The Pro Wrestling Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planned to go to Wreslemania 27 next year in Atlanta. But due to the fact that I'll maxing out my vacation days for all the NA U2 shows next summer, I don't think I can go.:sad:

If anyone is going to Wrestlemania 27, don't forget to take some awesome pictures and post them here.:)

Yeah, your pics were great! WM 27 down in Hotlanta should be a great show. It'll be interesting to see if WWE inducts some former NWA/WCW guys into their Hall of Fame. Arn Anderson comes to mind. Maybe Barry Windham or Mike Rotunda/o. Hell, maybe even Randy "Macho Man" Savage. He is long overdue.

Rumor has it, that HHH is going to be the mystery 7th guy for Team WWE.

That was my guess, too. What's the scouting report? Is he healthy enough for a return?

BTW, Night of Champions 2010 seems to be a slow seller, and I was able to score some floor seats :D

That was my guess, too. What's the scouting report? Is he healthy enough for a return?

BTW, Night of Champions 2010 seems to be a slow seller, and I was able to score some floor seats :D

I'm not sure if he's healthy enough, but he was asked yesterday at an AXXESS VIP signing if he would be the seventh man for Team WWE and he winked and said "Who knows?". It was also reported that he looked in great shape. The debate for tonight is whether or not the tag match will be the main event considering the World/WWE title matches. Rey/Kane(c), Orton/Sheamus(c)
If HHH returns, they might save that for the end of the show. He also might get involved in Orton/Sheamus considering Sheamus put him out of action in the first place.

Congrats on your NOS tickets! Where is it being held?

Yeah, your pics were great! WM 27 down in Hotlanta should be a great show. It'll be interesting to see if WWE inducts some former NWA/WCW guys into their Hall of Fame. Arn Anderson comes to mind. Maybe Barry Windham or Mike Rotunda/o. Hell, maybe even Randy "Macho Man" Savage. He is long overdue.

Savage is a glaring exception to the Hall, as is Bruno Sammartino. McMahon, as I understand, has a very personal grudge with Savage that I don't see being resolved soon (unless I'm missing some recent development). Sammartino routinely refuses the honor, as he has disliked the way McMahon Jr. has run the company. Rumors persist about the Ultimate Warrior, but I don't think he deserves it anyway,

Savage is a glaring exception to the Hall, as is Bruno Sammartino. McMahon, as I understand, has a very personal grudge with Savage that I don't see being resolved soon (unless I'm missing some recent development). Sammartino routinely refuses the honor, as he has disliked the way McMahon Jr. has run the company. Rumors persist about the Ultimate Warrior, but I don't think he deserves it anyway,

Yeah, Bruno has refused many times. Allegedly, Warrior refused to be in the most recent induction. The rumors about McMahon and Savage's differences have been floating around for years. But, an olive branch was perhaps extended in recent years by WWE when they released a 3 disc DVD career retrospective of Savage. Aside from Bruno and a handful of other guys, Vince is running out of big names to induct.

Aside from Bruno and a handful of other guys, Vince is running out of big names to induct.

I think there are more than a few (I don't have a stranglehold on the list, so correct me if they've already been inducted): Rick Rude, Jake Roberts, Road Warriors, Hart Foundation (I realize Bret's already in), Shawn Michaels/The Rockers, Adrian Adonis, Rick Martel, The Rock, Davy Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, Bam Bam Bigelow, etc. Some of these might be a stretch, but so are some of the names already inducted.

I think there are more than a few (I don't have a stranglehold on the list, so correct me if they've already been inducted): Rick Rude, Jake Roberts, Road Warriors, Hart Foundation (I realize Bret's already in), Shawn Michaels/The Rockers, Adrian Adonis, Rick Martel, The Rock, Davy Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid, Bam Bam Bigelow, etc. Some of these might be a stretch, but so are some of the names already inducted.

