TomKat Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/23/cruise.holmes.reut/index.html

Cruise baby name puzzles Israelis

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- Suri, the name chosen by Hollywood couple Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes for their newborn daughter, is raising more than its share of interest in Israel.

It means "get out of here" in the local language, Hebrew.

News of the naming puzzled even those Israelis who thought they had seen it all after pop diva Madonna turned the ancient Jewish mystical tradition Kabbalah into a faith for the famous.

"I really don't know what they were thinking when they chose this name. It's a term that denotes expulsion, like 'Get out of here'," said Gideon Goldenberg, a linguistics professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. "It's pretty blunt."

Yaron London, a cultural commentator for Israel's Channel 10 television, had this rhetorical question for Suri's proud parents: "Why didn't you just go back to your ancestors' language, and call the kid 'Scram Cruise'?"

A Cruise family spokesman said last week that Suri has its origins in ancient Hebrew, as a variant on Sarah, the biblical matriarch. But that pronunciation is all but unknown in Israel.

There are exceptions. Jerusalem journalist Surie Ackerman said her name was a formalized version of a nickname given by fellow ultra-Orthodox Jews in her native United States.

"It sounds strange to me that a non-Jewish, Scientology baby should be called Suri," Ackerman said, referring to the alternative church which counts Cruise among its devotees.

"But there are plenty of strange names in the world."

And there are plenty of alternative meanings for Suri.

It's also a Nubian tribe, the word for "rose" in Persian, "sun" in Sanskrit and a term for a form of Alpaca's wool.

he's already in Italy at the MI3 premiere

tom_cruise.jpg

(AP)Tom Cruise said Monday his "Mission Impossible" was tearing himself away from his newborn daughter to promote his new movie in the Italian capital.

"My mission impossible was to be here today," Cruise told reporters in Rome, where he was promoting the premiere of "Mission Impossible III."

"I didn't want to come," he said. "My daughter was just born, and I didn't want to leave her and her mother."

The baby girl, named Suri, was born Tuesday and is the first child for Cruise's bride-to-be, Katie Holmes, 27. Cruise, 43, has an adopted daughter and son from his marriage to Nicole Kidman.

Details about the birth were not disclosed, but it had been planned to take place as a silent procedure under the tenets of the Church of Scientology, to which both Cruise and Holmes belong.

Cruise surprised everyone by showing up in the middle of a news conference he had not been expected to attend. The movie premiere was scheduled for Monday night.

"I'm going to be here for a few hours, and then I'm going to get on a plane and go back to Katie and Suri," Cruise said.

In "Mission Impossible III," superagent Ethan Hunt (Cruise) takes on an icy villain played by Philip Seymour Hoffman. Director J.J. Abrams, creator of TV's "Lost" and "Alias," has said he aimed to balance action with character interplay in the spirit of the television show on which the movies are based.

Ving Rhames, Michelle Monaghan, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Laurence Fishburn, Keri Russell and Maggie Q also star in the movie, which is scheduled to open May 5 worldwide.

The cast members later delighted thousands of screaming fans by appearing on a podium in the packed square in Rome's historical center, Piazza del Popolo, where they were interviewed about the movie.

The warmest welcome, however, was reserved for Cruise, who caused a wave of near-hysteria when he waved at the public and exclaimed, "Roma! Italy! Italia!"

He then climbed down a couple of steps and picked up a white teddy someone had tossed in his direction, and read the note attached to it out loud.

"This is for Suri, we wish her lots of love and good things. Tom go always like you're doing now. Kiss to Katie" Cruise read.

The actor thanked the public for supporting him and his family.

"I also want to thank you for the warm welcome that you've given to my daughter Suri and my fiance Katie, and I just love you all," Cruise said. "And i hope you enjoy this film because that's why i do it, i make them for you and i really want to entertain you."

This is almost as whacky as BradJolina deciding to give birth somewhere in Africa so that they can avoid paparazzi. Many paparazzi who have come to this remote part of the world in hopes of catching a picture of the couple and baby to be have been ordered out of the country.

Bonochick said:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/23/cruise.holmes.reut/index.html

Cruise baby name puzzles Israelis

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- Suri, the name chosen by Hollywood couple Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes for their newborn daughter, is raising more than its share of interest in Israel.

