The Pro Wrestling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I had a little bit of downtime, so I actually came up with a list of my 25 All Time favorite wrestlers. Keep in my find this a list of my "favorite" wrestlers and not necessarily a list of the greatest wrestlers. But, most of the wrestlers on my list are the greatest of All Time.

1- Bret Hart
2- The Undertaker
3- Chris Jericho
4- Chris Benoit
5- Eddie Guerrero
6- The Rock
7- Steve Austin
8- Mick Foley
9- Owen Hart
10- Rob Van Dam
11- Davey Boy Smith
12- Curt Hennig
13- Rick Rude
14- Christian
15- Edge
16- Randy Savage
17- Sting
18- Barry Windham
19- Roddy Piper
20- CM Punk
21- William Regal
22- Tito Santana
23- Don Muraco
24- Jeff Hardy
25- Matt Hardy

Pleasantly surprised to see Christian on there. There's actually a fair bit of crossover between our lists, but as I have to finish a 15-20 page paper that I've somehow let get to 22 before 6 and then I have to start another that's due Tuesday, my list may take longer. Ranking is much more difficult than I thought it would be.

1) Shawn Michaels
2) Kurt Angle
3) Finlay
4) Bret Hart
5) Mick Foley
6) Chris Jericho
7) Sting
8) Chris Benoit
9) Owen Hart
10) Brian Pillman
11) Ric Flair
12) Eddie Guerrero
13) Kevin Nash
14) Curt Hennig
15) Raven
16) Rey Mysterio, Jr.
17) The Rock
18) Jeff Jarrett
19) Davey Boy Smith
20) Randy Savage
21) Roddy Piper
22) Scott Hall
23) Steve Austin
24) Triple H
25) Hulk Hogan

I had a hard time cutting out Sean Waltman, Arn Anderson, Buff Bagwell, D'Lo Brown, Perry Saturn, William Regal, Booker T, JBL, Ted DiBiase, Dallas Page, Christian Page, Scott Steiner, Scott Norton and Shane Douglas, especially Anderson, Brown, Regal and Douglas.

That's funny that you had a hard time cutting Sean Waltman and Buff Bagwell. Those two wouldn't even make my Top 100.

Your list is pretty good except for Nash. He was a pretty lousy worker and an even lousier booker, but I did like him when he was Diesel.

Last night on Raw, WWE held their Slammy awards. My man Jericho won Superstar of the Year. :hyper:

:banghead:
That's funny that you had a hard time cutting Sean Waltman and Buff Bagwell. Those two wouldn't even make my Top 100.

Your list is pretty good except for Nash. He was a pretty lousy worker and an even lousier booker, but I did like him when he was Diesel.

Last night on Raw, WWE held their Slammy awards. My man Jericho won Superstar of the Year. :hyper:

I loved him when he was Diesel, but the truth is I think he's on my list more for mic skills than anything else. Nash's entertainment factor is through the roof.

As far as Sean Waltman - I was a big nWo mark in the early days, and I thought his work as Syxx was awesome, especially the matches against Rey Jr. and Dean Malenko. His WWF stuff against Razor Ramon was fun, but I got bored with X-Pac very quickly.

Buff Bagwell may be more nostalgia than anything else. My cousin Josh was a big Bagwell mark and so I used to love to remind him how much Bagwell resembled George Michael. I even remember hanging a Bagwell action figure from the ceiling to annoy him when we were in middle school.

I wish I could have seen Raw - I saw parts. My wife has limited patience for wrestling - she encourages me to watch it when she feels bad for hogging the TV then gets really cranky about missing The Soup.

I agree with you about Nash. His mic work stood out way more than his in-ring skills.

I actually liked Bagwell when he first started in WCW and was known as Marcus Alexander Bagwell. But, then he got injured and it was all down hill for him afterward.

I liked Waltman when he was the 1-2-3 Kid. When he went to WCW to join his Clique buddies, he was still decent, but all that partying with Hall and Nash made him a joke. When he came back to the WWF, he had a pretty good run in the beginning, but towards the end he kind of fizzled out. He also helped introduce the term "X-Pac heat" to the wrestling vernacular. The fans would boo him not because they simply hated him, but because they just wanted him to go away for good. :wink:

Yeah, as for Bagwell being better as Marcus Alexander Bagwell, I have to agree. I love the Blockbuster as a finisher, but his tag team work was fantastic. The fact that he survived not only Stars and Stripes but The American Males is testament to that.