I could see Rude getting in. Not sure about Jake, but it's possible. Definitely, the Road Warriors, Hart Foundation and Shawn Michaels (but not the Rockers). Martel and Bam Bam should get in. Obviously The Rock. If they induct Owen, Davey Boy should get in. I don't see Dynamite getting in. He burned his bridges with everyone. Adonis is a possibility, but I don't see it.

Keep in mind though, WWE usually inducts 7 legends at a time. Usually they use a top name to anchor that year's class like Flair, Hogan, Hart or Austin. I would definitely put Shawn Michaels or the Rock on their level. Road Warriors too.

I have to think that Hall, Nash and Foley will eventually get in, after their TNA stints are over.

Can't see Hall getting in. While he did have some good matches in the WWF, he was only there for 3 1/2 years when he was Razor Ramon. Nash has a slightly better chance because he was the WWF Champion for a year. His best run in the WWF was when he was Diesel from 1993 to 1996. Foley will definitely get in.

I think a good argument for Hall would be that he was one of the company's bright spots during a period when the WWF was hardly at it's peak (1992-1996). Great character (Razor), too. And obviously, it's not only WWF/WWE stints that are under consideration - Harley Race and Ric Flair's best work was not really with the WWE, and Nick Bockwinkel and Verne Gagne are even in!

Wow, breaking news:

Daniel Bryan is back in WWE and is the mystery partner for Team WWE against the Nexus at SummerSlam. Fuckin sweet! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

WWE just broke the news on their site.

I think a good argument for Hall would be that he was one of the company's bright spots during a period when the WWF was hardly at it's peak (1992-1996). Great character (Razor), too. And obviously, it's not only WWF/WWE stints that are under consideration - Harley Race and Ric Flair's best work was not really with the WWE, and Nick Bockwinkel and Verne Gagne are even in!

I know that WWE doesn't go by their stints with just WWF/E. But, Hall never won a major title and his best run was in the WWF from 92-96, which was uneven at times as well. Plus, his drug troubles and erratic behavior are also a major factor. Race, Flair, Bockwinkel and Gagne are all multi-time world champions who had long successful careers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hall was left out, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was inducted either. Keep in mind that titles aren't the whole story either. I think there'd be a pretty negative fan reaction if Roddy Piper was left out due to a lack title reigns. (Maybe an unfair comparison, as Piper is a bigger star and much, much more relevant to this history of pro wrestling than Hall).

I wouldn't be surprised if Hall was left out, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was inducted either. Keep in mind that titles aren't the whole story either. I think there'd be a pretty negative fan reaction if Roddy Piper was left out due to a lack title reigns. (Maybe an unfair comparison, as Piper is a bigger star and much, much more relevant to this history of pro wrestling than Hall).

The thing with Hall was that his career was kind of uneven. He achieved early success when he joined the AWA in the early to mid 80's. He never won the AWA title there, but he did capture the AWA Tag Team Championship with Curt Hennig. After the AWA, he went to NWA/WCW in 1989 and pretty much achieved nothing there and left in 1991.

In 1992, he finally got his big break when he joined the WWF and he and McMahon came up with the Scarface inspired Razor Ramon character. The WWF is where Hall achieved his biggest fame. He fought many top contenders, but was never able to capture the WWF Championship. He did, however, win the WWF's Intercontinental Championship 4 times. At that time, that was regarded as a big deal. Thanks to his drug issues though, McMahon would never put the WWF Championship on him. It was in the WWF, though, that Hall would earn his stripes as a wrestler. He proved that he was a good worker and could have a good match with anyone. But, he was only in the WWF for 3 1/2 years. Thanks to the reputation he earned in the WWF, he was able to parlay that into big bucks when he joined WCW in May 1996. In WCW, Hall was paid a lot more to work a lot less, talk a lot more and party a lot more with fellow pothead Kevin Nash. And good for him. I'm glad WCW pissed money away on him and all of the other guys WCW overpaid. 4 years after Hall debuted in WCW, he would be gone. A year after that, WCW would be dead. Eventually, Hall did return to the WWF in 2002, but he was only able to stick around for 2 months before they fired him. He also went to TNA too, but never was able to sustain any sort of momentum there.