It means "get out of here" in the local language, Hebrew.

News of the naming puzzled even those Israelis who thought they had seen it all after pop diva Madonna turned the ancient Jewish mystical tradition Kabbalah into a faith for the famous.

"I really don't know what they were thinking when they chose this name. It's a term that denotes expulsion, like 'Get out of here'," said Gideon Goldenberg, a linguistics professor at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. "It's pretty blunt."

Yaron London, a cultural commentator for Israel's Channel 10 television, had this rhetorical question for Suri's proud parents: "Why didn't you just go back to your ancestors' language, and call the kid 'Scram Cruise'?"

A Cruise family spokesman said last week that Suri has its origins in ancient Hebrew, as a variant on Sarah, the biblical matriarch. But that pronunciation is all but unknown in Israel.

There are exceptions. Jerusalem journalist Surie Ackerman said her name was a formalized version of a nickname given by fellow ultra-Orthodox Jews in her native United States.

"It sounds strange to me that a non-Jewish, Scientology baby should be called Suri," Ackerman said, referring to the alternative church which counts Cruise among its devotees.

"But there are plenty of strange names in the world

:lmao: poor tom cruise... the guy just cant get a break! :lol:

:lol:

why don't they see that everyone think it's fake? and that it's really seems transparent... do they really believe that everyone thinks its for real??

So today Iw as at the gym and just KNEW (!!!!!) when I saw on the news that Tom was in Italy that it would be talked about on this forum!! I love you all....

BY the way...just why the hell is he in Italy at a press conference no one thought he would be at?!?!?!? Oh yeah-they never did really have a baby:ohmy:

Excerpt from Bill Maher's HBO show from Friday, 4/21

New Rules:
New Rule: Tom Cruise must eat his baby and rename his movie. Apparently the sequel to "Mission: Impossible II" isn't "Mission: Impossible III." It's "m:i:3." That's "m-colon-i-colon-3." I guess Tom just likes fitting in colons. And on the...and on the home front, he's already announced plans to eat his baby's placenta...with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. Tom, just go ahead and finish the whole thing, because that kid is going to be one screwed up little Martian anyway. Even Michael Jackson is thinking, "Wow, I never literally ate a kid." They get cranky later on in the evening.

Cruise: So Suri we called you Pickpocket
08:19am 25th April 2006

After accidentally naming their new daughter 'pickpocket' in Japanese.
Tom Cruise and fiancé Katie Holmes have revealed there was no divine inspiration behind their choice.
They simply picked the name Suri - which also means "princess" in Hebrew and "red rose" in Persian - from a book.

Cruise said: "Some friends sent us these baby name books. It was the second we looked at and, all of a sudden, we saw 'Suri'.

"We looked at each other, said 'Suri' and that was it - bam! It took a couple of minutes and that was it."

Cruise will tear himself away from his newborn baby daughter today to attend the UK premiere of his new film.

Cruise, 43, will join other cast members for the first screening of the action-packed thriller at the Odeon Leicester Square, in London.

In the film, Cruise returns to the big screen as secret agent Ethan Hunt to take on arch-villain and black-market arms dealer Owen Davian, played by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Part of the adrenaline-fuelled film was shot in Rome, the city where Cruise and Holmes, dubbed TomKat by the media, first made their romance public in April 2005.

Co-writer and director J J Abrams, creator of the television series Lost, will also attend the premiere along with Cruise's co-stars Michelle Monaghan, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Keri Russell, Maggie Q and Simon Pegg.

Mission: Impossible III will open across the UK and Ireland on Thursday, May 4.

:lol: Pickpocket Cruise

Lila64 said:

New Rule: Tom Cruise must eat his baby and rename his movie. Apparently the sequel to "Mission: Impossible II" isn't "Mission: Impossible III." It's "m:i:3." That's "m-colon-i-colon-3." I guess Tom just likes fitting in colons. And on the...and on the home front, he's already announced plans to eat his baby's placenta...with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. Tom, just go ahead and finish the whole thing, because that kid is going to be one screwed up little Martian anyway. Even Michael Jackson is thinking, "Wow, I never literally ate a kid." They get cranky later on in the evening.

Bill Maher you're my hero.

and Michael Jackson thinks it's nasty because it's a girl.

Back
Top Bottom