If you missed Raw, you can catch it again on Wednesday night on one of the Spanish channels. It was a pretty good show.

Just a heads up - FYE has some great WWE sales right now.

I got two 3 box set collections for $25 each yesterday

The Legends, Vol. 1
Bret Hart: The Best There Is, Was and Will Be (3 DVD)
Brian Pillman: Loose Cannon (2 DVD)
Jake "The Snake" Roberts: Pick Your Poison (2 DVD)

The Icons, Vol. 1
Hulk Hogan Ultimate Anthology (3 DVD)
McMahan (2 DVD)
Roddy Piper: Born to Controversy (3 DVD)

And also picked up the new Eddie DVD set for 22.

As for the other 3 Title Mega-Sets In Tin Boxes, they had two or three others. One had more Legends (Billy Graham, AWA, Dusty Rhodes) and another had three ECW PPVs.

So for a little over 70 bucks total, I got 7 box sets. I may trade in the Jake Roberts and McMahon ones since they're still wrapped, but I'm not sure. I definitely want to get Foley's before it's off the market.

Wow, nice shopping you did there!

I got the Bret Hart DVD when it came out 3 years ago. Its awesome! I have WWE On Demand so I've seen a few of those other DVD's like the Jake The Snake: Pick Your Poison DVD. That one was pretty good. When you watch that one, look out for Spanish announcer, Hugo Savinovich. I actually know him and service his sprinkler system every year. He's a great guy. He used to be married to WWF Womens Champion, Wendi Richter. I also saw the Brian Pillman DVD too. That was also good.

I got Mick's original DVD, but then WWE updated it and I think they added a few more matches.

FYE charges a lot for CD's, but they usually have a good selection of wrestling DVD's.

Well, last night WWE held their Armageddon PPV and from what I read, it was a pretty good PPV.

Obviously, the biggest news is that Jeff Hardy is the NEW WWE Champion after pinning Edge in their Triple Threat Match with HHH. :D

Let me repeat, Jeff Hardy is the new WWE Champion! Finally, WWE has given Jeff Hardy the title. :hyper:

Randy Orton is HANDS DOWN the BEST thing hapenning right now on RAW... and in all the WWE

His moves, postures, promos and the wrestling... all of him has a sense of danger, and like he's focused to be the best, as a character and as a person.

But his arms tatoos are bad... only The Undertaker can pull off 2 full tattoed arms, not him

Randy Orton is HANDS DOWN the BEST thing hapenning right now on RAW... and in all the WWE

His moves, postures, promos and the wrestling... all of him has a sense of danger, and like he's focused to be the best, as a character and as a person.

But his arms tatoos are bad... only The Undertaker can pull off 2 full tattoed arms, not him

I agree Randy has gotten better, but Jericho, right now, is still THE Best! Yes, Randy's arm tattoos look awful and only Taker can really pull that look off.

Too bad for Batista that he's out 6-8 months. He was getting back into the groove.

Right now, WWE's Top 10 wrestlers are:

1- John Cena
2- Jeff Hardy
3- Chris Jericho
4- Edge
5- Triple H
6- Randy Orton
7- Matt Hardy
8- Undertaker
9- Shawn Michaels
10- CM Punk

WWE has been releasing a number of performers recently. Last week, Val Venis got his pink slip after 10 years with the company. Yesterday, Sgt. Slaughter and Ron Simmons were both given their walking papers. That blows. These guys all busted their asses for the McMahon family.

Also, former 2 time WWE Womens Champion, Victoria, has announced her retirement and has wrestled her last match (which can be seen on this Friday's Smackdown when she battles Michele McCool).

Victoria was easily one of the best female wrestlers in the last 15 years or so and her ring skills will be sorely missed in WWE's women's division.

It looks like all of my pro wrestling peeps have abandoned me. :sad:

Anyway, for fun I just wanted to point out that today celebrates a truly historical day in pro wrestling history.