So, let's glance at his career for a moment.

6 decent years in the AWA

2 years going nowhere slowly in NWA/WCW

3 1/2 solid years in the WWF

4 wasted years in WCW where he got paid a shitload of money to say "Hey yo!" and flick a toothpick from a gimmick that was created in the WWF but he wasn't able to use in WCW.

Sorry, but I just don't see Hall getting into the Hall.

Good argument! The guy certainly made his mark, but in retrospect, the HOF credentials are spotty at best.

Hard to tell whether Savage will be allowed in . . . depends on which story you believe regarding his departure from the company. Oddly enough, he apparently did cut a promo last month for a series of WWE action figures which debuted at Comic Con. You can find it on youtube.

Wrestlers I's rather they exclude from the Hall of Fame but might make the cut based largely on nostalgia: Sid Eudy (aka Sid Vicious/Justice), Ed Leslie (Brustus Beefcake), Ultimate Warrior, Bill Goldberg, Lex Luger and Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

Interesting that we mentioned Scott Hall. Yesterday, according to a New Jersey promotion he was supposed to make an appearance for, Hall checked himself into rehab. Allegedly on McMahon's dime too.

Interesting that we mentioned Scott Hall. Yesterday, according to a New Jersey promotion he was supposed to make an appearance for, Hall checked himself into rehab. Allegedly on McMahon's dime too.

Correction: Hall didn't go to rehab. He is in the hospital fighting pneumonia.

What's the deal with Flair? I don't watch TNA at all, but a few months ago I see him back in the ring, looking worse than ever and fighting some Mankind rip-off named Abyss. He's starting to look like the Brett Favre of wrestling. About a year after his tearful retirement (I've never seen a wrestler cry as much as him), there he is going at it again.

I thought this guy was overrated in his prime, but this past decade has just been painful. And it's obvious as can be that he's prolonging his career through some of the worst steroid abuse I've seen this side of Scott Steiner.

What's the deal with Flair? I don't watch TNA at all, but a few months ago I see him back in the ring, looking worse than ever and fighting some Mankind rip-off named Abyss. He's starting to look like the Brett Favre of wrestling. About a year after his tearful retirement (I've never seen a wrestler cry as much as him), there he is going at it again.

I thought this guy was overrated in his prime, but this past decade has just been painful. And it's obvious as can be that he's prolonging his career through some of the worst steroid abuse I've seen this side of Scott Steiner.

What's the deal? In a nearly 40 year career filled with 16 or 17 World titles reigns, 3 or 4 wives (I lost count) and countless amounts of money made, the jet-stealin', wheelin' and dealin', stylin' and profilin' Nature Boy never learned the fine art of saving his money. Hence, why he's still in the ring, wrestling for TNA and juicing like a stuck pig. The dude still needs to pay his bills. Trouble is, he's still living the high life and he can longer afford it. He can't get it through his head that it's not 1988 anymore and he's 61 years old now. Now, in fairness to Flair, he doesn't get in the ring as often as he used to, but when he does it ain't pretty for sure. He usually bleeds... a lot.

Also, in fairness to Flair, the man definitely intended to retire at WrestleMania. He hasn't wrestled a match in WWE since then. But, unfortunately, Flair's financial troubles have forced him to continue to have be involved with pro wrestling. He's got no choice and it's tough to watch when he gets in the ring and bleeds all over the place. And, hey, if TNA wants to pay him, I've got no problem with that.

As for Abyss, he is pretty much a hybrid of Mankind and old school Kane, but hey it's pro wrestling. Abyss is Ok. He does what he is asked of TNA. If you don't like him, blame TNA and their bad creative staff. Companies steal/borrow from other gimmicks from time to time. One big example that comes to mind is McMahon stealing the Road Warriors gimmick and creating Demolition. WCW stole the Ultimate Warrior gimmick with The Renegade.

I'm not sure that you can compare Flair to Favre. Favre plays a legitimate sport and gets paid way more than Flair. Plus, he's got those goddamn Wrangler commercials to fall back on. :wink:

Flair is a sports entertainer which a way different animal. Wrestling retirements are usually taken with a grain of salt. Mick Foley for example. Plus, he makes way less than Favre and, like I alluded to earlier, the dude needs every dime he can make. He sure as Hell ain't doing it because he loves wrestling so much.

Wow, hard to imagine that one of the business' all time biggest stars could need the cash at age 61. I know he's had some bad investments and business ventures, but it's sad that he would need to keep going. I thought he was doing it just to keep busy :lol:

Flair left a bad taste in my mouth a few years ago when I read his biography in which he blasted several easy targets (Ed Leslie, Larry Pfohl, Sid Eudy, etc.), as well as wrestlers who were arguably better (Bret Hart, Randy Savage). I remember reading Hart's response on his website (which I don't think is posted any longer) and thinking it was awesome.

One big example that comes to mind is McMahon stealing the Road Warriors gimmick and creating Demolition. WCW stole the Ultimate Warrior gimmick with The Renegade.

You know what I thought was funny. I was at a small, independent show in April, and several of the wrestlers were signing autographs beforehand. I saw Ax and Smash sitting about 6 feet away from Animal. I remember wondering if there was any animosity there . . .

Renegade still makes me laugh. What an ill-conceived idea (and WCW NEVER had any of those :rolleyes: )

Wow, hard to imagine that one of the business' all time biggest stars could need the cash at age 61. I know he's had some bad investments and business ventures, but it's sad that he would need to keep going. I thought he was doing it just to keep busy :lol:

Flair left a bad taste in my mouth a few years ago when I read his biography in which he blasted several easy targets (Ed Leslie, Larry Pfohl, Sid Eudy, etc.), as well as wrestlers who were arguably better (Bret Hart, Randy Savage). I remember reading Hart's response on his website (which I don't think is posted any longer) and thinking it was awesome.

You know what I thought was funny. I was at a small, independent show in April, and several of the wrestlers were signing autographs beforehand. I saw Ax and Smash sitting about 6 feet away from Animal. I remember wondering if there was any animosity there . . .

Renegade still makes me laugh. What an ill-conceived idea (and WCW NEVER had any of those :rolleyes: )

Shit, if I were Demolition, maybe I'd be pissed. When the Road Warriors first came to the WWF as the Legion of Doom, Demolition's popularity went down as a result. Probably because the fans were happy to finally get the real deal as opposed to Demolition's wanna-be act. :wink: But, if it weren't for them stealing LOD's act, they wouldn't have gone anywhere in the first place.

I'm not a big fan of Flair's either. His book is a load of horseshit. I respected his years in the business, but his last 16 or 17 have been pretty much shit with a few exceptions here and there. I'm not gonna say he was overrated because in his later years he was able to get by with very little talent left. That does take skill. Just ask Kevin Nash.

Oh yeah, if there's a guy who is still involved with wrestling because he's got nothing else to do, it's Bret Hart. He admitted as much recently. Plus, WWE is making sure to be very careful with Bret's physicality in the ring considering Bret's health challenges in the last decade. Hart managed his money well and has no financial problems that we know of. Much to the chagrin of Flair I would imagine. :lol:

Here is a link to a message board that has Hart's essay from 2004. I never liked Flair much, and I thought this was just great. I stumbled upon it a couple weeks after reading the Flair biography.

Bret Hart's Very Long Response To Ric Flair's Insults - BOARD OF LEGEND

Yeah, I read this when it was posted originally. Bret's been my favorite wrestler for a long time. If you wanna read a good autobiography, definitely check out Bret's book. He doesn't hold back, even on himself. :up:

It'd be nice if they told us who the RAW GM is at Night of Champions, but, somehow, I think they're gonna continue to draw this one out.

I'm bringing projectiles for Cole. I have floor seats, so I might be in range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom