind words :) But I think everybody on this forum is very nice, there are alot of forums on the net that you can't discuss anything without people being rude.

Achtung Baby without a doubt. Joshua Tree is great but it doesn't hold together the way Achtung Baby does. Not for me at least. Achtung ends with Ultraviolet, Acrobat and Love is Blindness. Name me an album in history that ends that strong. the Fly, UTTEOTW, One, and then TTTYAATW which is in my opinion a top 5 underrated U2 song. It broke down all barriers of what U2 can be. It's more emotional in my opinion, it rocks harder, it has the better slow songs. Blah Blah Blah it's just a much better album from start to finish in my opinion.

The Joshua Tree?

:lol:

Just what I was thinking....

umm...One Tree Hill, Exit, Mothers of the Disappeared...are you kidding me? That's out of control brilliant! Probably better ending than AB actually...it's a tough call, but arguably better for sure

Back
Top Bottom