Back in 1984 at Madison Square Garden, Hulk Hogan defeated The Iron Sheik to become the new WWF Heavyweight Champion. I can't believe its already been 25 years. Sheik had defeated Bob Backlund in December 1983 to capture the championship after Backlund had been the champion for nearly 5 years. When Hogan beat The Sheik, he went on to hold the title for over 4 straight years. At the time, this was considered Hogan's first World Championship reign. This was also the day that HulkAMania first started running wild. Whatcha gonna do?

It looks like all of my pro wrestling peeps have abandoned me. :sad:

Anyway, for fun I just wanted to point out that today celebrates a truly historical day in pro wrestling history.

Back in 1984 at Madison Square Garden, Hulk Hogan defeated The Iron Sheik to become the new WWF Heavyweight Champion. I can't believe its already been 25 years. Sheik had defeated Bob Backlund in December 1983 to capture the championship after Backlund had been the champion for nearly 5 years. When Hogan beat The Sheik, he went on to hold the title for over 4 straight years. At the time, this was considered Hogan's first World Championship reign. This was also the day that HulkAMania first started running wild. Whatcha gonna do?

Good match too :up: I've been out of the loop since SS, but i'm lookin forward to the Rumble!

Good match too :up: I've been out of the loop since SS, but i'm lookin forward to the Rumble!

The Rumble came and went last Sunday and Randy Orton emerged as the winner. Who Randy will face at WrestleMania 25 is anyone's guess.

Also of note:
- Edge, once again, is the WWE Champion after defeating Jeff Hardy. Edge received help from an unlikely source. Matt Hardy. Looks like Matt's got some 'splainin' to do.

-John Cena retained his title despite HBK superkicking both JBL and Cena. Cena was able to defeat JBL with the move that WWE no longer calls the FU. The move is called the Death Valley Driver, but I doubt WWE is going to call it that either. Might be too scary for the kiddies.

-Melina defeated Beth Phoenix to become the new Womens Champion. Good for her. I like Melina.

Also, is anyone else amped about Legends of Wrestlemania? I know that the cartoony thing is a bit offputting in a way, but it kind of gives the characters a resemblence to the LJN wrestling figures of the 80s which is cool. Shame it won't have Savage. Savage was twice the wrestler Hogan was and even got solid matches out of the Ultimate Warrior, which is quite an accomplishment. That said, the revealed roster so far is promising, nice spread of 80s, New Generation, and early Attitude eras.

Hulk Hogan
Andre the Giant
Roddy Piper
Ultimate Warrior
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Steve Austin
The Rock

Bobby Heenan and Jimmy Hart are confirmed as playable managers, too. JR and King on commentary.

The FU is now known as "the Throwback."

I wouldn't really call it a Death Valley Driver, though. More a Death Valley Slam.

He already has a move called the Throwback. It's some variation of a fall away sidewalk slam. If you watched this past Monday's Raw or the Royal Rumble, the announcers NEVER named the move that Cena used to refer to as the FU. The move is officially called the Death Valley "Driver". Cena does do it a little differently, so it appears to be more of a slam. Wrestlers who used to use the DVD were Tommy Dreamer and Perry Saturn.

So, imagine this for a moment. Imagine if, all of a sudden, the WWF stopped calling The Rock's finisher The RockBottom and either called it something else or didn't call it anything at all. Because "Rockbottom" might not be so kid friendly. Here's, arguably your top Superstar, your Franchise or whatever you want to call him and your not even saying the name of his finisher. The finisher that's really supposed to pop the crowd and especially energize the viewers at home who can hear the announcers calling the action. Sounds ridiculous, right?

Well, right now, WWE is doing that with Cena. He's their Franchise and they haven't even had the brainpower to come up with something new yet. He appeared on both Rumble and the next night's Raw, and WWE still couldn't come up with a name for their Champion's finisher. I'm sure King and Cole felt like idiots out there not being able to say the name, but they're pros and value their jobs. They've been calling Cena's move the FU for so long, why do we all of a sudden give a shit? I guess WWE better destroy those "Ruck Fules!" shirts or all of the kiddies will be scarred for life.

The WrestleMania game looks awesome! I sold my Playstation2 a couple of years ago because I became too addicted to all the WWE games. Here Comes the Pain, I think, was actually the best WWE video game.

Savage was a better worker than Hogan by far, but he really must have done some fucked up shit for McMahon to not welcome him back to Titan Tower. I mean, Hell, McMahon even made up with Bret Hart for Christ's Sake! The rumor forever has been that Stephanie was somehow involved, but that's never been confirmed.

and then they wonder why we hate Cena... :angry:

it's funny.. my favorite wrestler roght now is RANDY ORTON.. he's on fire... and Jericho too

besides Bret Hart and Stone Cold, it seems I've always rooted for the bad guys... (how couldn't you love Austin in 98?)

HHH... now's a face, but since 98 and with more passion in 99 I've been his loyal fan
EDGE... what an amazing heel he is, and funny, too
RKO now...
JERICHO... I wanted him to come SAVE US from John Cena... but what he's doing's ok now. I really hope they can pull of Mickey Rourke wrestling at WM XXV,a nd NOT Ric Flair

1 1/2 months 'till WRESTLEMANIA :love:

Yeah, I got the Throwback thing from WrestleView, which of course proved wrong. Alas.

So, while I'm here, I thought I'd post the roster for Legends of Wrestlemania (minus hidden characters).

Wrestlers:
ANDRE THE GIANT
ARN ANDERSON
BAM BAM BIGELOW
BIG BOSS MAN
BIG JOHN STUDD
BRET HART
BRITISH BULLDOG
BRUTUS BEEFCAKE
DUSTY RHODES
GREG VALENTINE
HONKY TONK MAN
HULK HOGAN
HUNTER HEARST HELMSLEY
IRON SHEIK
JAKE ROBERTS
JIM DUGGAN
JIM NEIDHART
JIMMY SNUKA
JUNKYARD DOG
KAMALA
KING KONG BUNDY
KOKO B. WARE
LEGION OF DOOM
MICHAEL HAYES
MR. PERFECT
NIKOLAI VOLKOFF
RIC FLAIR
RICK RUDE
THE ROCK
RODDY PIPER
SGT. SLAUGHTER
SHAWN MICHAELS
STEVE AUSTIN
TED DiBIASE
ULTIMATE WARRIOR
UNDERTAKER
YOKOZUNA

Managers:
BOBBY HEENAN
JIMMY HART
MR. FUJI
PAUL BEARER

There are also, based on a briefly posted and quickly removed link on the official website, four hidden singles wrestlers and two tag teams. The singles wrestlers seem to be Don Muraco, Ricky Steamboat, and Earthquake while speculation is that one of the tag teams is Strike Force (Martel and Santana=win). The other singles one seems up for debate - IRS/Rotunda, Ramon (unlikely) or Owen Hart (more unlikely). As for the second tag team I have no clue.

The Create-a-Legend looks fantastic - looks like all of the parts from SVR 2009 and a TON of character-specific attire pieces for missing legends.

The import feature should be fun, too. Seems like we'll be limited to the big names from the current roster, but it's all just icing on the cake so I'm happy.

Given the scattershot nature of the roster, I'll probably be creating the following guys from the Golden, New Generation, and Attitude Eras:
Paul Orndorff
Bob Orton
The Dynamite Kid
Mankind
Randy Savage (the pieces for Wrestlemania VII and a few others are in CAL for sure)
Razor Ramon
Owen Hart
Diesel
1-2-3 Kid
Marty Janetty
Tully Blanchard
"The Narcissist" Lex Luger
IRS (awful gimmick, great wrestler who needs to be here for Money Inc.)
Kane
Goldust
Brian Pillman (though I may do him WCW style)
Sid Justice
Rick Steiner
Scott Steiner
"Double J" Jeff Jarrett
Billy Gunn
Al Snow
Vader

And of course a few WCW guys from the era:
Sting (classic surfer or even 1996 Bash at the Beach style)
Chris Benoit
Eddie Guerrero
Ron Simmons
Dallas Page
Dean Malenko
Booker T

I'm really hoping the following guys are importable from SVR09, as they were important to the era in some way, even if the gimmick has changed:
William Regal
Finlay
Chris Jericho (only if the classic attire is importable)
Kane (like Jericho, only if masked attire. Since it was Download only, I doubt it)
JBL
Big Show

So I just discovered the joy of Iron Sheik youtube videos...

Yes, especially the ones where he questions B. Brian Blair's sexuality. :wink:

Anyone catch the Smackdown where H finally admits that the McMahons are his in-laws and Steph is his wife and the mother of his children? So, now H must defend the "honor" of the Macs. Kooky, huh? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom